Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Outboard Preamp vs Sansamp.

dave_bass5

First off, i didnt even know about the Sadowsky Outboard Preamp up until an hour ago so sorry if this is going over old ground.

At the moment i use a Behringer BD21 to give me a more active tone. I tend to keep the EQ fretty flat on the BD21 and the drive off. This works well i guess. I dont need or want distortion, and to be honest the output from my bass (via my radio system) is good so i dont need to boost it.
I dont need a DI as such as i use my amps DI whenever i have to, although having a better one is always nice.

I have been thinking about a Audere or maybe even a East pre for my CV Jazz but then stumbled on the Sadowsky in the effects for sale section. I think this might be a better option, as i wont have to keep unplugging my bass between sets.

Im just wondering how different it will sound compared to what i have. Any thought would be much appreciated. Anyone use both?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='890154' date='Jul 9 2010, 09:52 AM']First off, i didnt even know about the Sadowsky Outboard Preamp up until an hour ago so sorry if this is going over old ground.

At the moment i use a Behringer BD21 to give me a more active tone. I tend to keep the EQ fretty flat on the BD21 and the drive off. This works well i guess. I dont need or want distortion, and to be honest the output from my bass (via my radio system) is good so i dont need to boost it.
I dont need a DI as such as i use my amps DI whenever i have to, although having a better one is always nice.

I have been thinking about a Audere or maybe even a East pre for my CV Jazz but then stumbled on the Sadowsky in the effects for sale section. I think this might be a better option, as i wont have to keep unplugging my bass between sets.

Im just wondering how different it will sound compared to what i have. Any thought would be much appreciated. Anyone use both?[/quote]

Ah I had a similar choice when I thought about putting a pre onboard a Lakland, then I realised it would be nice to have a pedal as an option because I have a few passive basses so it would make more sense.

I've not tried the Sadowsky one but I expect it's pretty damn good, although subtle.

The Sansamp will give you the character Sansamp tone which some love but others don't. Like an Ampeg being pushed into slight tube drive all the way to tube grind. It sounds quite modern and aggressive although I think it can be bypassed and just used as a DI.

If you aren't sure on the Sadowsky, there is the Aguilar Tone Hammer which Aguilar have demos of DI'd on their site.

Cheers Gareth.
it was you how first alerted me to the Tone Hammer. I almost got one a few months back but went for the VTBass instead. That lasted one gig and i sold it. It had too much colouring. The TH seems to get good reviews but again, its going to colour the tone too much, plus i feel its a bit overkill for what im looking for. I dont want amp sim or distortion/drive. Thats why i keep those controls off on my BD21.

Im looking more for something to enhance my tone, to tighten it up and make it a bit more modern, without adding too much to it if that makes sense.

God, when i PM'ed you this morning i was GAS free, now look at me lol.

I've got the original Sad outboard pre - bought it years ago & it's been a Godsend in crappy rehearsal studios.

I simply use it to bypass the studio pre-amp and go direct into the power amp, really cleans up the sound and some nice tonal variation too.

I hardly ever use mine so you'd be welcome to borrow it. I'm on holiday for a week but back after that. I work in Covent Garden so could easily get it into Central London :)

[quote name='molan' post='890218' date='Jul 9 2010, 10:39 AM']I've got the original Sad outboard pre - bought it years ago & it's been a Godsend in crappy rehearsal studios.

I simply use it to bypass the studio pre-amp and go direct into the power amp, really cleans up the sound and some nice tonal variation too.

I hardly ever use mine so you'd be welcome to borrow it. I'm on holiday for a week but back after that. I work in Covent Garden so could easily get it into Central London :)[/quote]

Cheers Barrie, that very kind of you.

I have made an offer on the one thats for sale, as after a bit of reading it does seem to be more suited to what im looking for.
Im happy with my gear and never use anyone else's (we dont rehearse) but it seems like these things work really well with passive Jazz basses to just enhance the tone and thats exaclty what im after.

If the sale falls through etc ill give you a shout when you get back. I work in Holborn (Hatton Garden) so i can get up to you any lunchtime.

Have a great holiday.

Edited by dave_bass5

You won't regret getting a Sadowsky. Pure class.

I got mine off a nice chap here, and i was amazed at what it did for tone on passive basses.

Hard to describe but it's not colour, it's a fullness. As if all the harmonics are there. Simple treble and bass boost, but very effective.

I can't bear hearing my basses without it.

