Why become a member? ×

Alright Now Free

tiffen

Hi All,
I have only now noticed that during the bass solo of Alright Now by Free there is a run up half way through the solo. I have bought the Tab book music for this and its not been transcribed. I have been trying to make out whats going on but cant quite get it. Does anyone no what notes are playing to create the small run up?

[quote name='tiffen' post='914282' date='Aug 3 2010, 09:05 PM']Hi All,
I have only now noticed that during the bass solo of Alright Now by Free there is a run up half way through the solo. I have bought the Tab book music for this and its not been transcribed. I have been trying to make out whats going on but cant quite get it. Does anyone no what notes are playing to create the small run up?[/quote]

Which bit do you mean? Pick some numbers from this, and it'll give us a clue.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2V60yLIaw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2V60yLIaw[/url]

Hi Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately its not so prominent in the version you posted have a listen to the one I posted the link for at 2mins 42s.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7vW6dgnUY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7vW6dgnUY...feature=related[/url]

Edited by tiffen

[quote name='bottlebassman' post='917227' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:52 PM']Couldn't agree more with the above! I have heard lots of versions of Alright now, the bass line is often varied.[/quote]
Very true. Even if you look at the clips of Andy Fraser miming he doesn't mime what the record is playing :)

[quote name='tiffen' post='914282' date='Aug 3 2010, 09:05 PM']Hi All,
I have only now noticed that during the bass solo of Alright Now by Free there is a run up half way through the solo. I have bought the Tab book music for this and its not been transcribed. I have been trying to make out whats going on but cant quite get it. Does anyone no what notes are playing to create the small run up?[/quote]

A fabulous song that always goes down well.

I have seen some bass players in bands absolutely destroy this classic by playing their bass over the guitar riffs in the verses, really naff.

The bass only comes in on the chorus and during the guitar solo, it gives you time to have a sip of drink during the verses.

[quote name='steantval' post='917775' date='Aug 7 2010, 10:20 AM']A fabulous song that always goes down well.

I have seen some bass players in bands absolutely destroy this classic by playing their bass over the guitar riffs in the verses, really naff.

The bass only comes in on the chorus and during the guitar solo, it gives you time to have a sip of drink during the verses.[/quote]

Idiots! Surely as a bass player the bonus of playing Alright Now is to have a break whilst not having an official break. As you say, have a quick drink and maybe rest those fingers. :)

Depends on your guitarist, if they don't have a particularly big or dirty sound a bit extra on the riff can actually rescue an otherwise 'thin' sounding version, played it loads of times in jams with various people and once or twice I've noticed a look of panic come over thme when I leave them to play it solo. It's just a question of not over egging it. I usually double up with an A an octave up so it's not too low a register, fits fine. Can also help a novice drummer keep the rhythm too.

[quote name='Marvin' post='917780' date='Aug 7 2010, 10:23 AM']Idiots! Surely as a bass player the bonus of playing Alright Now is to have a break whilst not having an official break. As you say, have a quick drink and maybe rest those fingers. :)[/quote]

unscheduled toilet break too :rolleyes:

[quote name='KevB' post='917866' date='Aug 7 2010, 11:50 AM']Depends on your guitarist, if they don't have a particularly big or dirty sound a bit extra on the riff can actually rescue an otherwise 'thin' sounding version, played it loads of times in jams with various people and once or twice I've noticed a look of panic come over thme when I leave them to play it solo. It's just a question of not over egging it. I usually double up with an A an octave up so it's not too low a register, fits fine. Can also help a novice drummer keep the rhythm too.[/quote]

Sacrilege Sir,

If the guitarist cannot manage to get a "big or dirty" sound and has nothing but a "thin and weedy" sound, I personally would not attempt to play the song.

The guitar riff is fairly simple, made up of an A chord with an inverted D chord plus getting the right feel.

[quote name='Johnston' post='917449' date='Aug 6 2010, 09:33 PM']This is going to sound daft but anyone know where I can find a the version with a cow bell on it.

we done this a s a cover and the version we learnt had a cow bell and I obviously learnt the bass to it, but none I have gotten since getting back into playing have the same line and no cow bell.

The reason I remember it having a cow bell was because the drummer got all excited because he actually got allowed to use his in a song :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Are you sure that's not [i]Honky Tonk Women[/i] you're thinking of? :lol:

[quote name='nig' post='916841' date='Aug 6 2010, 11:33 AM']And on another day it would have been played different, feel the music. put your stamp on it. x[/quote]

Agreed!!! Personally, I can't stand the song - Free did many superior songs, but Alright Now has to be played 'cos it's the only one people know - apart from Wishing bloody Well!!!! :)

[quote name='steantval' post='918022' date='Aug 7 2010, 03:02 PM']Sacrilege Sir,

If the guitarist cannot manage to get a "big or dirty" sound and has nothing but a "thin and weedy" sound, I personally would not attempt to play the song.

The guitar riff is fairly simple, made up of an A chord with an inverted D chord plus getting the right feel.[/quote]

I entirely agree with you.

And I feel it is our duty, if you see a bass player playing through the verse of Alright Now, to go up to him or her and a) give them a stern glare, b ) if this fails a word in the ear and c) if all else fails a slap around the chops. :) :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin

has anyone heard there version by lea roberts? i heard marc lamar play it a couple months ago. tis awesome. got bass in the verse but it changes the feel of the song completely.

[url="http://www.wat.tv/video/lea-roberts-all-right-now-2e58r_2iwkx_.html"]http://www.wat.tv/video/lea-roberts-all-ri...58r_2iwkx_.html[/url]

[quote name='KevB' post='917866' date='Aug 7 2010, 10:50 AM']Depends on your guitarist, if they don't have a particularly big or dirty sound a bit extra on the riff can actually rescue an otherwise 'thin' sounding version, played it loads of times in jams with various people and once or twice I've noticed a look of panic come over thme when I leave them to play it solo. It's just a question of not over egging it. I usually double up with an A an octave up so it's not too low a register, fits fine. Can also help a novice drummer keep the rhythm too.[/quote]

Just in on this. Totally agree. This is probably the most badly-ever played song by guitar players.

[quote name='KevB' post='917866' date='Aug 7 2010, 11:50 AM']Depends on your guitarist, if they don't have a particularly big or dirty sound a bit extra on the riff can actually rescue an otherwise 'thin' sounding version, played it loads of times in jams with various people and once or twice I've noticed a look of panic come over thme when I leave them to play it solo. It's just a question of not over egging it. I usually double up with an A an octave up so it's not too low a register, fits fine. Can also help a novice drummer keep the rhythm too.[/quote]
NNNOOOO!!!! please nooooo!!!
Think of the children!!!

:)

[quote name='witterth' post='918994' date='Aug 8 2010, 07:59 PM']NNNOOOO!!!! please nooooo!!!
Think of the children!!!

:)[/quote]
:rolleyes: Good point.

But on a serious point, if a guitarist can't play it properly, then they should leave well alone.
Unless of course, as per the Lea Roberts example, the band are giving a completely different take, then it's a whole different thing.