Why become a member? ×

fender classic 70s jazz

ianSB

[quote name='machinehead' post='897295' date='Jul 17 2010, 02:17 PM']Mine has a badass bridge fitted which not only looks better but solves the problem of sharp bits sticking out. I've no idea if badass bridges change the sound very much, especially in a gigging situation where it's hard enough to hear anything.

The answer to your problem is a US 75 RI jazz. Mine has possibly the nicest neck of any bass I've ever played. You'd just have to dig quite a lot deeper into the wallet. :)

Frank[/quote]

Cheers Frank.

I shimmed the neck and more or less got rid of the pain from the bridge by having to raise the saddles up a bit.

But ive sent the bass back and ordered a MIA Jazz. I dug in but couldn't dig too deep. I really wanted to like the 70's classic, and i did to a point, but it seemed to have a raised fret that was stopping me getting the action as i wanted. I found i could live with the neck but not a high action. As its a new bass im not going to get any work done on it so off it went.

I must admit im really loving my CVJ, its easily the nicest neck ive ever played. The MIA has a lot to live up to.

I think you've done the right thing sending it back Dave.

It's always best to go with your gut feelings and perhaps you'd never have been 100% happy with the classic 70s jazz. Better to spend as much money as you need to. It's never a waste if you get what you want and you're happy, but money spend on a bass you're not sure about is bound to be a waste.

I can't see any way on this earth how you won't like the MIA jazz you've ordered. I hope you enjoy it.

Frank.

Thanks again Frank.

Yes, gut feelings are worth listening to IME.

The MIA is double my budget but im really looking forward to playing it. I had a P5 so know how nice the latest Fenders can be. Not that there was anything wrong with the build quality on the MIM. That too was spot on other, than the fret issue and the E string being offset with the pups. I intended to change the bridge anyway so that would have hopefully been a non issue.

Its a shame the MIA doesnt have blocks and inlays though. That would be ideal and was the main reason i went with the MIM.