Why become a member? ×

Tokai basses

Geoff

Just wondering if anyone here had used them before. Im looking around for someone, but ive heard reviews saying that the stock tuners and bridge arent good at all, however the body work is generally very good.

Does anyone play any Tokai stuff and think they're good/bad?

I had a Tokai Jazz, it was really nice, used it in SF for a bit, it was a japanese one, think some of the new ones are chinese.

Oh and I will reply to your text, or pm you, I'm just lazy.

I have 2 Tokais,an older Japanese P bass,and a brand spanking new Korean made T bird. Build quality is superb on both,the P bass is my main instrument in preference to my Fender P (because it's lighter and I have a back problem ) although the lighter wood ( no idea what it is ) doesn't have quite the same depth as the Alder of my Fenders. No problems with the bridge on either,I have changed the pickups on the P bass to passive EMG's,not because there was anything wrong with the originals,just because the EMG's look cool. I did have problems with one of the tuners on the P bass,but it settled down after a while.I believe the original Japanese Tokais were supposed to be the Fender Squier range but it didn't happen for legal reasons.

Edited by Spike Vincent

There's Tokais & there's Tokais.

Broadly speaking, Japanese-made ones (both vintage & current) are excellent quality, sought-after & expensive, Korean/elsewhere made ones are more generic decent instruments with a Tokai badge and a less alarming price tag.

Then there are ones like this:

And it's very, very good. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='907390' date='Jul 27 2010, 05:53 PM']There's Tokais & there's Tokais.

Broadly speaking, Japanese-made ones (both vintage & current) are excellent quality, sought-after & expensive, Korean/elsewhere made ones are more generic decent instruments with a Tokai badge and a less alarming price tag.

Then there are ones like this:

And it's very, very good. :rolleyes:

Jon.[/quote]
that bridge looks kick ass :)

Mine is an old Japanese Jazz Sound from the early eighties. It`s as good as any Fender, and certainly much better than my old Mex Jazz. In fact Fender took them to court over the issue! I`ve improved(?) mine with a more solid Wilkinson bridge and nice warm sounding Bartolini p.u.`s. It`s fretless, and I`ve never played a nicer feeling instrument. O.k., it`s heavy because it`s solid and beautifully built, but I wouldn`t be without it!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='907390' date='Jul 27 2010, 05:53 PM'][/quote]

I had a mate with one of these. I used it on a few sessions I did for him, sounded great but not to my tastes looks wise. He bought it for £80 considerably under the going rate & when he came to sell it on he couldn't get rid of it! Crazy

Used to be able to get a decent one, but I don't know so much now.

Our gtr has one from years and years ago and he has kept it and it keeps its place in his more revered stable of gtrs now.

But if buying today, I'd go over it with a fine tooth-comb as I would a modern day Fender, Lakland, Musicman and other mass produced basses/gtrs.
I accept you may have to consider relative price etc etc .