Why become a member? ×

What to buy?!

skej21

Basically, I have just come into some money and need a list of things that I could buy but that could be easily justified to the other half (or hidden away! :lol:)

We're currently engaged and there's less than a year to "the big day" but this money was a bonus (see full details below) so she'll never know it was gone! YEY!

I had about £950 to play with but I'm making the wise decision to give the other half £150 towards her wedding shoes as a 'sweetener' so she won't ask as many questions :o, so about £800 to play with :)

[u]*insert boring bit*[/u]
I came into this money through an insurance claim.

My car was parked up overnight on the street where it always is and a taxi driver crashed into it (writing it off in the process) and drove away without leaving details, but luckily two witnesses took his details/a photo on their iphones (long live the iPhone!) and he has swiftly admitted liability.

This meant a big fat cheque from his insurance company who have offered me enough money to pay for a replacement car and a year's tax, with the added bonus of the additional £800! (Big thanks to my mechanic dad sorting me out with a cheap replacement motor!)
[u]*end boring bit*[/u]

Obviously the sensible thing would be to pay off the insurance for next year too, but that would diminish what I think is a reasonable little 'pot of gold' :o

So come on guys. Help me spend my £800! :rolleyes:

Edited by skej21

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='943616' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:34 PM']what do you have and what sort of thing are you going for?[/quote]

Ooops, that would be a good start.

Currently have a 70s Jazz Bass, RI 50s P Bass, Aguilar GS112 and Markbass LMIII which is rackmounted alongside a Korg DTR1000. Also have the Aguilar TLC compressor along with flightcases/hardcases for all instruments and cabs from previous touring.

Have NO idea what I'm after. Maybe another bass, another cab? I honestly have no idea! But it will be something fun no doubt.

All suggestions welcome :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='943610' date='Sep 2 2010, 04:32 PM']...two witnesses took his details/a photo on their iphones (long live the iPhone!)...[/quote]

Makes you proud to be human! :)

I guess you're thinking in terms of bass gear? In which case depending on what you're after (amps/cabs or a bass) £800 can get you far. Either that or you can just create yourself a bass fund bank account, and dip into it when something you really want comes along! Just because you have it doesn't mean you need to spend it right away. Keep your eye on the BC marketplace and the eBay links, and when you see something you like go for it! :rolleyes:

OOOOH! I've always LOVED this; [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_75_jazz_bass_rw_natur.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_75_jazz_bass_rw_natur.htm[/url]

Maybe second hand for £800? *wishful thinking*

I've always found that the 75 RI with the rosewood neck is an elusive creature even at an unreasonable price! :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='945130' date='Sep 4 2010, 02:01 AM']How much are this woman's shoes that she's planning to wear for a day?[/quote]

That's the point mate. She didn't want to spend a stupid amount on shoes at all. But you can either get average priced ones (upto like £30) and then the price jumps up to like £80-150.

So i thought, seem as I don't need all the money and it's an easier way to keep her sweet, I'd just give her a small amount of the "free" money and that would keep her happy.

Turns out that it worked! She thinks its the best thing ever to have a frivilous shoe budget that she never expected, and it's no skin off my nose AT ALL. Win win.

As for the Aggy Cab, I think you're right.

[quote name='Max Normal' post='944706' date='Sep 3 2010, 04:43 PM']I'd get a s/h ampeg SVT2pro to compliment your Markbass. I found Markbass a bit hifi for my own personal tastes, but than I do like the sound of valves......[/quote]

I didn't think it would be long before someone suggested the ever-involved Ampeg.

I should have really mentioned, NO AMPEG as I'm not the biggest fan at all.

