Why become a member? ×

Fender RW Jazz VS Lakland JO

Musicman20

I'm interested in all this too, I'm after a jazz (been saying it a while now and had a few offers, still waiting for stuff to shift before I can afford it now) and it's mind boggling the amount of jazzes available from Fender alone. Now they've got the "MIM, assembled in the US" style basses and the "MIM with a few US parts" style basses, it's even more confusing. :)

I still wonder if you had one of each price range bass (e.g. Squier CVJ, MIM Standard, US Standard) and stripped out all the electrics and hardware, then put on identical parts, how much the difference really would be. I expect certain things like finish and fret finish would still be slightly better on the more expensive models, but even with a fret dress the Squier would be a fraction of the price of the US.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='888133' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:53 AM']The nitro finish on these makes a huge difference to the sound. I compared the one I had to an American Standard and the US bass sounded almost choked by it's poly gloss finish.

Perhaps the 'holes' in the finish let more sound out or something? :)[/quote]
You're not as far out as you think, there! :rolleyes:
I actually DO think that there's a difference between thick/thin/no/nitro/poly and even satin/gloss finishes with regard to tone.
My satin finished Zoot is a superb example in this respect. My unfinished/natural Zebrano Warwick also.
I also think that the fact that my MIA Jazz has a decent, 2 piece ash body with a (thinner) trans finish contributes to it being as good as it is.
I've played Highway 1 Jazzes that I thought were very good for the price, and attributed [i]part[/i] of that to the nitro finish.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='888896' date='Jul 7 2010, 08:28 PM']You're not as far out as you think, there! :rolleyes:
I actually DO think that there's a difference between thick/thin/no/nitro/poly and even satin/gloss finishes with regard to tone.
My satin finished Zoot is a superb example in this respect. My unfinished/natural Zebrano Warwick also.
I also think that the fact that my MIA Jazz has a decent, 2 piece ash body with a (thinner) trans finish contributes to it being as good as it is.
I've played Highway 1 Jazzes that I thought were very good for the price, and attributed [i]part[/i] of that to the nitro finish.[/quote]

Good info, thanks :)

The new 08 onwards Fenders have a slightly thinner coating with Fender's blurb 'allowing the body to breathe' more. I must admit, there does seem to be a difference. They sound exactly how I wanted them to.

Its a shame the Highway 1s dont get more coverage....seem like a bargain.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='888892' date='Jul 7 2010, 08:26 PM']I'm interested in all this too, I'm after a jazz (been saying it a while now and had a few offers, still waiting for stuff to shift before I can afford it now) and it's mind boggling the amount of jazzes available from Fender alone. Now they've got the "MIM, assembled in the US" style basses and the "MIM with a few US parts" style basses, it's even more confusing. :)

I still wonder if you had one of each price range bass (e.g. Squier CVJ, MIM Standard, US Standard) and stripped out all the electrics and hardware, then put on identical parts, how much the difference really would be. I expect certain things like finish and fret finish would still be slightly better on the more expensive models, but even with a fret dress the Squier would be a fraction of the price of the US.[/quote]

Its is confusing!

Personally, I still think IF you can pick up a new 2008 onwards American Standard for under £900, (which you can) you are getting a good deal. There are still SOME QC issues on a few to watch out for, but thats something Ive seen with nearly every bass manufacturer if im honest, bar the real high end gear. If you get a good one, which it is more than likely nowadays, you will be happy.

Ive rattled on about the new American Standards a lot, but they seriously are a step up in quality and the upgrades/case are excellent. No need to mod in my opinion....unless you want a different pickup 'sound'. I still smile when I use mine.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='888909' date='Jul 7 2010, 08:39 PM']Good info, thanks :)

The new 08 onwards Fenders have a slightly thinner coating with Fender's blurb 'allowing the body to breathe' more. I must admit, there does seem to be a difference. They sound exactly how I wanted them to.

Its a shame the Highway 1s dont get more coverage....seem like a bargain.[/quote]

It's really difficult to attribute any difference to a particular facet unless you actually swap it over while all else remains equal. When I get round to stripping a couple of poly (one polyester, one possibly urethane?) bodies then I'll see for myself what difference if any I can perceive with an unfinished body on one individual instrument, before I refinish. I will report back! But it may not happen for a while, much though I'm impatient to get going.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='898443' date='Jul 18 2010, 10:35 PM']Hey Gareth.
Have you considered one of these? They seem to be very well liked over on TB. Obviously it will be hard to try one out first.

[url="http://www.atkinsonbasses.com/"]Atkinson basses[/url][/quote]

They look great!

yep.. they'll san the whole thing if necc..and then you'll get all your old dims to make up a new neck/ bass, whatever.

Many clients seem to take old faves down there once they can't be rebuilt anymore, and end up with a 'vintage' new bass.. all worn in and everything.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='888909' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:39 PM']Good info, thanks :)

Its a shame the Highway 1s dont get more coverage....seem like a bargain.[/quote]

I have an '04 Precision in 3 tone sunburst and an '08 Precision in Olympic White and they sound almost the same. The strings I put on them make a difference but with similar strings it is difficult to hear a difference, so I wonder how much the thickness of the paint actually influences the sound. Unless of course the finish on the transparent bass already was thinner.