Why become a member? ×

2 LH500 outputs - 1 cabinet

Roob

Hi there,

Was just putting all my gear in a new rack case and was putting a splitter in to have mp3 player and guitar plugged in at the same time, and wondered...

If I was to put one of these splitter cables (Y-Harness, female to 2 males), in both the speaker outputs of my Hartke LH500 and then plug them into the one input on my Hartke Hydrive 410, would I be able to send the double the power to the cab, and effectively send the full 500w from the amp (rather than the 250 or whatever it is with one output at 8ohms), or would it just go pop? The cab is rated at 1000watts at 8ohms.

So it would look something like this..

LH500 Output><---\____<>Hydrive 410 Input
LH500 Output><---/

Rather than the usual...

LH500 Output><---\____<>Hydrive 410 Input
LH500 Output|

I tried to work it out logically but have no experience to draw upon for this particular example!

Roob

No, you wont get more power. It's the electrical resistance of your cab that will dictate how much current it draws from the amp, in this case, it's 8ohms so will draw approx half your amps power. The only way for you to get the full 500 watts will be to either connect another 8ohm cab along with your current one, or use a single 4ohm cab.

What you plan on doing is most probably going to result in shorting your outputs together & do some damage to your amp.
There's also a misjudged idea that getting the full power from an amp into a 4 ohm cab is going to result in 1.5 - 2x the loudness of what you get from an 8 ohm cab, when in reality you will only get a very slight increase (in most cases, but not all).
Adding more cabs moves more air, giving more loudness (volume). Best idea would be to get another HyDrive 410

Thanks for clarifying that! I had my suspicions but wasn't too sure. All makes sense now. I had this idea in my head that by shoving twice as much power into the cab it would shift more air, this is of course not the case :).

I should probably just take the plunge and fork out for a Hydrive 115 and be done :rolleyes:

[quote name='Roob' post='927791' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:42 PM']Thanks for clarifying that! I had my suspicions but wasn't too sure. All makes sense now. I had this idea in my head that by shoving twice as much power into the cab it would shift more air, this is of course not the case :).

I should probably just take the plunge and fork out for a Hydrive 115 and be done :rolleyes:[/quote]

Dont get the 115, get another 410, if more volume of the same basic tone is what you want (you'll get just as much bass, a 15 does NOT equal more bass than a 410, total myth).

[quote name='Roob' post='927791' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:42 PM']I had this idea in my head that by shoving twice as much power into the cab it would shift more air, this is of course not the case :).[/quote]

Actually it does but probably not as much as you think.

Is the LH500 not a single channel amp? So what you're looking at are two speaker connections in parallel, not two separate outputs. So plugging them both into one cabinet although harmless would also be pointless. They are there so you can connect two cabs to the back of your amp and get the full output because the amp would see a 4 ohm load (provided they were both 8 ohm cabs).

Edited by AndyMartin

The LH500 is a single power amp head and the output connections are in parallel. No extra output can be gained with the Y cables described above.

The LH1000 has two 500W power amplifiers in and can be bridged. (1000W RMS into 4 Ohms)