I gig quite frequently and the Markbass/Aggy combination is fantastic for getting "my tone", easy to carry/transport and I'm keeping it.
"Upgrading" to a heavier, bulkier amp with delicate valves that are more likely to break if i'm lugging it about 3 times a week, is not my idea of a good investment.
Plus, the ampeg couldn't compliment the Markbass, as the Markbass LMIII is also an amp, so then i'd have to use one OR the other with my aggy cab and at the moment the markbass is GREAT, so I won't be "upgrading" it.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' post='946909' date='Sep 6 2010, 09:10 AM']"Upgrading" to a heavier, bulkier amp with delicate valves that are more likely to break if i'm lugging it about 3 times a week, is not my idea of a good investment.[/quote]

You should have been here last week. :)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='946992' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:50 AM']There was some ermm, "spirited" discussion of whether any amp in the history of space could possibly compete with an Ampeg SVT.[/quote]

Hehe. I'm quite aware that arguing with an Ampeg lover is like arguing with your other half. It seems like a good idea at the time, but you lost the argument before you even opened your mouth!

+1 to a second Aggie cab. That'd be the first thing I'd do with £800... and since all those black boxes look alike another can appear right under her-indoors nose without raising an eyebrow! After that I'd be lost - but apparently the Mex 70's classic series jazz (rw neck, pearl inlays) is very nice for the money. Should be possible to manage both used and have change for a curry!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='947044' date='Sep 6 2010, 11:41 AM']+1 to a second Aggie cab. That'd be the first thing I'd do with £800... and since all those black boxes look alike another can appear right under her-indoors nose without raising an eyebrow! After that I'd be lost - but apparently the Mex 70's classic series jazz (rw neck, pearl inlays) is very nice for the money. Should be possible to manage both used and have change for a curry![/quote]

Problem is, the only spare Jazz I had that could have been used for a project has been sold on. Would have to buy a new loaded body etc, so it would be easier to just buy a new bass.

I am sold however. New Aggy it is :)

[quote name='yorick' post='947052' date='Sep 6 2010, 11:47 AM']Decent laptop and some recording software/hardware.[/quote]

Already have a Digidesign 003, Macbook pro and logic/pro tools for the general recording and remote recording work I do.

Nice suggestion though.

I'd love a decent recording setup. I've had years of band politics and I'm fed up with it, I just want to do something creative for my own amusement at home. However I'm thick and skint. So even if I had the money to get some gear together, I'd never be able to work out how to use it.

As there are a lot of suggestions for more backline I'm going to swim against the tide and say get a Stingray of some sort then you'll have the Fender Trinity, P, J, Ray.

However, another cab or trading in your current cab and getting a 2x12 makes sense too. Nice to have the choice and money eh?

I'm planning to sell my Wizard 64 and Bad Ass II equipped Squier VM Jazz (70's style with maple neck and natural body) Neepheid made me a rosewood thumb rest and I also have a front pickup cover for it too. PM me if that floats your boat.

[quote name='Doc B' post='948058' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:32 AM']I'm planning to sell my Wizard 64 and Bad Ass II equipped Squier VM Jazz (70's style with maple neck and natural body) Neepheid made me a rosewood thumb rest and I also have a front pickup cover for it too. PM me if that floats your boat.[/quote]

I know this has long passed in the discussion, but I've decided to buy an extra Aggy cab (GS112) with the cash.

So, as for the Squier, I'll have to pass up the offer mate. Cheers though.

Edited by skej21

I'm going to be controversial.

You have enough gear. Put the money towards the wedding.

And who gives a monkeys about how much the shoes cost. As long as she feels like $1m on the day.

Doesn't sound like that car will last for ever, either...

[quote name='Heathy' post='948693' date='Sep 7 2010, 07:40 PM']I'm going to be controversial.

You have enough gear. Put the money towards the wedding.

And who gives a monkeys about how much the shoes cost. As long as she feels like $1m on the day.

Doesn't sound like that car will last for ever, either...[/quote]

True. However, she did look really happy when I gave her the money for the shoes because she didn't want to "waste" money on a pair she'd seen but considered a little over-priced, but I could tell she really liked them but didn't want it to affect the budget. So she was chuffed that she could spoil herself a bit without worrying.

Without meaning to sound soppy, it was worth doing it just to see how excited and suprised she was :)

As for the car, I probably wasn't clear. The car that was crashed into was written off, hence the big cheque. As for the replacement, it was "cheap" considering my dad is a mechanic and managed to pull some strings to get me something very reliable for nearly the same price as the one that was written-off (which had lasted for nearly 6 years and countless gigging miles) so I have trust that the new one will run for a good few years with no real problems :rolleyes: