Why become a member? ×

See-thru scratchplates

bottomfeed

I've got a Sandberg basic 5, without a scratchplate

After playing it like this for a while, I found I was making a hole in the finish with my thumb.. so I thought an acrylic scratchplate would be the best option... protection & the woodgrain still visible.... had one made by [url="http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/scratchplate.htm"]Aurora project[/url] at a very reasonable price....

Looks cool....

I sweat a lot at gigs..... & I've noticed that my sweat seeps under the scratchplate... & sits there in little squishable puddles between the wood & plate!

Probably not that good for the wood... & it looks unsightly... I guess this happens with my other basses but I just don't see it with regular scratchplates...

Anyone else get this? Any possible solutions?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='880028' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:30 PM']Maybe a thin line of mastic around the edge of the plate, wait for it to dry then put it back on. Would that act as a gasket?

Oh I made my own see through plate with a bit of perspex and a lot of time.
[/quote]

That looks cool.... I strangely like being able to see the gubbins within!....

could work as a solution... but the sweat gets in through the screws too.... :)

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='880034' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:34 PM']That looks cool.... I strangely like being able to see the gubbins within!....

could work as a solution... but the sweat gets in through the screws too.... :)[/quote]

Cheers man I decided if I was going to refinish it in that style there was no point in covering it up.

Maybe a thin coat of super glue on the screws to stop them rusting?

Following on from Wayne's idea of a mastic gasket, could you not fill the scratchplate holes at the same time, and when dry, let the screws pierce the mastic?

This was stop, if not all, most, of the moisture getting through that way - a thin smear of mastic over the top would seal it properly, and make the screws easy to get out. Super glue may make this more problematic, that the smear of mastic.

Just a thought!

Sweat and gunk will get everywhere..so you'll take the bass apart every once in a while and clean it, wouldn't you..???

I wouldn't go with the mastic idea as that will just get very messy and ugly when you have to take the plate off.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='880028' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:30 PM']Maybe a thin line of mastic around the edge of the plate, wait for it to dry then put it back on. Would that act as a gasket?[/quote]

Mastic as a gasket? Sounds fantastic!

Not sure if it would [i]work[/i], but it makes great poetry ;-)

[quote name='mart' post='881068' date='Jun 29 2010, 03:49 PM']Mastic as a gasket? Sounds fantastic!

Not sure if it would [i]work[/i], but it makes great poetry ;-)[/quote]

...hmmm....mastic as a gasket?..... Fantastic? Bombastic? ...nah, sounds a bit drastic....

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='880028' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:30 PM']Oh I made my own see through plate with a bit of perspex and a lot of time.
[/quote]

make sure you don't do any Chinese or Korean gigs with that guitar. You'd be likely to be lynched by an angry mob.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='882982' date='Jul 1 2010, 01:58 PM']Seriously though - a Chinese journalist once told me that even now in China and Korea, that Japanese Imperial flag is a hated symbol and viewed with much disdain after what went on there with the Japanese during World War Two.[/quote]

Oh dear, have I just made a racist bass?