Why become a member? ×

Funk

Pete Academy

I heard through the grapevine that Bootsy's Funk University is not as good as expected. To be honest, this doesn't surprise me, as I think you can show people how to play a funk groove, but to actually make it sound funky is all about the individual and what their musical upbringing is. In other words, you are what you listen to.

I can't play metal to save my life. Nor reggae, punk, etc.

I honestly don't think think you can 'teach' someone to play funk, unless they have been into it for many years.

I know this is similar to a previous 'can you learn to groove' thread. but I think the Funk Uni might be a flop.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it can be taught, as with anything though, it depends on how much the player wants to learn it. Of course some people just won't 'get it' and won't have the right 'feel'. I don't think it will be a flop though because it will be full of all the bedroom players that i've described above that will be the players that think you need bootys to teach you how to do it. :)

I don't think it should be taught as a sole subject.

I think you can teach it to a point. It's easy to teach the notes and the rhythms,the problem comes with the interpretation.
If you've never at least listened to a style it is unlikely that you will be able to cop the feel,at least initially. It's the same with
any style.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='910526' date='Jul 30 2010, 06:48 PM']Space is important. I hear kids play at warp speed and am tempted to say: 'Try that at half speed.'

I think that's where Marcus excels - he can groove at a slow(er) tempo.

Playing a slow funk groove is difficult.[/quote]i agree with this totally Pete..nothing worse than funk too fast!! that and a bassist with a Burberry cap on.. :)

Take Me'Shell. Listen to her play a funk groove. You can pick out the notes, but how can you teach someone to play like that?

Another prime example is The Meter's 'Cissy Strut'. Try to play it with the same laid-back groove.

The Commodores 'Brick House'.

And 'Sex Machine'? Forget it! :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='910525' date='Jul 30 2010, 06:48 PM']I think you can teach it to a point. It's easy to teach the notes and the rhythms,the problem comes with the interpretation.
If you've never at least listened to a style it is unlikely that you will be able to cop the feel,at least initially. It's the same with
any style.[/quote]This is true Doddy...i was rubbish at Reggae playing...dont listen to it and it doesnt inspire me...still like it though..

oh why does he always post this bloody Maceo vid!!!!...because its frickin funky thats why!!...check the bass....awsome fills here and there..nothing too flashy..just right....super cool..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLwmYI09Lw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLwmYI09Lw[/url]

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='910566' date='Jul 30 2010, 07:31 PM']I'm in the 'funk can't be taught' side of things. But I'd like to hear something to the contrary.[/quote]

I think you answered part of your own question earlier about telling kids to play at half the speed - I don't think you can teach Funk in the conventional sense like music theory but you can get people to understand and feel music like Funk, Blues, Jazz etc. I now play with a drummer in an old school rock & roll band, and it is so refreshing to play with an old boy who doesn't have to play everything at 180 bpm or 120 decibels to make a song move. I think transferring these skills by inspiring others is just as valid as sitting in a classroom being taught something in the traditional way.

Sorry, I'm rambling now :)

In our shop I get loads of kids trying out electronic kits and basses. Almost all of them play fast, especially the drummers. If you've tried to play a groove slower, you'll find it more difficult.

Many of the 70s funk grooves were quite slow. Try playing Cameo's 'Funk Funk'. It's hard to play, but at the same time a great lesson. Also 'Fire' by the Ohio Players.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='910615' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:09 PM']In our shop I get loads of kids trying out electronic kits and basses. Almost all of them play fast, especially the drummers. If you've tried to play a groove slower, you'll find it more difficult.[/quote]

Why is it whenever you look on youtube at a trade show or bass gathering ever one is a slap monster.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='910514' date='Jul 30 2010, 06:32 PM']Funk can't be taught. It's a calling. :)[/quote]

It's in the fingers from birth baby, if you ain't got it, you ain't got it, period :rolleyes:

No way! Nothing that is a 'feel' like funk can be taught, that's why it's called a 'feel'. It's natural, you either have it or you don't. And there is nothing worse than someone trying to be funky and just not getting it. You can get better at it though. If you listen to D'Angelo's rhythm section in this clip [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygCeBoYD9ps"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygCeBoYD9ps[/url] for example, ?uestlove and Pino just have got it, they sit on it and just groove hard. What's obvious is that it's just in them to play like that, it's not forced whatsoever. It becomes very obvious a lot of the time when I've seen some bands play that they just don't have that feel in them.

[quote]Why is it whenever you look on youtube at a trade show or bass gathering ever one is a slap monster.[/quote]

It's boring to me, really dull and uninteresting to watch. To me slap bass has become synonymous with over playing, and not funk. I watch these solo guys play and it's hard not to think that you sound like a hundred other different players. I still appreciate people like Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten because they're very musical, but in reality I'd much prefer to sit back and listen to Pino Palladino, Braylon Lacy, Raphael Saadiq, or Paul Jackson play with their respective artists.

Listen to this 1:50 in and check out Braylon Lacy's bass section with Erykah Badu. You can't teach feel like that. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AZaZZXg2s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3AZaZZXg2s[/url]

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='910629' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:21 PM']True.[/quote]i had this in Guitar Guitar..i wanted to try a Sadowsky...the guy got it down and started showing me his chops..the inevitable slap fest was awaiting me...i just wanted to say give me the f***in bass...

whenever i see this its rarely musical, or improv.....just a line hes been saving up.. :)

I still think you can teach "feel". Anyone seen Gareth Malone in his various BBC programmes teaching a bunch of no hopers to sing Opera? To me there's as much "feel" in that as there is in Funk. Sure, it's not all in the dots, but I think it is all about inspiring and coaching. It's not that some people were born with it and some not.

Of course you can teach someone to play funky, it's not a secret or magic. As with other genres, if you've already spent years enjoying listening to that style of music, chances are you'll have an easier time picking it up.