Why become a member? ×

My brother drove over my brand new L2000. Help!!!

mashup

After reading through all the posts, my sympathy is with you, although I think it could have been a whole lot worse (snapped in half, totally crushed etc)

There is some excellent expert advice for you and if it does have to go in for luthier repair and you have gigs coming up then I would in the short term do one of three things,

1, borrow a bass to use as has been offered, 2, rent a bass, or 3, buy another cheepish decent bass that you could easily sell on after your main bass is repaired. Obviously basses that are desirable second hand would mean you'll recoup most of your money back.

Off the top of my head, Squier affinity precision or jazz, Yamaha BB414 or Ibanez GSR200 would be good and a second hand one would be even better, there are many decent basses on this forum for £100 or under.
Good luck. NJ

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='911706' date='Aug 1 2010, 10:02 AM']After reading through all the posts, my sympathy is with you, although I think it could have been a whole lot worse (snapped in half, totally crushed etc)

There is some excellent expert advice for you and if it does have to go in for luthier repair and you have gigs coming up then I would in the short term do one of three things,

1, borrow a bass to use as has been offered, 2, rent a bass, or 3, buy another cheepish decent bass that you could easily sell on after your main bass is repaired. Obviously basses that are desirable second hand would mean you'll recoup most of your money back.

Off the top of my head, Squier affinity precision or jazz, Yamaha BB414 or Ibanez GSR200 would be good and a second hand one would be even better, there are many decent basses on this forum for £100 or under.
Good luck. NJ[/quote]

Yeah, i know, some excellent advice, support & very kind & generous offers of help on this forum. Just posting here, and getting the feedback, has cheered me up. Thanks

Funnilly enough. I had planned, in the week, to get a Squier VMJ fretless today, as a 2nd bass, and a 1st to learn fretless on. I know that this would not be a good replacement gigging bass, but i could practice the set with it in the meantime & keep my fingers crossed for my L2000 to be fixed & back with me before the gig, or if push comes to shove, borrow a fretted bass off of some kind soul.

[quote name='molan' post='911664' date='Aug 1 2010, 08:56 AM']Is this the same Brinsley who used to play with Graham Parker?

Really nice guitarist if so![/quote]

Yup, one of the pub-rock greats, thats why I did the double take when I read the original quotes.

[quote name='mashup' post='911709' date='Aug 1 2010, 10:08 AM']Yeah, i know, some excellent advice, support & very kind & generous offers of help on this forum. Just posting here, and getting the feedback, has cheered me up. Thanks

Funnilly enough. I had planned, in the week, to get a Squier VMJ fretless today, as a 2nd bass, and a 1st to learn fretless on. I know that this would not be a good replacement gigging bass, but i could practice the set with it in the meantime & keep my fingers crossed for my L2000 to be fixed & back with me before the gig, or if push comes to shove, borrow a fretted bass off of some kind soul.[/quote]

Yeah, keep your chin up, this is sorta one big family, there is something about bass that so good (even songs that are cr*p are enjoyable if they have a good bass groove)....... in a crisis we are all with you. Best of luck with the L2000 and by the way if you buy a VMJ fretless you'll not regret it! NJ

Edited by Cygnus x-1

[quote name='mashup' post='911699' date='Aug 1 2010, 09:52 AM']You dont even know me, yet you offer to lend me a bass for the gig. Unparalled kindness that proves that there really are some very nice people out there, with good Karma coming their way. I am trying to borrow a bass off of my drummers brother, so hopefully, i should be alright on that front, but i will take you up on your ionsanely kind offer, should i really have no other option.[/quote]

There's plenty of people here who will lend a hand to a bass 'brother' in need, lol.

I think there's a few people nearer to you who might be able to help but the offer absolutely stands if you want the Nash - it already looks like it's been through a few wars so less obviously prone to wear & tear marks :)

Zap me a Pm if you want to pop over

I'm really sorry to hear about that Mat, I hope it's nothing serious.

