Why become a member? ×

OLP or MusicMan Stingray? Tough choice!

mcnach

So there I was.
I hated Stingrays.
The body was too large (no P or J basses for me, I had a couple of Warwicks and other similar bodied instruments), it looked ugly (yeah, I know) and the real deal is priced ridiculously high for what it is.

Fast forward a bit, and see me becoming the bass player in a Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute band. The guitarist went on about "ah, you should really use a Stingray"... and one day I came across a second hand OLP MM2... and bought it to give it a whirl.

I really liked it.
I decided it was a nice bass, and proceeded to upgrade it: Seymour Duncan pickup and 3-band preamp.
The bass was transformed. Now not only played great, it also sounded killer.

It became my main bass. I was playing with other bands, and being substitute bassist for others etc... and this bass became the one I'd always grab. I'd leave it in its case, ready to go, and play the others at home... so when I had to go out it was all ready.

I liked it so much that I decided to buy another as a backup. I couldn't stand the idea of not having this bass for more than a few days, if I had to take it for maintenance/repair.
I bought a second OLP. My main one is a later one. This one was an early one. The body was rounder, the bridge was bigger and looked more the part... but it was awful. No, not awful. If I hadn't tried the other good OLP I'd have said "yep, it plays like a cheap bass". It wasn't at all like the other one. So I sold it.

A year or so later I found another early OLP. This one was black and it also had the maple fingerboard I favour... It was local, so I called the guy and went to try it. Really high action, played badly... but there was "something" there. The neck was nice and it felt like it could be quite good, cosmetically great condition. I took it home for £100. I had it set up, replaced the pickup again and it's a delicious bass to play. This one is still passive, I have a 2EQ board (clone of the original MusicMan one) that I need to build for it but I haven't had time yet. Still, it feels and sounds great.

So I have 2 OLPs that I love.
I get compliments regularly on the sound of my main one (the one I gig with).
I love to shut up the people who look down on my bass because it's not the "real deal" just by playing it... let it speak.

But... I'm human.
And I did want a MusicMan Stingray.
Some day.

I have tried a lot of them. I compared them to my souped up OLP. They didn't feel so different. I had no urge to buy one. But I *wanted* one. Just because. Nice basses, but with my OLP I didn't feel I really needed one.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I find a used MusicMan Stingray. It's in excellent condition.
It's the natural finish one. Tick.
Maple fingerboard. Tick.
Slight yellowish tint, not like the modern ones. Tick.
2-band EQ. Tick.
BEAUTIFUL.
Just beautiful.
The price seemed right, with the case etc.
So I bought it.

I love the Stingray.
I really do.

But when I compare it side by side with the two OLPs... I can't help thinking "I don't really need to spend the money on this bass, do I?"

I want to like it. No. I *do* like it. It is a GREAT bass, no doubt. I *love* it.
But... it's the OLP that I am in love with.
When I play the Stingray, it's great... but then I grab the OLP and... wow, it kicks some serious butt.

The MM Stingray looks best. It sounds great (the 2-band EQ is quite special)... but I can't help it: the OLP would be the bass I'd pick first if the building were on fire.

Annoying, isn't it?
I have a MusicMan and a Warwick which are great... but I end up playing the OLPs! :)

Edited by mcnach

Just give it a little more time for you to get used to it,Is it setup like your OLP? If not then measure it all and clone it over to the MM it might not be right for everyone but if thats how you like it then do it.Its a fairly simple beast and the difference in being setup well would make more difference than a SUB through to a pre EB and everything inbetween the only problem would be if it cant be setup right then it is a duff one but I think thats rare and even then it should be nothing a good bass tech is not able to sort. Also maybe your ears are just not used to a real Ray sound and maybe you dont really like it? There is no crime in that after all it would be boring if we all played Rays. :)

[quote name='stevie' post='918043' date='Aug 7 2010, 03:32 PM']Very interesting post, which goes to show the importance of trying an instrument before you buy it.[/quote]

I think maybe you misunderstood me: the Stingray *is* great. With the 2EQ system it's a different beast to the OLP with the SD 3EQ... Both are great and I'm keeping both...
It's just that one tends to think that the more expensive one should be the one you love best... but it's not the case.

However, BOTH are great basses.

I have tried a bunch of new Stingrays in shops... I already knew there wasn't much difference (if at all). That's why I never bought one. Until I came across a used one in the perfect colour and configuration and was sweet... so my hidden desire to won a "real" Stingray made me buy it. Because it was a good bass, for sure!
Just not better than my OLP, with the upgrades, in my opinion.

My two OLPs and the Stingray are great. The second OLP I owned (was an eBay thing) was very disappointing and sold it straight away.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='918089' date='Aug 7 2010, 04:19 PM']Just give it a little more time for you to get used to it,Is it setup like your OLP? If not then measure it all and clone it over to the MM it might not be right for everyone but if thats how you like it then do it.Its a fairly simple beast and the difference in being setup well would make more difference than a SUB through to a pre EB and everything inbetween the only problem would be if it cant be setup right then it is a duff one but I think thats rare and even then it should be nothing a good bass tech is not able to sort. Also maybe your ears are just not used to a real Ray sound and maybe you dont really like it? There is no crime in that after all it would be boring if we all played Rays. :rolleyes:[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with the Stingray! :)
The set up is virtually identical. The neck feels the same. It's as close as a clone can be.
The OLP is to all effects a Stingray too, it feels and sounds like one. Like a 3EQ one!

I love the Stingray. But the OLP is not "the poor sister of the MusicMan". It's a great bass on its own. Although I have tried Stingrays before (and I knew they weren't miles away from my OLPs) it wasn't until now that I had both a good OLP and a Stingray in the house to compare side by side. This made the similarities clearer to me, that's all.

I have the board for the original 2EQ Stingray preamp. I intend to build it and install it in my other OLP. It'll be interesting then to compare the 2EQ OLP with the 2EQ Stingray... I suspect it's going to be very very very close. Although the OLP has a Basslines SMB-4A pickup and the Stingray has the original pickup, so that will contribute to the differences.

When I get around to that i should post some clips.

It just backs up what I've said many times, you don't [i]have[/i] to spend a fortune to have a great bass. There are loads of "budget" basses out there that knock spots off their more expensive counterparts.

I had an old Japanese Squier Precision until recently, that was head and shoulders above any other Precision I'd ever played. I sold it for peanuts too, and I wish I hadn't had to, it was worth double the price.

I've had an OLP Tony Levin, and I've had MM Stingrays. My experience was the they were two very different beasts, even though they looked similar from a distance, and the build quality of the MM, in my case, was head and shoulders above that of the OLP, but both certainly had their place, and both were worthy of a place in anyone's gig bag.

I generally use the G&Ls most of the time, but I'm more than happy to wheel out my Fleabass for gigs too, it looks great, it plays great and it sounds great, although admitedly it is modded. It's a budget bass, although it is overpriced, and I love it.

Yes I know what you mean. I have a dodgy 8 year old Squire Jazz made in Indonesia which plays great and sounds better than the real thing. I have a Japanese Fender Jazz which is beautifully put together from top grade parts with a baddass bridge and US vintage pickups but I still end up playing the dodgy old Squire I bought 4th hand for £95.

For some reason though I still hanker for a US Jazz Bass which would cost 9 times as much and probably won't sound or play as good...........duh?

Yeah, my problem is, I'm a sucker for labels, so it has to say MIA on it somewhere or I'm not happy. That alone is ridiculous, as I've played some American dogs in my time, and I love Japanese instruments. Every Ibanez or Yamaha I've ever played, be it budget or expensive have been utterly brilliant.

I'll bet you'd feel more at home with your Squier than a new US made Jazz.

