Why become a member? ×

Fretless Lovelyness :)

Linus27

This a a song that my friend asked me to play on and we ended up, re-writing a fair amount of it. This is the short version and the final will have proper vocals eventually. I played bass on my Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz and I am quite pleased with the results. So love playing fretless.

Anyway, let me know what you think. It was just a bit of fun really but turned out better than we expected.

[attachment=53423:Spatial_Anomaly.mp3]

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='884460' date='Jul 2 2010, 11:34 PM']what was the song ? silence is golden ?

I heard nacht, nada, nothing.

???

T[/quote]

What do you mean? You saying the link did not work or it was blank?

[quote name='witterth' post='884470' date='Jul 2 2010, 11:50 PM']No, it works,just takes a while, be patient chaps.
very nice too!
put me in mind of Mick Karn so cant be too bad at all, that.
Cheers!
W[/quote]

Cheers matey, appreciate the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='884478' date='Jul 3 2010, 12:02 AM']had it going for 3:24 on windows media player, the whole way through. Still nothing.

Aww[/quote]
Should’ve bought a Mac :-)

It is very nicely in the Mick Karn vein… could do with being more dominant in the mix! Have you tried double-tracking bass parts like that? AFAIK that’s how Mick Karn achieved his ‘chorus’..

J.
XX

Edited by Jeremypaulcarroll

[quote name='Jeremypaulcarroll' post='894543' date='Jul 14 2010, 10:58 AM']Should’ve bought a Mac :-)

It is very nicely in the Mick Karn vein… could do with being more dominant in the mix! Have you tried double-tracking bass parts like that? AFAIK that’s how Mick Karn achieved his ‘chorus’..

J.
XX[/quote]

It's interesting the Mick Khan references as I've not actually heard any of his playing. I got a Japan album the other day but not actually listened to it.

Thanks for the tips on double tracking. I am back in the studio on Thursday so I might give that a try. Thanks.

That does really sound fantastic! And I'm with the others: you don't really need any "proper" vocals - there's enough interest as it is.

I can't wait to hear what you sound like with a Warwick fretless - you're really making that Squier sing!

[quote name='mart' post='895932' date='Jul 15 2010, 08:11 PM']That does really sound fantastic! And I'm with the others: you don't really need any "proper" vocals - there's enough interest as it is.

I can't wait to hear what you sound like with a Warwick fretless - you're really making that Squier sing![/quote]

Hey, thank you very much. The second song we are working on which is about 95% finished I think is even better. A much more complicated bass line and so much more fretless lovelyness :) I will post it soon.

[quote name='Linus27' post='896234' date='Jul 16 2010, 08:30 AM']Hey, thank you very much. The second song we are working on which is about 95% finished I think is even better. A much more complicated bass line and so much more fretless lovelyness :) I will post it soon.[/quote]

Oooh - looking forward to that!

[quote name='Linus27' post='884446' date='Jul 2 2010, 11:17 PM']This a a song that my friend asked me to play on and we ended up, re-writing a fair amount of it. This is the short version and the final will have proper vocals eventually. I played bass on my Squire Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz and I am quite pleased with the results. So love playing fretless.

Anyway, let me know what you think. It was just a bit of fun really but turned out better than we expected.

[attachment=53423:Spatial_Anomaly.mp3][/quote]
Hi,i just listened to your track, nice playing, could be more prominent in the mix, double tracking sounds wicked, here's some stuff i double tracked, cheers , d h p. if your interested, my, myspace link is, www.myspace.com/jibberingwillop

[quote name='dhp' post='899443' date='Jul 19 2010, 09:26 PM']Hi,i just listened to your track, nice playing, could be more prominent in the mix, double tracking sounds wicked, here's some stuff i double tracked, cheers , d h p. if your interested, my, myspace link is, www.myspace.com/jibberingwillop[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks very much and enjoyed the song. Thanks for the tip also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Michael.

Great song and very nice playing. I get the M Karn references, although i would add your playing sounds in tune so different from Karns ;-)
Actually it reminds me more of the Ultravox/Gary Numan with Pino sound, although the bass is less prominent.

I dont think it needs proper vocals, it perfect the way it is.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='910323' date='Jul 30 2010, 03:03 PM']Hey Michael.

Great song and very nice playing. I get the M Karn references, although i would add your playing sounds in tune so different from Karns ;-)
Actually it reminds me more of the Ultravox/Gary Numan with Pino sound, although the bass is less prominent.

I dont think it needs proper vocals, it perfect the way it is.[/quote]

Hey Dave,

Thanks very much. I do have another track which I think is much better from a fretless point of view. As soon as its finished I will post it up.