From what I remember none of the frets had very little visible wear on them (just gone a bit shiny where the strings had been fretted) so if they had been compressed into the neck I'd imagine you would see marks from the string windings.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='911668' date='Aug 1 2010, 09:02 AM']If the strings are roundwound with hex cores, then it's likely that the force has not only distorted the outer windings but crimped or kinked the core too. That would definitely prevent the strings from ringing true.[/quote]

For reference the strings that were on the bass when I sold it were 50-110 Status Graphite hex-core roundwounds.

SHE IS ALIVE!!!!!!

She is 100%, fully fit & back with me. Playing perfectly, with no problems at all. I would like to thank everyone for all of their support & advice, especialy Molan, who made such a generous & kind offer to me. It wont be forgotton. You are a good man

I have been very very lucky indeed......

.....well, apart from just fracturing my left thumb at football, and i have a gig tomorrow! (What's wrong with me? Am i cursed?) Ice pack is on as we speak! I hope i get through it alright. I will upload video of it, if all goes well.

Have any of you played with a broken thumb before? (The one behind the neck?) I think i'll dose myself up with cocodomol beforehand, although i have to drive there, and knowing my luck at the moment, it might not be such a good idea. Just got to get through an hours set.

Edited by mashup

Get some serious strapping on that thumb!

If you can get your style to work with it then try to play a lot more gently with your right hand & your left ought to feel less 'stressed'. This will mean you don't have to grip with your left thumb quite as hard :)

Maybe just jack the volume up a bit on the amp to start with & this might make you back off a little.

It could make a difference in your 'feel' for the bass but better than knackering your poor old thumb, lol.

[quote name='molan' post='915406' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:47 PM']Get some serious strapping on that thumb!

If you can get your style to work with it then try to play a lot more gently with your right hand & your left ought to feel less 'stressed'. This will mean you don't have to grip with your left thumb quite as hard :)

Maybe just jack the volume up a bit on the amp to start with & this might make you back off a little.

It could make a difference in your 'feel' for the bass but better than knackering your poor old thumb, lol.[/quote]

That is some great advice that i will definately be taking. Thanks once again friend.

By the way. I forgot to tell you what the fix was in the end - A set of new strings and a set up! As suggested by a few members previously, the strings had a few kinks in them, and the pressure of the car had forced the intonation out. £44 & Happy days, well, apart from the thumb!

My bass is now officially rockn' roll now that it's been run over!

Cheers,

Mat

[quote name='mashup' post='915453' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:39 PM']That is some great advice that i will definately be taking. Thanks once again friend.

By the way. I forgot to tell you what the fix was in the end - A set of new strings and a set up! As suggested by a few members previously, the strings had a few kinks in them, and the pressure of the car had forced the intonation out. £44 & Happy days, well, apart from the thumb!

My bass is now officially rockn' roll now that it's been run over!

Cheers,

Mat[/quote]
Good news about the bass, and good luck with the gig. Let us know how it goes.
I bet your bruv is relieved too, I think he owes you a beer or two! (I'd wait until after you've played though, you'll need your wits about you...)

Awesome work on the bass - but ouch on the thumb!

I regularly used to play rugby with broken fingers and thumbs, but thankfully never needed the finesse.

I'm guessing the fracture is reasonably central - if so, strapping! Give yourself some support, but then you'll need to think about managing the swelling.

The one thing to watch will be the swelling of the tissue around the injury. Avoid aspirin-based painkillers as they'll contribute to the swelling. Swelling + strapping = no movement; no use. Try something like Tylenol, which was an old favourite - painkilling and swell reducing!

I'd probably say no to ice. It's effectively immediately but you'll need to apply just before going on stage and a frozen thumb is little more use. Use a hot compress in the hour before, and keep your thumb above your head.

There's a whole load of other sprays, etc, you might try - stuff like Arnica, etc - but I'm sure you'll cope :)

I've broken both thumbs twice; all fingers bar one; and all my toes. Getting used to this now :rolleyes: