Why become a member? ×

Bit tired of amps for sale

munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='948435' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:10 PM']B5R head runs at 300watts 4ohmes, 500watt 2ohmes. my cab runs at 400watts 4ohmes. adding a 2nd 4 ohme cab takes the head to 2ohmes and gives 500watts.

Im not sure where your getting your numbers from.[/quote]
Sorry, I misread an earlier post where you said the 4x10 was 400w @ 4ohm & mistook it for the head (problem with trying to read at work! lol).

You're quite right with your figures (I didn't know that your amp went to 2 ohms).

[quote name='skej21' post='948448' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:22 PM']I'm just trying to help the people who might want to find out how to find the possible output of a combo amp, like your thread was supposed to.

Not everyone on here is an expert in buying, selling and owning lots of amps like yourself.[/quote]

hahahaha ok no problem, i dont think you are trying to help. So dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you when you leave this thread matey. Unless you can contribute helpfully of course!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='948480' date='Sep 7 2010, 04:49 PM']Sorry, I misread an earlier post where you said the 4x10 was 400w @ 4ohm & mistook it for the head (problem with trying to read at work! lol).

You're quite right with your figures (I didn't know that your amp went to 2 ohms).[/quote]

to be honest I bought the cab first and the head 2nd. It was bought specifically because its 2ohmes. took bloody ages too.

I think again I have just talked myself into keeping the head and just getting a couple of 4 ohme 2x10's

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='947842' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:49 AM']Ok I am currently in the mood for a combo, however im sick and tired of folk posting amps for sale and using the max wattage that they can manage, even though to get this max wattage, an ext cab is req!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As we know combos either manage their full outputs on their own or some need an ext cab to drop its impedance for its maximum output.

Now technically its not false advertising as combos that do require an ext cab to maximise its output do actually go to whatever watts, however, would it be possible to actually give the combos output as it is?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or if thats not possible, to at least give us the heads up that an ext cab is required for this!!!!!!!!!!

I feel that folk use this grey area of information to try show that their amp is more powerful than it actually is and some people could be very easily misled into thinking they are getting more bang for their buck than they actually are!!!

Is it just me????[/quote]
If in the mood my son is off to the States and is selling a mint walkabout scout with extension cab a Fender USA P Bass minter and other odds and sods

Ok, Monk please take this in the spirit I mean it with the greatest of respect.

It's a bit of a strange thread all round really. I called into question your reasoning behind already owning a mismatched head and cab while you question why combos did not obviously state whether the amps and internal speaker were matched.

It just struck me as an odd gripe.

Then later you stated that your old hughes and kettner bk200 combo had an extention cab port. however adding this would have lowered the wattage.

This statement in itself is at odds with the the more watts = more volume thinking as the extra volume from adding the extra cab will more than compensate for the drop in watts.

I think that the first few posters are right and you may have lots of experience in buying and selling amps. But why? Are you struggling to find something that works without understanding certain principles? Perhaps you do need to do more research and ask more questions about gear.

You're now looking at 2x10s but that opens up another can of worms. I'm afraid that rather than online searching for bargains you need to get out and test some gear to see what works well.

I'm fairly new to the forum and don't know you from Adam so hope this comes across as meant.

Edited by TimR

When selling I tend to cut & paste the product spec along with whatever info I put, not that I sell on amps / cabs that often. I too always do a bit of research on gear when buying myself so I know a bit about it. I've always stuck with brands I know & like so thankfully haven't had any problems

Going back to the OP, I think part of the problem is that it's difficult for a seller to second guess all the info that a potential buyer might like to know. Some people might think it's obvious that the full wattage is only available with an extra cab - combos with the output wired in series are pretty scarce, so it might not occur to them to point out something which for them just isn't an issue. And, judging by the amount of threads about impedance, there are a fair few people who don't understand how overall impedance affects wattage. (I remember your thread about the H&K, and seem to recall there were a few raised eyebrows that it was wired for a series extension).

It might be useful for me to know the flat settings of an amps EQ, but I don't recall ever seeing an ad where this has been given. Why not? Possibly because the seller couldn't know that this might be important to me. And even if they did make a stab in the dark and guess correctly, often the manufacturers don't make this info available - SWR don't shout about their pronounced hump in the mids let alone let on what the the EQ should be set to for a flat response.

You're absolutely correct about this not being school though - after school you're rarely spoon fed info and have to research yourself. :)

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='948501' date='Sep 7 2010, 05:03 PM']hahahaha ok no problem, i dont think you are trying to help. So dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you when you leave this thread matey. Unless you can contribute helpfully of course![/quote]
This kind of personal abuse is totally unjustified IMHO.

[quote name='TimR' post='948642' date='Sep 7 2010, 07:06 PM']Then later you stated that your old hughes and kettner bk200 combo had an extention cab port. however adding this would have lowered the wattage.

This statement in itself is at odds with the the more watts = more volume thinking as the extra volume from adding the extra cab will more than compensate for the drop in watts.[/quote]
I'd have thought that 200W through one speaker would be louder than 100W through two speakers.

I can see where the OP's coming from, but I see the information as nice to have rather than essential.

[quote name='tauzero' post='949282' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:31 AM']I'd have thought that 200W through one speaker would be louder than 100W through two speakers.

I can see where the OP's coming from, but I see the information as nice to have rather than essential.[/quote]

Assuming that each speaker is only getting 50W then each one is producing 6dB less than the 200W single speaker. But two speakers added together gives a 3dB increase and by stacking them closely you could get another 3dB so they would effectively be the same volume. BUT you don't halve the power just because you double the impedance and you might get 133watts instead of 100watts. There's loads of other factors but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be quieter.

All I'm saying is that you wouldn't buy a car off the web based solely on its colour, what size the boot is and what the engine size is. Certainly you wouldn't buy it without driving it first or contacting the seller to find out how many miles it had on the clock. Is a 1.6 always faster than a 1.4. What does "faster " mean?