Why become a member? ×

underpowered

ianSB

[quote name='ianSB' post='898234' date='Jul 18 2010, 12:53 PM']my ampeg svt450 seems to be underpowered :S its not competing at all with the guitars and drummer and its pretty much cranked
i was just wondering what could be the problem[/quote]
Probably not enough speakers to make use of that power.

The problem might not be your tone, it might be the guitars. What kind of stuff are the guitars playing - you could try asking them to roll off a little of their lower frequencies to give you a bit of room down there?

Edited by Mikey R

Probably the gtrs being oblivious to the mix...and just playing what suits them with no regard to the band frequencies.

what are they playing through...?
Roll off the bass on their signal, run them through a power soak.

If they will not consider changing things for the greater good of the band, then get rid of them...
and save your hearing...

Just guessing here.

[quote name='ianSB' post='901929' date='Jul 22 2010, 02:15 PM']ther using a jcm 900 and tsl 100 (i think) both through 412's
its frustrating the hell outta me[/quote]
Those TSLs are brutal. I had the 60, and was very bassy - think the prob is more likely with that one - the JCM900 is less full-on.

Tip might be, play one of your songs with the whole band twice, tho once with one gtr, once with the other. That may give you an indication of where the problem lies.

Assuming you can get a guitarist to not play, lol.

I'm sorry, this is not good enough.

A 4x12 is overkill at the best of times so takes someone with ears to play it and not crucify the band sound.
Carry on like this and you wont have any.

I think you have to front this problem full-on as these guys aren't going to get it on their own.
If you can't cut through with the rig you have, they must have flooded the sound out and after every session your ears must be ringing.
Tell them it is a band mix, not a gtr mix

Do you gig like this..??

This is pet hate on mine and most of the gtrs on dates round here have small combos and kettle amps of around 18watts :) and they don't have a problem as soloists...
For big stages, they add a cab...

2 100w half stacks is madness in a pub, for example

My band is loud-ish, but I'd walk out of a band that pushed 2 4x12's for volume.

Just my 2p and if your ears are getting a pasting as well...insult AND injury.

• 2 weeks later...

I had one for a very short while, and it is not a loud amp in my opinion. And I was using with a 1x15 and 4x10 in a pub rock covers band, and we weren't blisteringly loud.
If you're stuggling with your volume and the rest of the band are playing at normal gigging levels then you'll never be happy with it. Time to change it me thinks.