Why become a member? ×

bass string 55's, flat and plastic coated questions??

algmusic

Even though I've been playing for years as a working muso, maybe like most, I've just used 'what my mate had' or the 'previous owner of the bass' or the 'shop' recommended.. must admit, still don#t have much Idea.. I've been lucky with my strings..

When I bought my Fender Jazz Aerodyne, the previous owner said he used flats on them and the bass sounds even warmer and groovier with them on and it worked well.. I asked him to just put standard strings on them, as I knew this would be my only (working) bass as I play all genres and its's varied. last week heavy rock band, this week funk, R&B band, and then a folk/60's vibe band.. now I have a second jazz (us relic), which sounds great with standard wound strings, I'm strongly considering using flats on the Aerodyne...

I borrowed a friend's jazz V (active) and he asked me to put his flats on for him when I borrowed it. I rehearsed with it yesterday and it was bloody great for the funky, soul vibe.. so I'm sold on the flats idea for the Aerodyne.

I was also thinking of get fatter strings like 55's, so I was thinking 55's flats.. I was told the thicker the string the bigger the tone.. is this right? I play with my fingers and can drive my strings as hard as I can with pick, so I'm not bothered about the extra effort/weight in the strings..

Deep breath...

Next question.. a bassist mentioned plastic coated strings.. I'm told they last longer.. but do they sound good.. how do they sound?

Flats tend to feel "stiffer" to play than rounds, so I wouldn't go for a heavy guage without thinking it through first. They can also put a lot more tension on your bass neck, and the nut may require some work with a file, so some adjustments may be needed.

Do a search here and on Talkbass - you will find lots of opinions and experiences. The favourites tend to be Labella's or Thomastiks - very different strings but both flats. I'd suggest Overwater or Status flats as a starting point as they are cheaper and standard guage, but give you the flatwound sound without extreme (or lack of) tension or cost.

Good luck

I've recently converted to heavy flats & I am very happy with my tone. The neck will certainly need a tweak & the nut can need filing too as BassBod suggests. My sound is big & vintage now. Try rotosound Trubass strings - black nylon if you really want to experiment. Although heavier you won't need to tweak the neck as the tension is lower

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='897183' date='Jul 17 2010, 11:42 AM']Trubass are 65-75-100-115 for the standard 34" scale.[/quote]

bloody hell, that's huge!!!

I think I might have to try these...

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='algmusic' post='897753' date='Jul 18 2010, 04:05 AM']bloody hell, that's huge!!!

I think I might have to try these...[/quote]

Just ordered a set via GAK.. only £23!!.. couldn't believe my eyes... the reviews are all heading in this way especially since a want a deeper, warmer almost acoustic bass sound for this bass..

I'll keep you posted

Hi,

I tried the Tru Bass Strings.. PERFECT.. nice warm, big warm acoustic style sound style sound. The bigger flat strings was the best choice for the Aerodyne bass and a complete different sound to the other jazz which has a more vintage vibe with balls.

I like the idea of the Aerodyne for the Groove old skool, or folky, acoustic style and the relic for the pop, rock, and modern stuff.

And I'm getting the Terror Bass on sunday..

Good times :)

[quote name='algmusic' post='903685' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:23 AM']Hi,

I tried the Tru Bass Strings.. PERFECT.. nice warm, big warm acoustic style sound style sound. The bigger flat strings was the best choice for the Aerodyne bass and a complete different sound to the other jazz which has a more vintage vibe with balls.

I like the idea of the Aerodyne for the Groove old skool, or folky, acoustic style and the relic for the pop, rock, and modern stuff.

Good times :)[/quote]
Great, glad you like them. The Trubass are the only Rotosound string I really like, although I've not used them for a while. I've got La Bella Black Nylons on my Squier Jazz.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='903688' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:30 AM']Great, glad you like them. The Trubass are the only Rotosound string I really like, although I've not used them for a while. I've got La Bella Black Nylons on my Squier Jazz.[/quote]

I know what you mean, I was hesitant as they were Rotosound, as i'm not keen on the brand from experience, but the tru bass.. very cool

[quote name='algmusic' post='903685' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:23 AM']Hi,

Good times :)[/quote]

terror bass?!!

[quote name='davebass66' post='905406' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:51 AM']terror bass?!![/quote]

Yes mate, I traded it for my little mark 2 yesterday. Life is very tubey and vintage.. still grooving. Works a treat with both basses. Will be using it alot in the next month, so I'll let you know how it goes

I've just changed from Roto Trubass to Roto flats.

Only had the flats on for a few days so can't comment other than to say the G string feels like a razorblade. I'm hesitant to slide my finger along it for fear it may cut me. That said, it may just be in my mind as I've just come from the black nylons, which are much thicker.

Black nylons: lovely and warm, great for the plonk, plonk, plonk parts that I play. One thing I will say about them is that the B and E strings feel very plastic. Hard to describe but it feels like you're playing a solid (but flexible) plastic tube rather than a string. I use my thumb so it's not too bad but it felt 'wrong' playing with fingers; there's very little feel/feedback through them. Lower tension so they move about a bit more, especially near the neck. As stated, I'm a roots-and-fifths guy; I think more technical playing would prove slightly more difficult than usual with these. I had to file my nut to fit them, too and, because the strings are thicker, there's less gap between each string, meaning you have to be more precise with your fretting hand.

If you've any specific questions, just ask.

Oh, should it matter, the silk on these is gold. Great if your hardware's gold; not so great with brushed metal/chrome.

Edited by 270degrees

[quote name='270degrees' post='905667' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:26 PM']I've just changed from Roto Trubass to Roto flats.

Only had the flats on for a few days so can't comment other than to say the G string feels like a razorblade. I'm hesitant to slide my finger along it for fear it may cut me. That said, it may just be in my mind as I've just come from the black nylons, which are much thicker.

Black nylons: lovely and warm, great for the plonk, plonk, plonk parts that I play. One thing I will say about them is that the B and E strings feel very plastic. Hard to describe but it feels like you're playing a solid (but flexible) plastic tube rather than a string. I use my thumb so it's not too bad but it felt 'wrong' playing with fingers; there's very little feel/feedback through them. Lower tension so they move about a bit more, especially near the neck. As stated, I'm a roots-and-fifths guy; I think more technical playing would prove slightly more difficult than usual with these. I had to file my nut to fit them, too and, because the strings are thicker, there's less gap between each string, meaning you have to be more precise with your fretting hand.

If you've any specific questions, just ask.

Oh, should it matter, the silk on these is gold. Great if your hardware's gold; not so great with brushed metal/chrome.[/quote]

Wow what bass are you using? also what pick up, My P sounds more like and acoustic and the J is more warm and groovey, but not plastic-like on my bass.. I've found my strings nothing but smooth

[quote name='algmusic' post='905719' date='Jul 26 2010, 12:48 PM']Wow what bass are you using? also what pick up, My P sounds more like and acoustic and the J is more warm and groovey, but not plastic-like on my bass.. I've found my strings nothing but smooth[/quote]

Sorry if it wasn't clear: the sound is gorgeous. The problem I had was with the feel of them under my fingers; as stated, to me, the B and E are a bit too stiff. Perhaps with use they'll loosen up.

I agree with you about "smooth", no unwanted noise from them at all as you move round the fretboard.

[quote name='BassBod' post='905564' date='Jul 26 2010, 10:58 AM']One thing I forgot to mention - the string earth (thru bridge) doesn't work with black plastic strings. I've never had a problem with buzz or noise, but its worth remembering.[/quote]
Possible if strung through body but if the ball end is in the bridge you will get continuity through the string core. Your body touching the strings outer only won't have any effect.