Why become a member? ×

Gaffa tape, curtain pole and a few odds and sods.

paul h

In a desperate attempt to stop myself from buying chocolate doughnuts I decided to build a new bass out of an old curtain pole and some spares I had lying around. Everything is attached by either nails or gaffa tape. Played through a Zoom B2 and an Ashdown combo. Recorded on a stills camera.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='924116' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:42 PM']haha brilliant! Did you just tape a pickup, a bridge, a tuner and a jack to a curtain pole? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Bridge and tuner? Nothing that fancy. :lol:

I put a nail through the ball end of the string to fix it the headstock end. Then I nailed a saddle from a bridge at each end. The other end of the string is passed through the hole for the intonation screw on the saddle. It stays there thanks to an electrical connector. Then I wedged a guitar slide under the string t act as a bridge. The pickup is attached to the jack with electrical tape and all gaffa taped into place.

:)

That's a fantastic bit of improvised construction - sounds great too.

I actually built this for an American friend of mine for his birthday, out of stuff I had knocking about at home and bits I picked up on eBay for peanuts. The 'body' is a bit of floor joist left over from the repairs to my kitchen floor after a Boxing day water leak, the nut and bridge are made from scrap aluminium angle. The tuner is a Schaller M4 (eBay - £3.50), and the pickup is from an old 70s Strat copy, which was donated FOC by a guy on another forum. Strung with a .46 E string from an old Les Paul, and plugged into an overdrive pedal - played with a slide it sounds awesome : really loud - instant Seasick Steve. I had to make a case - to take it to the states as 'hand luggage' (amazed I got it on board actually, as it's really heavy and would have made a good weapon, but there you go) , and the hardware for that case cost more than the diddly bow!

I have some spare parts left over - so I'm thinking of making another one now.

[attachment=57156:Reduced_1.jpg]
A

• 1 month later...