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='918554' date='Aug 8 2010, 09:34 AM']Is that the OLP in your avatar, or is it the Ray?[/quote]

That's the OLP.

This is a picture right after the upgrade. The Duncan STC-3T3 preamp comes with black knobs, like in the picture. But I have since replaced them with chrome ones. This bass also has a Hipshot D-tuner installed.

You've made the choice then.

OLP for you.

Everyone is different. Personally although I tried a lot of different rays, I went with a SUB as it was even half the price of sec d hand ray and to me sounded exactly the same.... So it was an easy choice, I want to get a good Pre-EB or one of those oldish ones made from old stock with a maple board, but I'd always be afraid of destroying it, and I have more gas for cheaper options to mod anyway.

To me, as long as the wood is fine; strong, resonant, light, balanced, and the neck had good fret work it's a good bass. Electronics and hardware can be changed to make it a great bass.

[quote name='Les' post='919290' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:13 AM']What do the 3 knobs do on the passive OLP ? volume, tone and ?[/quote]

Separate volume controls for each of the coils, and one tone.

Yes, there is some difference between the sound of the two coils, despite being so close together. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. But then, of course, it serves you to get single coil sounds, and you can choose a slightly different voicing... However I did not care for that sound either.
The OLP I still have passive (not for long) I cut the wires to one volume control, and rewired the other so that it's just a volume for the humbucker, with coils wired in parallel.

[quote name='whimsy23' post='922190' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:08 AM']I love my OLP too, it plays perfectly for me, though it is also still passive... I have been wanting another one for ages, to upgrade to active pick ups/eq. Been putting it off for ages but now I've read this, I think I'll look into it again :)[/quote]

No, stay away! I'm looking for another OLP, to turn it fretless. I don't want competition! I take back everything I said! OLP basses are crap! :rolleyes:

[quote name='mcnach' post='918010' date='Aug 7 2010, 02:44 PM']But when I compare it side by side with the two OLPs... I can't help thinking "I don't really need to spend the money on this bass, do I?"[/quote]

No you don't need to spend the money on it, it seems you, your band, and the crowd are happy with your OLP

But.. I dont need my Ric, however, if you buy the right MM (or fender or Ric) then you are not wasting money, merely turning cash into an asset you could re sell to regain your costs

Obviously depending on price and how you treat it, markets etc, you may lose a little, but its not wasted money if you can afford to invest in a decent bass and take a little risk on the investment

I am not advising you to buy anything though:)

BTW, chills tribute, sounds great for a bass player!

I've mentioned this before, but my go-to bass these days (in my avatar pic) is a modded Chinese SX with a MM neck and Schaller bridge. Fantastic bass, stands me at about £200. My other kit (inc my MM Ray) stay on their stands. If I hadn't tried it, I would have laughed you out of the room for suggesting this situation a while ago. It's done wonders for my GAS. :)

Do you think the OLP pickguard is a bit egg shaped compared to a real Ray, maybe a bit more of a sterling shape? Have you ever tried swapping them over,I know it sounds strange but whenever I see an OLP they look different?

I love my Rays but money does not always make for the best bass for you,Showy custom basses cost more than my Rays but I dont really like them, I like looking at some of them but I cant ever imagine owning one. Some people are not happy unless it costs a lot. My squier Jazz is awesome and cost me about £400,But some people wont beleive how good it can be no matter what you tell them.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='922954' date='Aug 12 2010, 05:29 PM']Do you think the OLP pickguard is a bit egg shaped compared to a real Ray, maybe a bit more of a sterling shape? Have you ever tried swapping them over,I know it sounds strange but whenever I see an OLP they look different?[/quote]

Well spotted.

Yes, the pickguards are a bit different. The OLP one is a bit more "bottom heavy".

Here's a picture of the Stingray (black) and the OLP (white). You can see the shape differs. It's not a lot, but it's noticeable. Aligning both by the pickup route it's clearer where the shape is different.