Why become a member? ×

Pedaltrain + power

thisnameistaken

I've just got a Pedaltrain, and I'd like to use the underside for power but there isn't quite enough (vertical) room for a 4-gang full of wall-wart PSUs underneath it - it's not quite tall enough.

Has anyone ever rigged one up like that before? On my old board I had the PSUs on top but I would like to stow them underneath this time if I can.

A lot of people mod their pedaltrains (and other pedalboards) to take power supplies that wouldn't fit otherwise. AFAIK it's a very simple process, which just involves cutting out a small part of some of the metal so that the power supply can be slotted in the gap, using a dremel tool. You will be able to do this yourself, with the appropriate equipment, or if you don't fancy that then there are people who will do it for you, but you'd have to look into the cost. Also, the only people that I know of that will do such mods are not to be found in the UK, they are mostly in the US.

Oops didn't read your OP closely enough, my bad.

No then in that case, it'll have to stay off-board or you'll have to pick up a smaller dedicated power supply unit like a T-Rex Fuel Tank or similar.

Maybe you could side mount them in some way? So that they are attatched to the board for convenience but without going to the effort/expense of getting a new power supply solution.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='906142' date='Jul 26 2010, 06:13 PM']I velcroed my gator gbus8 under my pedaltrain. Nice n light and worked a treat....and, ahem it's for sale in the fx section ;-)[/quote]

My Gator G-BUS-8 is also for sale in the FX section!

Problem is it seems one PSU is never enough - there's always some arsehole pedal that needs 50mA more than the outlets will supply, or 24v or whatever. That's why I'm looking to mount a 4-way rather than a single modular PSU.

Another option would be to cable-tie a 4-way flat to the back plate of the Pedaltrain, it would fit there and still fit in the case with all the power supplies plugged in. I'm just not sure whether it's a good idea to stick a 4-way at the front of the stage pointing at the audience, I can't help thinking it would be too tempting for some drunken cretin.

[quote name='Finbar' post='906150' date='Jul 26 2010, 06:18 PM']There's a 4 way mounted under my pedaltrain. I'll try and get a photo for you, but it is velcro'd and cable tied in, with the plug sockets facing the floor. It isn't a perfect mechanical joint, but it has done me alright so far! :)[/quote]

That's how I was planning to orient it, but even my shallowest PSU sticks down about 1/4" inch further than the back legs of the pedaltrain, so my board would be sitting on the PSU.

[quote name='umcoo' post='906307' date='Jul 26 2010, 08:28 PM']thisnameistaken - could you not use a pedal power for the 24v? I'm sure you know, but PT's (Jnr's and up) can take them. Also, if not a pedal power, could a burkey flatliner provide a single power supply for you?[/quote]

I don't think so no. The Burkey does 200mA max on each output, the Voodoo Labs box does 250mA. My Octavius Squeezer needs up to 300mA so neither would work for me.

Also the Burkey is effing giant and wouldn't fit under my board.

Also they are both really expensive compared to the solution I've got now which works fine, it's just a bit bulky.

How deep is your 4-way? (Oooh, came over all Beegees then! :))

I've got one that's about 2mm deeper than the length of a standard 13A earth pin. The tip of the pin probably touches the back of the box. Maybe something like that would help?

A

The mount that comes with it was done in partnership with Voodoo Labs, and is designed for a voodoo Labs power supply. If any others fit it, it's pure fluke.

I used a Diago Powerstation. Velcro'd to the underside on my PedalTrain II & slotted into the groove at the back of my PedalTrain Mini.

[quote name='Alien' post='906375' date='Jul 26 2010, 09:57 PM']How deep is your 4-way? (Oooh, came over all Beegees then! :))

I've got one that's about 2mm deeper than the length of a standard 13A earth pin. The tip of the pin probably touches the back of the box. Maybe something like that would help?[/quote]

Yeah mine is like that too (I checked!) and my lowest-profile PSU is really quite low, but due to the rake of the board although it slips under the height of the feet at the very back, it does protrude further forward.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='907280' date='Jul 27 2010, 04:32 PM']Yeah they are an arse. Maybe I'll file down the prongs on my plugs and melt my 4-gang flatter!

While I'm here who fancies PAT testing my gear? :)[/quote]

What about a custom power supply? I'm not in the UK at the moment so I can't offer my own services, but why not ask around and see if anyone would build it for you? You could always try two supplies, the first a small one with just a high-current 9V out and a 24 volt out, and then another normal one like the Gator you've already got to power everything else.

[quote name='nash' post='907749' date='Jul 28 2010, 12:02 AM']£150 for the pedal power 2 isn't bad considering there's supplies out there for around the same price which aren't as good.[/quote]

Or I could use the £20 9v 1500mA daisy chain that I got years ago from effectpowersupplies that works for more of my pedals than the Pedal Power does. Only downside is it's a wall wart. This is why £150 looks like a lot of money to me.

[quote name='escholl' post='907762' date='Jul 28 2010, 12:12 AM']What about a custom power supply?[/quote]

That's a good idea but I imagine it would work out expensive. In my head I can justify custom costs for things I deem important like switching / mixing (actually I'm in the process of ordering a custom 2-channel stomp-mixer from SFX) that let me use my favourite pedals how I want to use them live, but like I said I already have power that works, it seems OTT to pay out for a custom solution just so it fits under my pedalboard rather than on top / on the back.

[quote name='nash' post='908292' date='Jul 28 2010, 03:35 PM']did you not think about where you'd put your power supplies before you bought the PT?[/quote]

Yes, I thought if they didn't fit underneath I could put them on the top, which is where they currently are. I would have preferred to squeeze them underneath but it looks like it won't happen.