Why become a member? ×

fender classic 70s jazz

ianSB

I've got some serious gas for a Jazz, I don't know why, I love my Thumb and it sounds perfect in my band with my GK, but I still want that Jazz.

My excuse is that a Thumb into a GK is a very distinctive sound and I was something with a more classic sound for potential session work. But oh dear. haha

Anyway, nice purchase mate, glad you like it and I'm jealous.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='888963' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:26 PM']GKs are seriously good, but I would say that, I'm endorsed by them. :rolleyes: Though I did turn down another endorsement before I got an offer from GK. You should look into them if you can find one.[/quote]

thanks for saying that ! :) i now have ultimate GAS haha

[quote name='ianSB' post='888971' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:32 PM']thanks for saying that ! :) i now have ultimate GAS haha[/quote]

If you want to go for the full stack, I'm (probably) selling my two 210RBH cabs (keeping the head). :rolleyes:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92597"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92597[/url]

Those plus any of the GK heads will sound awesome.

[quote name='ianSB' post='887905' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:00 PM']just bought myself a MIM Fender Classic 70s Jazz and its bloody ace.
i love it. the moment i tried it in the shop i thought ive got to get this.
its a lovely 3TS too looks awesome :rolleyes:[/quote]

Without pics, it doesn't exist, let's see it then :) .

[quote name='blackmn90' post='888972' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:32 PM']Best non vintage or custom shop fender jazz IMO, id have it over US 75 RI ...... jus need to get one before they ruin it![/quote]

I'm in the very privileged position of having both.

I've had the US 75 (natural ash, and the more rare, rosewood fretboard) for about a year and just got the classic 70s a couple of weeks ago.

My first impressions are that the classic is very well built and seems the equal of the US jazz. Before passing judgement I intend to get to know the classic better. Sound-wise, the US is smoother and has more balls. The classic is more middy and biting. I like both sounds. Actually, the classic sounds very close to my SX 70s style jazz which is ash bodied and has a maple fretboard.

For the money, I'd go for the classic because there is just not 3 times the value when you consider the US costs almost 3 times the classic.

I'll update my opinions in a few weeks though.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Ive just ordered one of these in Black from Soundslive. £519 inc delivered. Should be here tomorrow.

I must admit im not sure what to expect over my classic Vibe Jazz, as that plays so nicely its one of the best basses ive owned. Plus i have custom wound Wizards in that.
I did like the pups im my old HW1 and the 70's bass has the same i believe so thats a good thing.
Ive not played a 7.25" neck before but im not too worried about that, as long as its a a 1.5" ill be fine.

Black body with a blocked RW neck is my ideal look, and once i get a BAII and black PG on it im hoping this will be it for a few weeks lol.

Its going to be a long 24 hours :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='machinehead' post='894625' date='Jul 14 2010, 12:45 PM']I'm sure you'll love it Dave.

The neck is deeper than my '75RI but very, very comfortable to play. I had a good hour noodling last night on my classic 70s. Great playing and sounding bass. And the looks..................

Frank.[/quote]

Yeah, the looks.............

Cheers.

Does anyone know a good place to get a Black pick guard, and what model to look for?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='894629' date='Jul 14 2010, 12:47 PM']Yeah, the looks.............

Cheers.

Does anyone know a good place to get a Black pick guard, and what model to look for?[/quote]

if it was me i'd just get a genuine Fender black/white/black one,at least you know it will fit.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='894831' date='Jul 14 2010, 04:26 PM']Yeah but ive not had much luck finding the part number to order one.[/quote]
This place looks promising for spares etc.

[url="http://guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.com"]http://guitar-parts-and-spares-uk.com[/url]

Am sure you`ll be very happy with yr Classic 70s - I had one, and whilst it may seem strange recommending something I`ve just sold, it was a fantastic bass, great playability, amazing looks, the only thing is, I`m so much into P-Basses, it just didn`t have the right sound, for me, that is. Out of all the Jazzes I`ve ever played (not that many, but enough) was easily the best.

Cheers for the link Lozz. Once the bass turns up ill try and sort out what type i need. There does seem to be a lot of variation in the different models.

Im also sure ill be happy with the bass. Ive not played that many Jazz basses, in fact im only on my second 4 string Jazz now, as ive always thought i was more in to P's as well, but im really looking forward to playing it.

Well my Bass just turned up and i must admit the neck is a bit of a shock.
I wasn't expecting it to be so chunky. Not sure ill get on with it.

The build quality looks fine but the setup need a good tweak as there is quite a bit of excess relief in the neck. Not a problem though.

Soooooo, not 100% with the neck but ill work at it. Ive got 7 days to return it so plenty of time.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='895799' date='Jul 15 2010, 05:21 PM']Well my Bass just turned up and i must admit the neck is a bit of a shock.
I wasn't expecting it to be so chunky. Not sure ill get on with it.

The build quality looks fine but the setup need a good tweak as there is quite a bit of excess relief in the neck. Not a problem though.

Soooooo, not 100% with the neck but ill work at it. Ive got 7 days to return it so plenty of time.[/quote]

After 10 minutes I didn't really notice much difference in the neck compared to the US 75 RI.

It is a little more chunky, but in a good way. Long periods of playing are very comfortable.

My thoughts are don't judge the neck too quickly and play the bass for several hours before passing judgement.

I do hope you enjoy it. :)

Frank

Thanks Frank.
I am really trying to like this neck. I have requested a RMA number but as it wont go back until after the weekend im going to play it a lot at home and see how i get on.
Im also finding it painful resting my hand on the bridge as the screws are quite high and scratching my hand when i play with a pick.

I think a HW-one might be better for me. I definitely want a 70's style bass but maybe one with a flatter neck.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='895961' date='Jul 15 2010, 08:44 PM']Thanks Frank.
I am really trying to like this neck. I have requested a RMA number but as it wont go back until after the weekend im going to play it a lot at home and see how i get on.
Im also finding it painful resting my hand on the bridge as the screws are quite high and scratching my hand when i play with a pick.

I think a HW-one might be better for me. I definitely want a 70's style bass but maybe one with a flatter neck.[/quote]

Mine has a badass bridge fitted which not only looks better but solves the problem of sharp bits sticking out. I've no idea if badass bridges change the sound very much, especially in a gigging situation where it's hard enough to hear anything.

The answer to your problem is a US 75 RI jazz. Mine has possibly the nicest neck of any bass I've ever played. You'd just have to dig quite a lot deeper into the wallet. :)

Frank