Why become a member? ×

UK Border Agency and import charges - please read!!

Stacker

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='885208' date='Jul 4 2010, 02:41 AM']I'm considering buying a LM2/3 off the TalkBass forums. I guess I'd have to pay the 17.5% VAT and that's it? Or would it be more because it's electronics?[/quote]

You will pay import duty on the value then VAT on top of that. Then, if not sent via DHL, etc, Parcelforce will charge their pound of flesh in the form of a £13.50 'handling fee', which stinks! To save yourself any grief, get the seller to put the commodity code onto the shipping docket!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='885263' date='Jul 4 2010, 09:54 AM']I've looked all over on mine and can't find a commodity code.[/quote]

Well, there you go! Write to them at:-

UK Border Agency
Coventry International Hub
Siskin Parkway West
COVENTRY
CV3 4HX

It must, thoguh, state on the docket exactly what the goods are. Don't give them the code; let them do the work and make sure the code is correct when they write back to you! Ask them to re-asses the charges. If they stonewall you, or don't reply, get your MP involved, like I did. That'll set a fire under their lazy ar*e!!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' post='885277' date='Jul 4 2010, 10:20 AM']Well, there you go! Write to them at:-

UK Border Agency
Siskin Parkway West
COVENTRY
CV3 4HX

It must, thoguh, state on the docket exactly what the goods are. Don't give them the code; let them do the work and make sure the code is correct when they write back to you! Ask them to re-asses the charges. If they stonewall you, or don't reply, get your MP involved, like I did. That'll set a fire under their lazy ar*e!![/quote]

Wouldn't it just be easier to make sure they use the correct code in the first place or am I missing something? I'd rather them get it right first time than go through a load of hassle later.

[quote name='4000' post='885320' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:16 AM']Wouldn't it just be easier to make sure they use the correct code in the first place or am I missing something? I'd rather them get it right first time than go through a load of hassle later.[/quote]

I quite agree but the onus is on the UKBA to apply the correct code. Sure you could ask your seller to put it on the docket but what if they refuse? This may sound like a bit of rant on my part but we're not here to do the UKBA's job for them or make it easy on them. I personally do not agree with paying duty and VAT on second-hand kit but if I'm going to live with it then I want it done right! I've just done a rough calculation on the guitars and basses I've imported from outside the EU over the past ten years and I reckon UKBA/HMRC have diddled me out of approx £200.

As to hassle, I'm with you on that but there's also something satisfying about catching out a Government department not doing its job right and getting a refund offa them.

Stacker - 2 UKBA - 0

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' post='885246' date='Jul 4 2010, 09:27 AM']You will pay import duty on the value then VAT on top of that. Then, if not sent via DHL, etc, Parcelforce will charge their pound of flesh in the form of a £13.50 'handling fee', which stinks! To save yourself any grief, get the seller to put the commodity code onto the shipping docket![/quote]

Hmm. Any ideas how much the import duty is? If not, know how I could find it out?

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='885208' date='Jul 4 2010, 02:41 AM']I'm considering buying a LM2/3 off the TalkBass forums. I guess I'd have to pay the 17.5% VAT and that's it? Or would it be more because it's electronics?[/quote]

be carefull, a lot of Mark Bass amps (if not all) are not dual voltage, so I'd be wary of buying any Mark Bass amp not originally produced for the Eurpoean market.

And yes UK VAT charges go up on 1/1/2011 - still 17.5% until then

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='885378' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:11 PM']Hmm. Any ideas how much the import duty is? If not, know how I could find it out?[/quote]

The duty, from what I can make out, is 3.7%. Add that to the overall value then add VAT to that figure.

[quote name='Stacker' post='885277' date='Jul 4 2010, 10:20 AM']Well, there you go! Write to them at:-

UK Border Agency
Siskin Parkway West
COVENTRY
CV3 4HX.....[/quote]

Cheers. :)
However I think I'd like to include attachments as proof. Do you have an email address I can use for this? I've been on their site but can't find anything appropriate.

[quote name='Stacker' post='885401' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:36 PM']The duty, from what I can make out, is 3.7%. Add that to the overall value then add VAT to that figure.[/quote]

Is duty on the item only price or the item plus shipping price?

Also IIRC duty has to be at least £7.00 before it's charged (or has that changed?)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='885454' date='Jul 4 2010, 01:39 PM']Is duty on the item only price or the item plus shipping price?

Also IIRC duty has to be at least £7.00 before it's charged (or has that changed?)[/quote]

iirc duty is only on the item price, but vat is on the item+shipping combined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='885414' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:49 PM']Cheers. :)
However I think I'd like to include attachments as proof. Do you have an email address I can use for this? I've been on their site but can't find anything appropriate.[/quote]

Sorry, all done by post. I had to print the pix off and send 'em.

[quote name='Stacker' post='885365' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:00 PM']As to hassle, I'm with you on that but there's also something satisfying about catching out a Government department not doing its job right and getting a refund offa them.[/quote]

If you knew what I did for a living you'd probably understand why that wouldn't give me quite as much satisfaction as it gives you. :)

Regardless, I'd much, much sooner get it right first time. Hassle is something I try and avoid at all costs, and extra hassle....well, I just don't need it. If I can help get it right first time I'd much sooner do that.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Gwilym' post='885389' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:19 PM']be carefull, a lot of Mark Bass amps (if not all) are not dual voltage, so I'd be wary of buying any Mark Bass amp not originally produced for the Eurpoean market.

And yes UK VAT charges go up on 1/1/2011 - still 17.5% until then[/quote]

Bugger, I didn't even think about it. Not really worth it when you added in VAT etc anyway.
Suppose I'll just wait for another one to appear on here