Why become a member? ×

Norman Watt-Roy

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='921398' date='Aug 11 2010, 11:10 AM']What are people's opinions on Norman Watt-Roy. Both his playing, and his riffs and grooves?

[url="http://www.we7.com/#/song/Ian-Dury/Wake-Up-And-Make-Love-With-Me+1"]http://www.we7.com/#/song/Ian-Dury/Wake-Up...-Love-With-Me+1[/url][/quote]

I want to be reincarnated as him.

Not fair that he's a good looking devil as well as a wonderfully groovy player. But where is there justice in this world?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='921532' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:56 PM']I'm a big fan of Ian Dury and anybody who would put up with him.[/quote]

I watched the BioPic with Andy Serkis last night, and I've been listening to a lot of Blockheads music, from "New Boots and Panties" through to their recent album "Staring Down the Barrel". I"m really enjoying the bass lines. Sometimes before when I've said that I like certain bass lines, there's been the comment "sounds like a guitarist playing bass". I was curious to hear if anyone would say it here.

There's an unusual sound in "George, The Human Pigeon" that I'm wondering if it's bass or not. I don't know how to describe it, but think that anyone who listens to it will know what sounds I mean. [url="http://www.we7.com/#/song/The-Blockheads/George-The-Human-Pigeon"]http://www.we7.com/#/song/The-Blockheads/G...he-Human-Pigeon[/url] Oh yes, there it is in the intro, and it certainly sounds like bass. That's one thing I'm enjoying with his bass playing. Even in songs with quite simple root (down) 5th root 5th, there are interesting little bits and pieces in the songs.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='921532' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:56 PM']I'm a big fan of Ian Dury and anybody who would put up with him.[/quote]

What do you think of Derek the Draw taking over the Dury role? He's clearly functioning as Dury Mk. 2. in the band, but while such a thing is usually a travesty, particularly when it was a record company decision that DtD would do all the lead vocals, IMHO with The Blockheads it works.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='921544' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:03 PM']What do you think of Derek the Draw taking over the Dury role? He's clearly functioning as Dury Mk. 2. in the band, but while such a thing is usually a travesty, particularly when it was a record company decision that DtD would do all the lead vocals, IMHO with The Blockheads it works.[/quote]

I've not heard Staring Down The Barrel - is it any good? I think Derek's a decent pick as a singer of Ian's songs but he's not such a front man and of course he won't write like Ian, which was Ian's biggest talent.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='921581' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:35 PM']I've not heard Staring Down The Barrel - is it any good? I think Derek's a decent pick as a singer of Ian's songs but he's not such a front man and of course he won't write like Ian, which was Ian's biggest talent.[/quote]

If you're in the UK, you can listen to it for yourself: [url="http://www.we7.com/#/album/The-Blockheads/Staring-Down-The-Barrel"]http://www.we7.com/#/album/The-Blockheads/...Down-The-Barrel[/url] Personally I think it's excellent, but why accept my opinion when you can make your own mind up.

DtD writes differentlly, but does do some pseudo-Ian things. "A little knowledge" is a pure "list" song like "Reasons to be Cheerful pt. 3" mixed in with There ain't half been some clever b'tards. He's witty and an interesting writer. His favourite topics are ecology/environment and the economy/class structure. When ID became more serious, the lyrics were often about himself and his own troubles. DtD is more general.

I've got to be careful here as I'm wandering off topic. I did post to discuss Norman Watt-Roy's basslines, honest guv! But I must admit that it's too easy for me to slip into spamming mode as I believe that it's an excellent album that a lot of people would enjoy, and it's a shame more people haven't heard it.

[quote name='molan' post='921582' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:36 PM']I really like watching him with Wilko Johnson - he gets quite a different sound to his, recorded, Blockheads tone. Really big & punchy through a Trace rig that looks like it came out of the ark, lol.[/quote]

Could you recommend a youtube video or something so that I can hear what you mean?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='921544' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:03 PM']I watched the BioPic with Andy Serkis last night, and I've been listening to a lot of Blockheads music, from "New Boots and Panties" through to their recent album "Staring Down the Barrel". I"m really enjoying the bass lines. Sometimes before when I've said that I like certain bass lines, there's been the comment "sounds like a guitarist playing bass". I was curious to hear if anyone would say it here.

There's an unusual sound in "George, The Human Pigeon" that I'm wondering if it's bass or not. I don't know how to describe it, but think that anyone who listens to it will know what sounds I mean. [url="http://www.we7.com/#/song/The-Blockheads/George-The-Human-Pigeon"]http://www.we7.com/#/song/The-Blockheads/G...he-Human-Pigeon[/url] Oh yes, there it is in the intro, and it certainly sounds like bass. That's one thing I'm enjoying with his bass playing. Even in songs with quite simple root (down) 5th root 5th, there are interesting little bits and pieces in the songs.

What do you think of Derek the Draw taking over the Dury role? He's clearly functioning as Dury Mk. 2. in the band, but while such a thing is usually a travesty, particularly when it was a record company decision that DtD would do all the lead vocals, IMHO with The Blockheads it works.[/quote]

I think I'd struggle to come up with a bassist who sounds [i][b]LESS[/b][/i] like "a guitarist playing bass to" be honest!! :) :rolleyes:

Great player with great feel IMHO.

[quote name='lee4' post='921603' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:52 PM']Proof of NWR needing sainthood can be found in the bass line for Rhythm Stick.[/quote]
This is what makes him a great player. Does the magic when it is required, but can also take the back seat behind the back seats when the song requires it. A quality thinking bass player.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='921623' date='Aug 11 2010, 02:10 PM']Is that a backwards bass solo I've just heard on the album version of "Jack Sh*t George" from "Mr Love Pants"?[/quote]

Yeah it is, but more likely one of those weird effects that feeds the volume into the note.

Amazing bass player, easily my favourite. And yes, i agree with Lee4, he should have a sainthood. Excellent player and a joy to listen to and watch.

Dan

I met Norman a good few years ago whilst playing a gig in London with an old band of mine. At the time I wasnt too familier with his work but always respected and appreciated the talent of other musicians so we got chatting. Turns out that he was/is an utterly decent bloke! We ended up shooting the breeze for a good few hours and shared a bottle of wine.

After that meeting, I started to give The Blockheads some good listening time and have never looked back, they were a great and thoroughly underated British band.

So anyway, just echoing the sentiments from above, top guy and top musician in a great band.