Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

My completed rig and oh God it was worth the wait!

[attachment=10888:DSCF0358.JPG]

In the rack is an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, a Lego compressor and Korg DTR 2000B tuner with cool blue LEDs.

The cab is a DR BASS 2460D. It goes down to 37Hz and up to 20KHz!!! This thing sounds huge, about 1000 watts, very tight bottom end, even at high volumes. I know Robbie at RIM customs had a few 2460s for sale and i cant recommend them enough.

Cheers.

Edited by BassBalls

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='240826' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:07 PM']What makes you think adding a 15 will get a full tone?[/quote]
It adds the low end.... the 115 in my rig sounds rubbish on it's own, the 210 sounds pretty good, but i like having the 115 in there just to add that low end rumble to it, though it would be fine without it.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='241060' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:45 PM']erm…common misconception alert[/quote]Totally agree, if anything, another 4x10 would be best. My 3x10 is the lowest, baddest sounding cab I've heared.
It kept up with a Marshall 100 watt combo yesterday..... until it was turned up to 6. :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='241036' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:24 PM']It adds the low end.... the 115 in my rig sounds rubbish on it's own, the 210 sounds pretty good, but i like having the 115 in there just to add that low end rumble to it, though it would be fine without it.[/quote]
No - it adds phase cancellations and unpredictable sounds. How does adding, by your own admission, a rubbish sounding cab to a pretty good sounding cab make it sound better?

[quote name='BassBalls' post='240917' date='Jul 16 2008, 03:01 PM']My completed rig and oh God it was worth the wait!

In the rack is an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, a Lego compressor and Korg DTR 2000B tuner with cool blue LEDs.

The cab is a DR BASS 2460D. It goes down to 37Hz and up to 20KHz!!! This thing sounds huge, about 1000 watts, very tight bottom end, even at high volumes. I know Robbie at RIM customs had a few 2460s for sale and i cant recommend them enough.

Cheers.[/quote]
:) love it when the rack looks bigger than the cab :huh:

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='240826' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:07 PM']What makes you think adding a 15 will get a full tone?[/quote]

I don't know what the wrongs and the rights are all I know is I prefer my sound when I have a 4 x 10 and a 1 x 15, I think as with most things it's personal preference.

Finally got some pictures of my rig that don't suck.

I tend to use just the 2x10 for most gigs, just adding the 15 when I need some extra volume. I'm sure that the talk of phase cancellation etc is correct but I still like the sound I get from this set-up.

I always DI the head into the PA so what the audience hears is dependant on that anyway.

[url="http://img166.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=43168_DSCF0239_122_1157lo.JPG"][/url]

[url="http://img7.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=42857_DSCF0237_122_903lo.JPG"][/url]

[quote name='joegarcia' post='238797' date='Jul 13 2008, 10:18 PM']Looking good man. Good choice of mics too, love those Beyers on bass cabs. You should totally get a second rig on the go, don;t think i could ever go back to one now. :) Shame about your Sunn, never had any problems with mine whatsoever. Hope you get it back soon. Have you still got that Marshall DBS412? You could use that with the VBA and the Sunn with the Matamps couldn't you? That would be awesome.[/quote]
I do indeed. But it weighs soooooooo much, I really cant be done taking it anywhere! and my band mates certainly wouldnt help me!

[quote name='Tengu' post='241308' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:19 PM']I tend to use just the 2x10 for most gigs, just adding the 15 when I need some extra volume. I'm sure that the talk of phase cancellation etc is correct but I still like the sound I get from this set-up.

I always DI the head into the PA so what the audience hears is dependant on that anyway.[/quote]
Thats cool then cos its only your sound than matters.

[quote name='Tengu' post='241308' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:19 PM']Finally got some pictures of my rig that don't suck.

I tend to use just the 2x10 for most gigs, just adding the 15 when I need some extra volume. I'm sure that the talk of phase cancellation etc is correct but I still like the sound I get from this set-up.

I always DI the head into the PA so what the audience hears is dependant on that anyway.

[url="http://img166.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=43168_DSCF0239_122_1157lo.JPG"][/url]

[url="http://img7.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=42857_DSCF0237_122_903lo.JPG"][/url][/quote]
Looking good!...... & that 15 is a little familiar! :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='241139' date='Jul 16 2008, 06:11 PM']No - it adds phase cancellations and unpredictable sounds. How does adding, by your own admission, a rubbish sounding cab to a pretty good sounding cab make it sound better?[/quote]
Because when i put them together i can't hear the 115 as much as i can feel it, i like to be able to feel the bass as well as hear it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='241241' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:47 PM']I don't know what the wrongs and the rights are all I know is I prefer my sound when I have a 4 x 10 and a 1 x 15, I think as with most things it's personal preference.[/quote]

+1

Personal preference is definitely the bottom line, but it’s a very common misconception that larger drivers will have a lower frequency response than smaller drivers – the characteristics of drivers are dramatically changed or manipulated by their enclosures (cabs). Phase cancelation can be an issue as well when pairing cabs, not to mention that some high end multiple driver cabs can suffer from a degree of phase cancelation due to their poor design. I’ll explain further if you like, but I feel that I’d just be repeating myself (and others) from other threads.

The thing is everytime somebody posts a cab question they get told with great authority to get a 2x10/1x15 rig and its just plain wrong. Ok all the peeps using it may be happy with the sound and if its just stage monitoring who cares - unless its a big stage you wont hear the bottom cab anyway and it will just sound better cos its closer to your ears. But if the rig is FOH as well, and in a lot of small venues it must be, I'm betting that most have no idea what it sounds like FOH.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='242073' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:43 PM']The thing is everytime somebody posts a cab question they get told with great authority to get a 2x10/1x15 rig and its just plain wrong. Ok all the peeps using it may be happy with the sound and if its just stage monitoring who cares - unless its a big stage you wont hear the bottom cab anyway and it will just sound better cos its closer to your ears. But if the rig is FOH as well, and in a lot of small venues it must be, I'm betting that most have no idea what it sounds like FOH.[/quote]
[quote name='budget bassist' post='242164' date='Jul 17 2008, 09:15 PM']so what does it sound like FOH then?[/quote]
Mine sounds great. We usually get a couple of ladies up from the audience to do BV's. If the stage is too small I wander off into the crowd with my wireless.