Why become a member? ×

DEMETER BSC 212 Bass Cab

Nostromo

Hi All,

Ive just picked up a Demeter BSC 212 cab so thought I'd share my initial impressions of it with you all ! ! !

Its a 2 x 12" cab also housing an 8" dual concentric driver that handles mid and top frequencies, its also ported with two small forward firing ports in the bottom corner of the cab. Power handling is rated at 500w / 8 ohms.

What does it sound like ? . . . Well . . . its one of the most transparent bass cabs I've ever heard, the best way to describe it would be to say it doesn't really have much of a signature sound of its own at all ? . . . not sure if that’s good or bad ? . . . . what it does do really really well, is clearly demonstrate and expose the differences between any amps or guitars you plug into it.

I’ve been using my SWR SM500 and my reissue Hiwatt DR400 valve head . . . . and, with Jazz, Precision and Music Man basses, the range of sounds and tone you can hear from this cab with these two amps and various bass guitars is amazing . . . its like this cab is all about expressing the sounds of the amps and guitars you plug into it, rather than adding much if anything of its own to the sound ?

It’s fairly efficient, so I guess you wouldn't need a massive amp to drive it, and you do get the very fullest range of tone, from harmonic highs to deep deep lows, all being presented exactly as you'd like to hear them. With my amps, the attack it offers is mind blowing for a relatively small cab. It doesn’t seem to have much of a pronounced resonant frequency point either, as many cabs do, and maybe its this fact that makes it sound so neutral and natural. Obviously the cab must have a resonant frequency I’m just saying it doesn't show itself by any obvious increase in output or colouration at any particular frequency . . yes, this is one very very flat and balanced cab in turns of its output . . . .

I bet it would also sound really good reinforcing an acoustic bass ? . . . but I havent got the facility to try that out.

Hope I havent made the cab sound sort of boring because Yep . . . I really really like it - it definitely brings my guitars and amps alive . . . . and really makes me want to switch on and practice . . . . . . so, over and out for now . . . I think I’ll go and do just that !

Cant wait to use it in a recording setting ?

Anyone else here got any Demeter experience ?

:) :lol: :rolleyes:

Hi,

I got it from Station-Music.de . . . . German based retailer. Spotted it on eBay first of all but missed the auction close. So, emailed them on their web site and went from there.

It was an ex demo cab with some minor cosmetic damage to the carpet covering. Not a problem for me.

More I play it the more I like it . . . .

Cheers

:rolleyes: :) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yea . . . . . good observation . . . . . . not a lightweight . . . . comes in at 30Kg in my scales which is just about ok for me.

As for driver complement . . . I'm not sure ? . . . . . I've googled the cab but havent found any technical info. One things for sure, this cab is ever so well made and very well put together, so it doesn't look like a simple job to take it appart so as to peek inside and have a look ?

I didn't get any sort of hand book or manual with it . . . didn't expect one with a bass cab ! . .

Am playing it lots, have gigged it a couple of times now - and it cuts through and projects really well.

Definitely still scoring 10/10 in all departments.

I only know Demeter as a niche product popular in U.S studio circles like Aguilar used to be.
I have heard great things about their pre amps but we see so little of that stuff over here.
I'd love to hear one.

That cab sounds great though and if they retain their company focus with regard to the good name they have built,
I imagine it would be pretty damn decent.

[quote name='Merton' post='897454' date='Jul 17 2010, 05:48 PM']Doesn't exist without pics :rolleyes:[/quote]

What a doubting Thomas you are Merton . . . . . so just for you ! ! !

Here's the Demeter stood on top of my Eden 1 x 18" . . . . . if you look just to the right of the name tag you can see some very minor damage to the carpet covering which is why I was able to negotiate getting hold of it at a more affordable price. Other than that its brand new.

Also note the Jazz Bass Special stood in front of it . . . thats mine as listed in my signature block . . . . . (just in case Merton might think I pulled this pic off of a google search . . .ha ! . . . . only kidding)

Sorry about the photo quality - had only my mobile phone at hand to take the pic with !

[attachment=54479:Demeter_212.jpg]

:)

Edited by Nostromo

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='897554' date='Jul 17 2010, 08:16 PM']Is this the same Nostromo (Clint) I met in a dodgy carpark near Heathrow Airport about 18 months ago to sell my Epifani UL310?

Cheers

Nick[/quote]

Hello Nick . . . yep thats me . . . . hope you're doing well ?

I still have your lovely Epifani 3x10", and I've looked after it and kept it just as clean and tidy as the day you sold it to me . . . . still use it, though its taken second fiddle to the Demeter at the moment as you will see if you've read the above. . . . .

The Epifani wins hands down on lightness and portability and its a great sounding cab . . . but this Demeter has the edge on it, well, on anything I've ever heard, for a real transparent and revealing sound.

Like someone said above the more I google the Demeter the more I find out its really highly thought of in recording circles in the US.

Anyway, do hope you're band is up and running these days and the live music scene is good for you in your parish ? . . . after all . . . thats what all this gear malarkey is supposd to be about isnt it ! ! !

Great to hear from you again mate,

Cheers for now,