Why become a member? ×

Markbass Club 121 - any views?

benthos

Hi All,

I'm looking for a modular lightweight rig based around the GB shuttle 6 head I recently bought here from a fine gent (thanks, drewk_ie!)

I'm drawn to the idea of 2 12" cabs for maximum flexibility between rehearsals and gigs, and have been drawn to the likes of the Berg 112 and GB NeoX 112. I see that Markbass now have the (ultralight!) Club 121 and wondered if anyone had heard these?

Your opinions, as always, are highly valued!

Thanks.

Edited by benthos

I have a Markbass 121 combo, which is probably close to the 121 cab in tone and volume.

For my money, I would go for a pair of Barefaced 1 x 12 Midget cabs. Cheaper, louder, deeper, lighter......

I'm not on commission, just offering my opinion.

Frank

[quote name='Musicman20' post='883751' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:23 AM']If you like Markbass, and the NY, try the NY122...only £710 ish for a light powerful 2x12 with a pretty decent amount of whump![/quote]
Worth a thought, for sure. I hear that these new club 121s are supposed to sound better than previous MB cabs and MB cabs in general seem to attract lovers and haters in equal measure.

What a minefield!

If 45 lbs still qualifies as light for you, you should definitely listen to Aguilar GS112 and DB112 cabs. The AE112's are about 30 lbs, expensive but one of the best and the lightest, loudest cab, in my opinion, is the Barefaced Compact, at 26lbs.

And all of these work even better when you add a second cab!

[quote name='chris_b' post='883872' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:35 PM']If 45 lbs still qualifies as light for you, you should definitely listen to Aguilar GS112 and DB112 cabs. The AE112's are about 30 lbs, expensive but one of the best and the lightest, loudest cab, in my opinion, is the Barefaced Compact, at 26lbs.

And all of these work even better when you add a second cab![/quote]
I've heard good things about the Aguilar cabs. Weight is not so much the issue as bulk, I guess so the weight of the Aguilars is not off-putting.

Thanks for the advice.

Please don't ignore the advice you're getting about the Barefaced cabs.

I own Markbass gear, Ive owned quite a few different of their cabs and both LM I and LM II amps and it's great gear.

The Barefaced cabs are lighter, cheaper, louder and better sounding than the Markbass. They are very clear and undistorted though. I like that but obviously it won't be to everyones taste.

Frank

[quote name='benthos' post='884616' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:15 AM']I've heard good things about the Aguilar cabs. Weight is not so much the issue as bulk, I guess so the weight of the Aguilars is not off-putting.

Thanks for the advice.[/quote]

If weight isnt an issue...the Aguilar will blow most the other cabinets out the water. I spent ages looking at cabinets, and tried all the manufacturers mentioned here. The Aguilar cabs look so 'presentable' its unreal (especially the DB series) and they are very well made. Exceptional tone. I havent found anything I like better yet. Great resale value as well, which is a must for me, (not that I want to sell though).

Edit - Quick shot of my DB212....lovely [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=49475"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=49475[/url]

Edited by Musicman20

Aguilar cabs for me. I use GS112x2 and more than happy.
The DB112 series is the same chassis but the cab ported differently so have a mid bias.
These are ceramic and around 40lb per cab

For me, for 12's I'd check out Bergs (NEO and ceramic) but at this level you are just going for the sound that suits you best. Volume is not an issue when paired up.

Visually, the Ag DB112 blacks look great as do the Berg AE112 IMO.

[quote name='machinehead' post='885066' date='Jul 3 2010, 09:33 PM']Please don't ignore the advice you're getting about the Barefaced cabs.

I own Markbass gear, Ive owned quite a few different of their cabs and both LM I and LM II amps and it's great gear.

The Barefaced cabs are lighter, cheaper, louder and better sounding than the Markbass. They are very clear and undistorted though. I like that but obviously it won't be to everyones taste.

Frank[/quote]
I'm certainly coming to the conclusion that there are arguably 'better' cabs out there than the Markbass cabs (however you define better) and the Barefaced kit is certainly of interest to me. I have not had the opportunity to hear the difference between ceramic and neo cabs and I have seen that some hold the view that the lighter neo cabs produce a different and less pleasing/familiar sound to their ears.

