Why become a member? ×

Know the notes on your fretboard, learn to read music and train your ear

vellebelle

Hi there

I made a little online application that you might find useful. It's a fretboard trainer that will help you learn the notes on your bass, assist you in reading and transcribing music and train your ear.

www.fretboard-trainer.com

It's still pretty basic stuff, but I plan to upgrade in once in a while..

Please check it out and let me know what you think.. Any suggestions for improvements will be appreciated :)

Hey, i think that's pretty cool. improvements i would suggest:

- I think the addition of frets 12-24 (possibly as an advanced option rather than standard) would be great (i personally can read fine upto about 12th fret, ok to 17th adn then struggle above that)

-Maybe add a treble clef option, either at pitch, or up the octave, this would be great for me

-Also i think your B string is a bit sharp on thsoe reocrdings, btu maybe that's just my ear

-another quirk might be longer samples or a sound hold functon for playing about with chords (and if it could recognise them that would be amazing, but i assume far more complex)

Otherwise, great tool, thanks for sharing.

Robin

Not bad, but definitely change the scale length. Similarly to the way that you give the option of 4 & 5-string grids, you should have a drop down menu offering both 20 & 24-fret versions. While I am very"old school" in that the real learning of the notes on your bass, reading applications and ear training should be based on "flight time" that you put in on your instrument, these online applications can definitely enhance the learning process when you can't get to a bass. With that in mind, don't use these applications as the direct source to your improvement. The direct source is YOU putting in the practice time with your instrument- you have to bond with your axe. This is like:

Old school meets new school, meets old school again.

Peace

Joe

Edited by Joe Hubbard Bass

+1 to the above suggestions re: scale etc.

Perhaps an option for 5 string with high 'C'

If your site helps even one person - then you can count it as a success - and that includes me. - many years ago, my music teacher was upset that he had to use the word "abysmal" for my grasp of theory, because this left him no other word to describe my grasp of the practical side.

[quote name='arsenic' post='937853' date='Aug 27 2010, 09:57 AM']+1 to the above suggestions re: scale etc.

Perhaps an option for 5 string with high 'C'

If your site helps even one person - then you can count it as a success - and that includes me. - many years ago, my music teacher was upset that he had to use the word "abysmal" for my grasp of theory, because this left him no other word to describe my grasp of the practical side.[/quote]

I would have thought your teacher would have taken you by the hand and figured out a way to teach you strong fundementals rather than calling you abysmal.

Peace

Joe

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' post='937957' date='Aug 27 2010, 11:38 AM']I would have thought your teacher would have taken you by the hand and figured out a way to teach you strong fundementals rather than calling you abysmal.[/quote]

He did take me by the hand - but I think his intention was to break my fingers so that I would never be able to pick up an instrument and annoy anyone ever again.....

Seriously though - this was back in 1976/77, and I was a snot nosed little tw@t - It wasn't until a few years later , that I realised I should have taken things a lot more seriously................the joy of hind-sight I suppose.

fantastic. simple to use and informative-which is what I assume you were aiming for?
If so, mission accomplished man.

Only recommendations for updates I would suggest have already been made (5 or 6 string maps, alternate tunings etc)
Who really uses any frets after the 12th anyway?! :) :rolleyes:

Great job!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hoiho' post='952016' date='Sep 10 2010, 05:09 PM']Don't encourage the b*gg*rs![/quote]

:)

Brilliant tools, both the guitar and bass ones. I'll recommend them to one or two of my friends who are just starting to pick up the guitar, one of them seems to be really into learning through experimenting and improvising and I can see this really helping him.

[quote name='hoiho' post='952016' date='Sep 10 2010, 05:09 PM']Don't encourage the b*gg*rs![/quote]

:)

Brilliant tools, both the guitar and bass ones. I'll recommend them to one or two of my friends who are just starting to pick up the guitar, one of them seems to be really into learning through experimenting and improvising and I can see this really helping him.

• 5 months later...

Well, sorry but I haven't updated the fretboard trainer for a while.. The reason is, that I've been working on another project. It's an online ear training tool that'll help you develop your inner musical ear. It's still in a beta version, but we're working on improving it all the time. If you care to check it out, click this link..

[url="http://www.earbeater.com"]Free Online Ear Training - EarBeater[/url]

I hope you fellow bass players will like it. .And feel free to share the link. Thank you :-)

Morten