Why become a member? ×

Maggie May

cytania

[quote name='chris_b' post='886085' date='Jul 5 2010, 09:58 AM']What number is this guy trying to play?[/quote]

Is he tyring to play the bass line from tabs?

if so it's a perfect example of the big problem with tabs over dots - no note duration values ..

Plus his stereo is so tinny he's never heard the bass line from the record..

[quote name='2pods' post='885883' date='Jul 4 2010, 10:08 PM']AFAIK John Peel was drafted in to mime the mandolin part on TOTP, 'cos of a MU rule about actual players being represented, or something. I think little Ronnie used Tony Zemaitis custom jobs, as did Ron of the six string variety plus his usual Fenders.

I've played it hundereds of times, and still enjoy it's loose, laidback feel, which after all, is what Rod and the Faces were about.
It's like "Stay With Me"..great intro, even better outro with solos all 'round, and that bit in the middle :)

Peter[/quote]

I think Ray Jackson of Lindisfarne did the Mandolin job on Maggie May and he just got session pay for it. perhaps WOT might know a bit more.

[quote name='OldGit' post='886190' date='Jul 5 2010, 11:54 AM']Is he tyring to play the bass line from tabs?[/quote]

He might not be reading tabs - you can not tell from the video.
He might be reading penthouse, that might explain the clams he is dropping.

Garry

Whoever played it : I love that bass-line and the sound of that bass is just great, very lyrical playing and really loud in the mix. Whenever they play it on the radio (over here in Belgium not that often) I turn the radio up just because that bass-line is so powerful.
So if I get it right, somebody from Lindisfarne played that bass ?

[quote name='wombatboter' post='886287' date='Jul 5 2010, 02:00 PM']Whoever played it : I love that bass-line and the sound of that bass is just great, very lyrical playing and really loud in the mix. Whenever they play it on the radio (over here in Belgium not that often) I turn the radio up just because that bass-line is so powerful.
So if I get it right, somebody from Lindisfarne played that bass ?[/quote]

Or was it Carole Kaye?

For me, the best part of Maggie May is Micky Waller’s drumming. He had a few health problems over the years and never really achieved as much as he should, but in my opinion, he was one of the best British blues and rock drummers.

[quote name='chris_b' post='886352' date='Jul 5 2010, 03:16 PM']For me, the best part of Maggie May is Micky Waller’s drumming. He had a few health problems over the years and never really achieved as much as he should, but in my opinion, he was one of the best British blues and rock drummers.[/quote]

+1 - forgot about the drumming too, its ace.
Often use it as a reference for dep drummers - 'play it Maggie May style' etc, works every time!

• 4 months later...

Bit late entering discussion here! I always remember learning this in my first band and it was frustrating because the bass didn't seem to have a direction. For many years I dismissed it as a sloppy quite unremarkable bass part. Of course, in retrospect, the song would not be the same without that part! And what a fantastic song:)