Why become a member? ×

Fret cleaning

willyf87

[quote name='willyf87' post='947566' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:45 PM']I noticed jim Dunlop make a fret cleaning pad, doesn't say much about what you can and can't do with it, anyone used this product?? Any other products out there?? I heard wire wool can be a bit harsh.[/quote]

I use the Planet Waves Fret Ploishing System which works very well:

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1339-planet_waves_pw_frp_fret_polishing_system"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/13...olishing_system[/url]

The template is a bit flimsy but its easy to make a more hard wearing one using a bit of thin clear plastic packaging material or something similar.

Avoid using wire wool as the loose bits make a beeline for your pups/cavities and are a devil to remove

Where do you buy it from Gaf?

[quote name='gafbass02' post='947914' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:09 AM']Seriously, honestly, All of you, try it just once and see what you reckon!
[url="http://www.gorgomyte.com/"]http://www.gorgomyte.com/[/url]

Especially impressive on warwicks bell frets.[/quote]

[quote name='gafbass02' post='948422' date='Sep 7 2010, 03:59 PM']I get mine straigt from gorgomyte.com. It's about a tenner I think[/quote]

Is it just me who reads this word and gets an unfortunate vision of greasy, bespectacled, long-haired, black t-shirt boys intently engaged in a long game of warhammer?

I use masking tape and wire wool if my frets are particularly bad.

Otherwise I use a thin plastic card which has got a fret sized hole cut in it and wire wool.

I use Dunlop 65 lemon oil. Or beeswax on a maple board.

These are the only ways :)

Edited by bigjohn

A tip from Patrick Eggle to give your frets a great polish.
1) Cork sanding block
2) Old t-shirt
3) buffing wax candle/jewellers resin paste
Wrap cloth tight round cork block, rub a little of the wax/paste on then go up and down the frets & across them for a couple of minutes with the block. Comes out great, fretboard may need a bit of a clean afterwards but it makes the frets really shine and takes out all the small scratches

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='948824' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:15 PM']Is it just me who reads this word and gets an unfortunate vision of greasy, bespectacled, long-haired, black t-shirt boys intently engaged in a long game of warhammer?[/quote]

Hah hah. No not just you! It's also the name of the toys from that film where the toys all tried killing each other (toy soldiers?)

Used "Kyser Klassics Dr Stringfellow" Lem-oil on my Gibson Les Paul, made a right mess of it. It dried the fret board out, turning it white, and where I accidently splashed it on the body of the guitar, it dissolved the nitro-cellulose laquer! Luckilly I managed to repair the damage done but would never ever touch this stuff again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow up - I took Gaf's word for it and ordered some Gorgomyte from JJ in the States at Gorgomyte.com. Not only was the shipping super fast (less than a week!) but it is a great product.

My '97 P bass's frets had gone green around the edges and it was in a pretty shabby state. After a going over with Gorgomyte the frets are shiny again and the fret board is nice and clean too!

A big +1 for this stuff from me.

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='gafbass02' post='947914' date='Sep 7 2010, 08:09 AM']Seriously, honestly, All of you, try it just once and see what you reckon!
[url="http://www.gorgomyte.com/"]http://www.gorgomyte.com/[/url]

Especially impressive on warwicks bell frets.[/quote]

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='948824' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:15 PM']Is it just me who reads this word and gets an unfortunate vision of greasy, bespectacled, long-haired, black t-shirt boys intently engaged in a long game of warhammer?[/quote]

Oi, that was me in my early teens (apart from the glasses).

And I was always more of a 40k man.

I use 0000 super fine wire wool to lightly buff the surface of the wood, make sure you cover pickups and switches/volume/tone controls, so no filings get in them, then polish it with gerlitz guitar honey! makes it brand new looking and feeling! the honey is about £5.50 from amazon [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gerlitz-Guitar-Honey-Fretboard-conditioner/dp/B000EEJF4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1284944665&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gerlitz-Guitar-Hon...4665&sr=8-1[/url]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='961696' date='Sep 19 2010, 11:05 PM']Just as a follow up - I took Gaf's word for it and ordered some Gorgomyte from JJ in the States at Gorgomyte.com. Not only was the shipping super fast (less than a week!) but it is a great product.

My '97 P bass's frets had gone green around the edges and it was in a pretty shabby state. After a going over with Gorgomyte the frets are shiny again and the fret board is nice and clean too!

A big +1 for this stuff from me.

Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

Hooray! Good times, it really is fab the fender custom shop use it now. No faffing around either, I'm out though i need some more! And JJ is a really lovely bloke, scared me a bit when he grabbed my bass and started rubbing the frets all those years back but immglad he did!!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='961810' date='Sep 20 2010, 08:05 AM']Hooray! Good times, it really is fab the fender custom shop use it now. No faffing around either, I'm out though i need some more! And JJ is a really lovely bloke, scared me a bit when he grabbed my bass and started rubbing the frets all those years back but immglad he did!![/quote]

I am getting too old and lazy for the whole masking tape and brasso, lemon oil sh*t. My Warwick in particular gets a bit roughed up. So I took your advice and got a 3-4-2 deal from JJ. Not arrived yet. Always worried that anything that sounds too good to be true is too good to be true.

Don't be worried Richard, it's just a simple product that works.
I was a bit sceptical but the proof's in the pudding.

All I will say is it gets an incredible amount of dirt off the frets and 'board which smear around and all over the place until you buff it off as directed so don't be disheartened half way through!

As Gaf said - Give it some elbow grease!

Cheers,
Jon

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='961831' date='Sep 20 2010, 08:42 AM']I am getting too old and lazy for the whole masking tape and brasso, lemon oil sh*t. My Warwick in particular gets a bit roughed up. So I took your advice and got a 3-4-2 deal from JJ. Not arrived yet. Always worried that anything that sounds too good to be true is too good to be true.[/quote]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='961900' date='Sep 20 2010, 09:58 AM']Don't be worried Richard, it's just a simple product that works.
I was a bit sceptical but the proof's in the pudding.

All I will say is it gets an incredible amount of dirt off the frets and 'board which smear around and all over the place until you buff it off as directed so don't be disheartened half way through!

As Gaf said - Give it some elbow grease!

Cheers,
Jon[/quote]

cheers, elbow grease doesn't appeal so I will need to convince my kids that rubbing down the frets and fretboard of my basses is fun, or at least if they do it they'll get an ice cream. Obviously they'll need to get down from up the chimney first.

Like it Centurion, Like it :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='962145' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:33 PM']cheers, elbow grease doesn't appeal so I will need to convince my kids that rubbing down the frets and fretboard of my basses is fun, or at least if they do it they'll get an ice cream. Obviously they'll need to get down from up the chimney first.[/quote]