Why become a member? ×

Had a quick scan...looking to find foolproof bass setup guide

Musicman20

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='898850' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:51 PM']Honestly, for a basic set up I've never felt the need for anything more than a screwdriver and some allan keys, and I like my action very low. Try reading through some of the guides online (like the Willis or Jerzy Drozd ones), apply it to your bass(es). If you're happy, sorted. If not, you can buy additional tools and resources.

It's not voodoo, but the only way to learn is to try it IMO. It's pretty difficult to do any permanent damage unless you're using totally excessive force.[/quote]

Agreed. You can get everything you need in Maplins and im sure it will be cheaper than buying a kit. A 6" ruler (and 18" if doing it the Lakland way) cost only a couple of £.
A feeler gauge will be helpful if setting the basses up to the manufactures spec. Not sure how much they cost but they arent expensive.

All the allen keys should have come with the basses anyway and a couple of screwdrivers are all that needed IME.

Edited by dave_bass5

the only things ive ever needed to set up a bass are a pozi, and allen keys and a metal engineers ruler...

the rest of my kit contains side cutters, a tuner, polish, fret board cleaner, a vernier, and a cloth...oh also a head torch and a draw full of snap on tools, oh plus a multi meter and some glue..did i mention my tool belt with router and a lathe??

and a pencil behind my ear

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='898869' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:03 PM']Agreed. You can get everything you need in Maplins and im sure it will be cheaper than buying a kit. A 6" ruler (and 18" if doing it the Lakland way) cost only a couple of £.
A feeler gauge will be helpful if setting the basses up to the manufactures spec. Not sure how much they cost but they arent expensive.

All the allen keys should have come with the basses anyway and a couple of screwdrivers are all that needed IME.[/quote]
I set my basses up to my spec. I couldn't care less what the manufacturer recommends! :)

Issue 50 of Bass Guitar Magazine has full in depth set-up gude that is very good. I photocopy it for all my students.

[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=44:back-issues&id=417:issue-50"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...id=417:issue-50[/url]

Edited by mep

[quote name='bubinga5' post='898895' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:20 PM']the only things ive ever needed to set up a bass are a pozi, and allen keys and a metal engineers ruler...

the rest of my kit contains side cutters, a tuner, polish, fret board cleaner, a vernier, and a cloth...oh also a head torch and a draw full of snap on tools, oh plus a multi meter and some glue..did i mention my tool belt with router and a lathe??

and a pencil behind my ear[/quote]
Surely you'll need a white coat as well?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='898906' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:26 PM']I set my basses up to my spec. I couldn't care less what the manufacturer recommends! :)[/quote]

Good for you. Im pleased for ya :rolleyes:

Im not suggesting you (or anyone should) but sometimes starting with the bass set up for how they were designed is a good idea.

Certainly for someone who has never done it before (like Gareth) setting the relief to how the manufacturer designed it to work well will make all other adjustments a bit easier.

Edited by dave_bass5

Thanks for all the helps chaps.

Ive got a few articles now, instead of buying a book (despite the fact that Fender book will have drool worthy photos so I might get one down the line).

Im going to use the Lakland videos and the JD guide that Barrie has just kindly sorted out for me.

Now I just need the right tools....Ive got everything Fenders come with.

I need:

Quality screwdriver with different head option
Straight Edge
A ruler with the correct increments
Possibly feeler guides
String cutters (I used some before and they were RUBBISH)

I think....

Edited by Musicman20

That sounds like a good plan.
Good luck.

One thing that i couldn't find anywhere was a ruler that starts off in 1/64's. They all have 1/32 markings for the first inch. If you do find one with 1/64's please let me know.

The only thing to watch out for is (and this is just IME) is the Musicman FAQ's seem to be a bit contradictory. I found it very confusing looking for the right specs.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='898924' date='Jul 19 2010, 01:39 PM']I need:

Quality screwdriver with different head option[/quote]

Several quality screwdrivers with the correct fixed heads. Plus a set of allen keys... imperial for US basses, metric for everything else.

[quote]Straight Edge[/quote]

Not strictly necessary

[quote]A ruler with the correct increments[/quote]

Yep.

[quote]Possibly feeler guides[/quote]

Useful, but not necessary. A credit card and a cardboard business card will suffice for most applications.

[quote]String cutters (I used some before and they were RUBBISH)[/quote]

Yep.

Plus a decent electronic tuner and some ears. A capo is useful.

Do all measuring/checks for buzzing in a playing position.

Check the nut first... the strings should each sit about a credit card thickness (about 1/32") above the first fret.

1. Fit new strings if desired
2. Tune strings
3. Check and adjust relief: Capo at first fret, fret by hand where neck meets body. Gap between string and fret at midpoint between the first fret and neck/body join should be around a business card width. Small adjustments of truss rod (quarter turns at a time at most) please! If the truss rod doesn't want to turn, don't force it... take it to a pro. Stingrays are simple to adjust... Fenders might need some loosening of strings and neck screws to get at the truss rod. Righty tighty (to reduce the gap), lefty loosey (to increase the gap).
4. Remove capo... Tune strings
5. Adjust string height. I use 3/32" at 12th fret.
6. Tune strings
7. Set intonation
8. Tune strings.
9. set pickup height to factory levels (6/32" from G string for Stingrays, 6/64" for fender basses)

Then play the thing and adjust from there. Buzzing at first few frets needs more relief. Buzzing only above 12th fret would indicate you need less.

Isolated buzzes: put a straight edge over three adjacent frets to check if it rocks or if there is a gap at the middle one... check that none of the frets move when you push it down.

No single setting for relief etc. will be correct for every player or every bass or gauge/brand/material of strings etc. Feeler gauges are good for checking if the neck has moved since your last adjustment (I use my ears), but I'd caution against using them as the golden rule for setting relief.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='899099' date='Jul 19 2010, 04:23 PM']Ouch haha[/quote]

Was that a bit harsh lol.

Seriously, you wont have any trouble setting up you basses, as long as there isnt anything wrong with then like twisted neck, raised frets etc.

The Mr Gearhead site has the Fender specs and ive always found these to be good starting points.