Why become a member? ×

Time for a change... John Deacon.

garethox

[quote name='witterth' post='909080' date='Jul 29 2010, 12:00 PM']Oh dear, ....wake up Mr S !! :)
oh, but..
I suppose you mean nowadays though, dont you?
I think its some american session guy (name? I don't know) who fills John's shoes when they do gigs now.
Paul Rodgers?
(I think Fred would have approved BTW)[/quote]

Pino Palladino for a time. Not sure who it is now.

[quote name='witterth' post='909106' date='Jul 29 2010, 12:16 PM']Pino?? no way!!??
we all know hes' doing The Who, but Queen as well? eh?
really? never knew that.[/quote]

Yes, briefly. Quick bit of research and it turns out Danny Miranda (Blue Oyster Cult) played on the Queen + Paul Rogers tour.

[quote name='mep' post='909207' date='Jul 29 2010, 01:25 PM']He's up there with the best of them.

I've not heard what he got up to since finishing with Queen and retiring. He hasn't done interviews. Can anyone shed some light on his post Queen life?[/quote]

His neice works in my office. John is enjoying retired life, living in London. Has other hobbies, does a bit of writing. Doesnt do interviews, probably quite rightly as he fears the same old questions about Q and PR.

Neil

been playing in a queen tribute band for about 8 years now.
great understated bass lines that make you think about what your playing.
'don't stop me now' is really quite complicated but never takes over the song
the thing with JD is that he did'nt like rock music; he was into soul and disco so it made for interesting
'cross currents' in their songs imo
also don't think he worries about the money; he was the financial wizard in the band
even after 8 years i still enjoy playing his work :)

[quote name='lowdown' post='908771' date='Jul 28 2010, 11:42 PM']I liked his playing....But if he carried on up the scale on that track,
he would have wrote THE most recognisable bassline ever.
'Goodtimes'
:)

Good stuff though.

Garry[/quote]

As I understand it, Mr Deacon was in the studio when Chic were recording said track. It inspired him to write AOBTD - to which he then recorded the track, playing bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, piano and well - I guess some sort of percussion. Later the hand claps and drums were added as a loop. Though I think there are many varying versions of this story!

p.s. John is god :rolleyes:

[quote name='mep' post='909207' date='Jul 29 2010, 01:25 PM']He's up there with the best of them.

I've not heard what he got up to since finishing with Queen and retiring. He hasn't done interviews. Can anyone shed some light on his post Queen life?[/quote]

He lives in a south westerly part of the UK and "has left the music business altogether". - I reckon he might have a few pennies to his name to enjoy in retirement too!!

[quote name='dood' post='909801' date='Jul 30 2010, 12:15 AM']He lives in a south westerly part of the UK and "has left the music business altogether". - I reckon he might have a few pennies to his name to enjoy in retirement too!![/quote]
Wish I was him!!
KWIM?
rich,retired,was in Queen.... etc.... life can't be that tough for JD :)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='908966' date='Jul 29 2010, 10:07 AM']This just shows how good he was...not perfect but it breathes and swings

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-MFjV8_Yw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-MFjV8_Yw...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Love that bassline but the drums really get on my tits! Deacon is definitely a bass god. Not showy, not flash but melodically and harmonically spot on. The fact that you don't notice how good his playing is only makes me respect the guy even more. He never sets out to prove a point he just does what's required for the track. That's the mark of a truly great bassist imho.

John Deacon is the guy who effectively got me into bass playing, so a lot of love for him from me!

The thing that I have always admired about his basslines is that on the one hand they are simple, yet on the other hand there are little runs and fills every now and again that never clutter and overpower the song, but add a lot of depth and interest to the bass line. Even now, I'm thinking through the bassline to Radio Ga Ga in my head: it could so easily be played very straight and plain, yet John Deacon adds enough variety into it that it makes it great to listen to and also great to play.

From a song-writing perspective, sure he's written some of Queen's biggest hits - Another One Bites the Dust and I Want To Break Free. Personally, I prefer some of the stuff written by the other members.

As for being a "nob", the impression I get having read a few Queen biographies, I'd almost say he's the furthest from "nob" that a bass player can get. He was a family man right from the start, which is what drove his decision to retire from the music industry after Freddie Mercury died. He'd made his money, had 6 kids (I think) to raise, and gracefully retired from the business. I remember looking through the Times Rich List during the early '90s, and John always seemed to come ahead of Roger and Brian - clearly sensible then in how he invested his money!

John Deacon for me feels like a bit of a guilty pleasure - but that's probably more due to his association with Queen. If he had played for a band that had less of a polarising effect than Queen, then I'm sure that more people would rate him as a bass player.

Mark

And now someone i can talk about positively.

JD was the person that made me want to play the bass when I was 11. All other songs I'd heard up until that time had been done by bands but with Queen, It was the first time I'd listened to the individual musicians.

I totally agree that you can't have Queen without Freddy, just like you can't have Queen without JD, Roger or Brian. I remember when they did the Tribute concert that almost every single key had to be changed cos no one could sing the original unless they got a female vocalist in.

JD started off with a Rick - It may have been a 1999 before moving onto the familiar Ps with the occasional Stingray, Buzzard, Single Coil P Bass and Telecaster Guitar during the Hot Space Tour.

When they were recording A Night At the Opera, either Brian or JD thought that '39 would sound good with a double bass so John went out and bought/hired one and learned to play it just for that part.

Some fantastic playing on album tracks such as Dragon Attack and Millionnaires Waltz amongst others.

I was a huge Queen fan and can still remember all their middle names and of course, Freddy's real name. Ii was a complete Queen anorak.

I first heard Queen at Live Aid and totally got into them when I saw the Live At Wembley 1986 gig.

Queen were a phenomenal band and Paul Rodgers is a phenomenal singer but they do not go together at all.

Brian got on my goat when he remixed all the Queen albums and turned his guitar up on every track, sometimes over Freddy's vocals.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='wombatboter' post='908966' date='Jul 29 2010, 10:07 AM']This just shows how good he was...not perfect but it breathes and swings

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-MFjV8_Yw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-MFjV8_Yw...feature=related[/url][/quote]

Beat me to it. I'm not a big Queen fan but it's a fantastic bass part isn't it

I like JD's bass lines but im not a huge fan of Queen. I can listen to them but never really do these days.

So, not knowing too much Queen history i'd like to ask how much of JD's baselines were his own? By that i mean how much influence did the other members have over what he did?
Im just wondering if maybe his simple, but of course very effective bass lines were a result of Brian and Freddie wanting him more in the back ground.

Just asking and no disrespect to JD at all.