Go on :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='890243' date='Jul 9 2010, 10:55 AM']Cheers Bernie, that very kind of you.

I have made an offer on the one thats for sale, as after a bit of reading it does seem to be more suited to what im looking for.
Im happy with my gear and never use anyone else's (we dont rehearse) but it seems like these things work really well with passive Jazz basses to just enhance the tone and thats exaclty what im after.

If the sale falls through etc ill give you a shout when you get back. I work in Holborn (Hatton Garden) so i can get up to you any lunchtime.

Have a great holiday.[/quote]

Cool I'm the holborn side of cg so not far at all

Well it looks like im sorted for one, got it off another member here but thanks again for the offer.

It should be hear during next week.

I dont have a gig next weekend so ill have plenty of time to get used to it.

Damn this GAS, i never saw that one coming.

I've been umming and aahing over one of these for ages, let us know what you think Dave, I think that your opinion as a previous P user will be very useful. Are you going to try it with the Ray34 too, if you still have it.

I dont have a P any more but by all accounts it does wonders to a Jazz tone so im really looking froward to trying it.

I have had a VTBass that i found was a bit too powerful for what i wanted, and the BD21 is fine but it does change the tone a bit more than i would like, ill probably still use it for our rockier gigs.
The Sad seems to be subtle but effective and i can imagine ill have it on all the time. I plan on keeping it on the amp rather than using it as a pedal.
Ive got Chromes on my Jazz now but im sure the Sad will give me a bit more openess.

I do still have the Ray34 although i dont play it any more. I will give it a try though.

Edited by dave_bass5

a Sadowsky outboard with a Fender Jazz is all good.
this pre-amp was probably designed for the Jazz Bass.

it's good my Chrome strung Fretless Jazz too.

Also and hopefully this makes sense, the Sadowsky don't do too much but what it does is high quality. it's warm and full never hi-fi and brittle. I've had on for 13 years now (recently got the pedal/DI version) essential kit for me.

Cheers Foal.

Do you (or anyone here) run it off a PSU? I know Sadowsky tell you to only use theirs but ive read other thread where people are using different PSU's like the One Spot without issues.

As i plan on leaving it on all the time i guess a PSU would make sense. I dont want a real cheap one but i do want something that doesn't add noise.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to know how you got on with the Sadowsky in the end? Was it the solution to your problem?

I am thinking of getting one for my 74 jazz and wanted to get some more feedback on them - any advice would be gratefully received!

Mark

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='892769' date='Jul 12 2010, 12:41 PM']Cheers Foal.

Do you (or anyone here) run it off a PSU? I know Sadowsky tell you to only use theirs but ive read other thread where people are using different PSU's like the One Spot without issues.

As i plan on leaving it on all the time i guess a PSU would make sense. I dont want a real cheap one but i do want something that doesn't add noise.[/quote]

dave Bass 5

Can I just dive in here with a nod to the Aguilar DB924 - Aguilar designed the Sadowsky unit them started making their own. I use the 924 with a P bass and it adds a wonderful fullness to the tone. I had played a Sadowsky and was inpressed with the boost only controls it had built in. To describe what it does..... well it's not overpowering but you certainly know its there in a good way - I guess it enhances the tone! I've read people say that it sounds good at all settings but I guess that depends what you consider is too much treble.

Bad points
Its not footswitchable as an outboard unit, the Sadowsky is, but having tried the Sadowsky unit I was underwhelmed by it thought it was a gumtree sale and I have no way of knowing if the unit was faulty and personally I prefer the Aguilar. There is an on board version but that requires space for two 9v batteries- not thanks!

It runs off two batteries (no psu) they do last for ages and its well worth the slight hassle of changing them for the tonal boost they give.

You don't see them up for sale that often tho ebay is always a good starting point. I was gonna offer Dave a loan to try it out but sounds like you have been furnished with the SAadowsky. Hope your loving it fella.

Edited by krispn

I must admit it whasnt what I was looking for.
I did about 5-6 gigs with it, I would keep it on all the time so the footswitch was never needed but it just wasn't what I was looking for.
Having got used to my BDI21 I thought I could get better with the sad. As it turns out I already had the tone I was looking for so I sold the sad and got a BDDI, more for it's better build.
I use it on all the time but with the blend on about 1/4 so it adds a nice fullness without loosing the tone of the bass.
The extra bass boost really works well with my 1212L cab.

The DB924 sounds like a good unit. I have seen those but I think it's a bit overkill for my needs.