Why become a member? ×

Shuker 5 String Precision- Picked up today!!

Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='OldGit' post='135357' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:49 PM']Oh! Cousin Blue's looking good ..
That Jon knows how to choose a bit of wood ...
:)[/quote]

He certainly does. I'm actually glad he's chosen all the materials now. At least it means when I go up there, I won't be able to change my mind QUITE as much as I probably will....

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='135519' date='Feb 7 2008, 09:41 AM']He certainly does. I'm actually glad he's chosen all the materials now. At least it means when I go up there, I won't be able to change my mind QUITE as much as I probably will....[/quote]
Stay out of THE WOOD STORE then :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some more pics from Jon. The body has finally been stained and it's come out better than I ever dreamed it would!! I think this is going to look great with the rosewood fingerboard and pearloid block markers.

I'm now going with EMG's but still with spilt pots (Vol/Vol and Tone/Tone) for the P and J Pickups. Unfortunately, he's going to have to get these built especially, but it's worth the wait as I really want the P bass to have the classic 2 knob look rather than 3.

Jon reckons it will be completed in the next few weeks, but I'm not so sure myself....:)

I saw a PJ precision recently where the J pup was the same colour as the bass body .. It looked a bit more "right" than a normal black bridge pup ..
As you are going to a lot of trouble to getyhe trad two knob look how about getting a matched blue wood cover for your bridge pickup?

Just an idea :)

OG

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='183530' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:38 AM']Some more pics from Jon. The body has finally been stained and it's come out better than I ever dreamed it would!! I think this is going to look great with the rosewood fingerboard and pearloid block markers.

I'm now going with EMG's but still with spilt pots (Vol/Vol and Tone/Tone) for the P and J Pickups. Unfortunately, he's going to have to get these built especially, but it's worth the wait as I really want the P bass to have the classic 2 knob look rather than 3.

Jon reckons it will be completed in the next few weeks, but I'm not so sure myself....:)[/quote]

That looks great ... Very nice piece of wood there ..
That 8 mile deep gloss he does is just fab ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='183576' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:30 AM']I saw a PJ precision recently where the J pup was the same colour as the bass body .. It looked a bit more "right" than a normal black bridge pup ..
As you are going to a lot of trouble to getyhe trad two knob look how about getting a matched blue wood cover for your bridge pickup?

Just an idea :)

OG[/quote]

That's certainly an idea Si. I'll give Jon a call and see what he thinks. To be honest, I don't actually mind the P/J pickup. For some reason though I prefer just the 2 knobs (weird eh?)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='183585' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:37 AM']Oh yes, Jon was cutting back the finish while I was there last week. He's particularly impressed with the rich colour of those blue tints. The pics really don't do it justice.[/quote]

My knees have just buckled....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='214021' date='Jun 6 2008, 06:42 PM']Hows my reserve bass doing?

:)[/quote]

Well Si, after "slightly" longer than the anticipated build time my P bass is ready to be picked up on Saturday!!

I honestly can't wait and (sadly) can think about little else at the moment.

The only compromise to my original spec is that instead of stacked vol/vol tone/tone pots, due to the EMG's I've had to go for individual vol vol tone pots, so 3 instead of 2.

Jon's put the battery compartment under the pickguard, so if I don't get on with the EMG's I can swap them for something else and change the controls over to stacked pots easily enough.

I'll post pics up as soon as I get Blue in my grubby little hands.