Why become a member? ×

Postage on this cab is a bit over the top

molan

[quote name='Paul_C' post='929218' date='Aug 18 2010, 11:14 PM']"this is a collection only item.
paypal or cash on collection."

no need to enquire further, shirley ?[/quote]

He says that in the text but have you checked the listed postage price?

I only noticed because I sometime search by "show highest priced items inc P&p first"

This came top of the list by a considerable margin :)

I posted a 50w practice combo the other day and was amazed at just how bad the postage was - £25 on Parcel Force 48. I kind of knew when I saw this, it was just his way of saying "Buyer collects". He is new to the site and doesn't realise you can just select that option. I'd love to know how to get the prices down. I always seem to spend a fortune on postage costs & would love to get it down.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='929362' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:50 AM']I posted a 50w practice combo the other day and was amazed at just how bad the postage was - £25 on Parcel Force 48. I kind of knew when I saw this, it was just his way of saying "Buyer collects". He is new to the site and doesn't realise you can just select that option. I'd love to know how to get the prices down. I always seem to spend a fortune on postage costs & would love to get it down.[/quote]

Interparcel is a good place to start - they are effectively a broker for a number of different delivery services so you get to see who's cheapest across DHL / Fedex / Citylink /TNT etc.

Watch out for the fact that the opening prices they quot are ex VAT & insurance over £50 costs extra. this latter part can double costs if you've got something worth over £500 or so.

It's worth trying to measure weight & dimensions accurately as well - this can make quite a difference with some services.

Interparcel are super helpful if a parcel goes missing or there's any dispute with the shipper.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='929362' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:50 AM']I posted a 50w practice combo the other day and was amazed at just how bad the postage was - £25 on Parcel Force 48. I kind of knew when I saw this, it was just his way of saying "Buyer collects". He is new to the site and doesn't realise you can just select that option. I'd love to know how to get the prices down. I always seem to spend a fortune on postage costs & would love to get it down.[/quote]

I use work's courier service, and quite often don't pay more than £17.00 on most items. If you can do this, that's the way to go. Everything is insured, and if it goes tits up you have work to back you up on a claim! :) I recently sent an Ashdown Little Giant fully boxed to Holland, Royal Mail wanted £45 to post it, the courier cost me £13 in the end!

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='929465' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:16 AM']I use work's courier service, and quite often don't pay more than £17.00 on most items. If you can do this, that's the way to go. Everything is insured, and if it goes tits up you have work to back you up on a claim! :) I recently sent an Ashdown Little Giant fully boxed to Holland, Royal Mail wanted £45 to post it, the courier cost me £13 in the end![/quote]
Ditto. They do next day at very reasonable rates. A baritone sax in case was around £8 and a couple of other chunky items that presently escape me were about £10.

As Barrie says, Interparcel have a next day delivery service starting from £8 which will take a cab or combo under 25kg (or was it 40kg?) so long as you don't mind taking a gamble on it not getting damaged... unless it's a cheapie combo/cab in which case you have nothing to lose! There services go up and £15 gets you £150 insurance but as noted the service goes up to about £40-£50 if you are talking insurance up to £1000+ Basses fit in with their size restriction but ensure the service that you select (you get the choice of a few inc UPS TNT etc) doesn't exclude musical instruments. Loads of info on a 'stickie' elsewhere.