For that reason I'm minded to 'play it safe' and go with the Aguilar cabs as they tick the boxes for being reasonably compact and modular (certainly much more so than my current 4 x 10!), they're keenly priced and I haven't seen a bad word said against their sound.

[quote name='JTUK' post='886015' date='Jul 5 2010, 07:36 AM']Would you buy them on technical spec..??

what would you look for ..?[/quote]

Yes, I would choose between various cabs based on their specs. I have bought literally hundreds of speakers in my job this way for 20 years or more and quite a few PA systems. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to a cab if you can, but judging by basschat, most players can't do this so a basic knowledge of speaker technology can, at the very least, help you weed out the poor performers.

I know and understand that everyone has different preferences in how a cab sounds but that's a different matter.

What to look for? There's lots of information online and on basschat regarding loudspeaker specs. I'm not expert enough to begin to explain it though so best to just google. Although I do sense that it was a rhetorical question. Forgive me if I'm wrong. :)

benthos The Aguilar cabs seem an excellent choice. Lots of people love them. I've only heard a single 1 x 12 for a short blast. Sounded great.

Frank.

Specs... well, as long as the power handling and frequency range was ok, that would be about it for me.
I wouldn't be sure of some claims or the way they might come to some figures so the best arbiter, IMV, is ears....always.

If it doesn't sound any good, then what would be the point....?
you can have specs all over the place, but the most important thing is telling you it is a pile of ****...!!!!!

Aggie 12s all the way mate!

To my ear, the GS range are a bit more aggressive with a fuller low end and slightly mid shy at volume, the DB range are a little warmer and trad sounding, but still aggressive but in a more middy kinda way.
My preference is the GS112 though, would love 2 of the buggers and a 500W amp, the perfect set up, loud enough for most things but also modular and compact.
I used to have just one but I've had to downsize for now :)
When the time comes round again though, I doubt I'll look anywhere else...

Eude

[quote name='benthos' post='883768' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:35 AM']Worth a thought, for sure. I hear that these new club 121s are supposed to sound better than previous MB cabs and MB cabs in general seem to attract lovers and haters in equal measure.

What a minefield![/quote]

My take on MB is. That they are light have a good tone, but if I had more funds or a stronger back, I'd look elsewhere.. I use a LM and an orange sp210. I think it has more tone than the MB's.. but light is i'mportant as a gigging muso.. I can take it on the tube. I can actuall take my full rig on the tube 2x10, 1x15 and LM, bass on back.. It makes a city gig alot cheaper for me

[quote name='eude' post='887114' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:16 AM']Aggie 12s all the way mate!
<snip>
When the time comes round again though, I doubt I'll look anywhere else...
Eude[/quote]

Thanks for all your help, folks.

My mind is made up - GS112NT on the floor, GS112 on top of that. Just need to find some velcro to make sure the Shuttle 6.0 doesn't fall off!

[quote name='algmusic' post='887176' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:24 PM']I can actuall take my full rig on the tube 2x10, 1x15 and LM, bass on back.. It makes a city gig alot cheaper for me[/quote]

I bet you're popular when you do that... :)
I get evils just for wearing a rucksack on the blinkin' tube in London!

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='887181' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:29 PM']I bet you're popular when you do that... :rolleyes:
I get evils just for wearing a rucksack on the blinkin' tube in London!

Eude[/quote]
So it's you that's got that rucksack on - take it off and put it on the floor! :)

Edited by benthos

[quote name='algmusic' post='887176' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:24 PM']My take on MB is. That they are light have a good tone, but if I had more funds or a stronger back, I'd look elsewhere.. I use a LM and an orange sp210. I think it has more tone than the MB's.. but light is i'mportant as a gigging muso.. I can take it on the tube. I can actuall take my full rig on the tube 2x10, 1x15 and LM, bass on back.. It makes a city gig alot cheaper for me[/quote]

wow...... take my hat of to you to lug that around on the tube..