Why become a member? ×

Anyone enjoy Muse at Glastonbury?

TomNicoBassman

Watched the whole set - thought the showmanship and musicianship were top-notch.

Pity about the BBC's live mix - Oh, boy :). Drums sounded all wrong - no 'snap' from the snare, toms mixed [i]waaaay[/i] too high, muddy kick sound etc (and a big IMHO added to all this - I'm not an experienced live sound engineer, but, well it sucked on my TV).

Bass was mostly MIA in my feed - couldn't really tell the basses apart - sounded like they'd all been EQ'd to sound the same, which is a pity, 'cos Chris gets a killer tone, particularly for songs like 'Hysteria' and 'Stockholm Syndrome'.

Great to see The Edge come on for a number - not a big U2 fan, but 'Streets with No Name' was well executed IMO.

Woulda been nice to get a couple more songs from their back catalogue like 'Sunburn' and 'Space Dementia'. I liked 'Citizen Erased', and I guess time constraints meant they couldn't segue into 'Micro Cuts'. Also would have been good to include 'MK Ultra', but again this is all down to my preference.

Ian

I was there and thought that it sounded great, the bbc (IMO) often struggle to capture the true sound of Glastonbury gigs.
I own one Muse album, I like them but I'm not devoted to them, I though they were excellent. The bass player's style is quite solid No nonsense stuff but it works. He seemed to be playing through effects and it seemed to me that he was responsible for more of the band's sound than I had previously thought. Certain bits I thought were guitar or keys were actually (or so it seemed ) processed bass sounds. I have no problem with the use of extra musicians (the keys player was featured quite well on the screens on the sides of the stage) .If the bass player wants to change bass every song ...so what?
No exactly Rolf, but Muse were good.

Loved it. Not got any Muse albums but enjoy the odd song I hear but always found their songs a bit downbeat.
Thought I'd check the performance & really enjoyed it, especially the energy they projected. Curtainly not downbeat. Amazed at the number of different basses the guy used. Never seen a headless bass!!
Also loved Florence & the Machines & the Editors sets & some new bands for me the National & Hot Chip. One of the best all round lines up Glasto for years.
Me & why wife spent most of the weekend watching it on the BBC channels. Even my 2.5 year enjoyed dancing & singing around to some songs . :)

Edited by FLASH

[quote name='silddx' post='879566' date='Jun 28 2010, 09:33 AM']I thought I was a cracking set. It did what it was supposed to do. Top class professionals at the top of their game. Extremely entertaining.[/quote]
You can analyze as much as you like but the bottom line is : it's entertainment. (IMO it was pretty serious entertainment)

Good performance, but then again they are good performers. I'm just glad others thought the TV sound sucked because I keep on thinking it's my telly. Tried to watch/listen via the internet yesterday and the mix you hear was off, drums were too loud, couldn't hear the bass much. However, I think that was a problem all through Glasto with all bands I think.

[quote name='burno70' post='878779' date='Jun 27 2010, 12:57 PM']I enjoyed watching them. I didn't know whether the bass sound was light or whether it was my old telly. Fantastic live band though.

Does anyone know what the glowing square is on the singers guitar? (sorry not great with names). Is this a musical device or just ornament?[/quote]

It's a Kaoss Pad - check 'em out on the Korg website

Its interesting to read everyones opinions as always. So heres mine...

1) I saw stevie wonder on saturday and the sound was amazing compared to what was shown at glastonbury on sunday. And im positive that it sounded crap just because of bbc's coverage, you dont get half the frequencies and clarity as you do in person. The difference is amazing and you would think in a modern day bbc would do better.

2) Swapping basses for different songs. Why? you get basses with a million knobs these days and its pretty much so you dont need to swap. For rock songs its all the same anyway, fender jazz, p bass or stingray style thing and its perfect. I did a few sets last week and just used my stingray the whole way through just giving it slight adjustment when needed.
And isnt Muse mostly fuzz based anyway? a nice passive bass and your sorted! Just showboating his money me thinks (N)

[quote name='Kev' post='878963' date='Jun 27 2010, 05:00 PM']..but you couldn't hear the tone, let alone a difference!

I love muse, but i don't understand why he has stopped using the pedulla live in the last few years, his tone has seriously suffered..[/quote]

His tone? How can you possibly hear "tone" through all those nasty effects?! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='880130' date='Jun 28 2010, 06:09 PM']His tone? How can you possibly hear "tone" through all those nasty effects?! :)[/quote]

Never mind the effects - unless you've piped the TV through the hifi or a good set of headphones - how can you possibly hear it through a set of small-time TV speakers!

You wouldn't go on stage with a 2x4" cab now would you! :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed the Muse set although I'm sure it was much better live.

[quote name='Apex' post='880227' date='Jun 28 2010, 07:46 PM']Never mind the effects - unless you've piped the TV through the hifi or a good set of headphones - how can you possibly hear it through a set of small-time TV speakers!

You wouldn't go on stage with a 2x4" cab now would you! :)

Really enjoyed the Muse set although I'm sure it was much better live.[/quote]

Fair point, however the coverage from there gig in Teignmouth, the sound was fine, brilliant even.

Here's a thing......... I was watching the start of the Pet Shop Boys set and thought "if there was distorted guitar playing along here, and the vocals were proto-operatic, this would sound like Muse!!"

Personally, I think Muse are a great band. Also, as stated previously, what's the deal with "the pipe". Is this the Jack Hargreaves influence - HOW!!!???

[quote name='Bassman68' post='879844' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:28 PM']Just a pity 'bout 'the pipe'!....................[/quote]

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='880416' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:02 PM']Personally, I think Muse are a great band. Also, as stated previously, what's the deal with "the pipe". Is this the Jack Hargreaves influence - HOW!!!???[/quote]

[quote name='steve-soar' post='880119' date='Jun 28 2010, 05:52 PM']They need to smoke more weed.[/quote]

May be Chris was puffing away during the set on some Glasto Grass! Seriously though I didn't get the pipe and thought he looked a dick. I'm a non-smoker and think most people who smoke look like dicks anyway (IMO) - but a pipe!!

Personally I thought that they were pretty fine, not quite up to the standard of their Wembley Stadium gig though. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't bring out their UFO prop but I was loving the pipe. Playing a bit of House of The Rising Sun was a nice touch too, as was bringing The Edge out!

On a slightly different topic, I have been fully converted to The Stranglers! What a thunderous live bass sound - I think I spotted JJ using four (!) Ashdown 410 or 412 cabs!

[quote name='AndyTheBassBison' post='880961' date='Jun 29 2010, 01:59 PM']On a slightly different topic, I have been fully converted to The Stranglers! What a thunderous live bass sound - I think I spotted JJ using four (!) Ashdown 410 or 412 cabs![/quote]

Good man! Actually, two 4X10's and two 1X18's I believe. Woolly? I think not! I saw them the night before in Frome at a 'Glastonbury warm-up' gig. Bloody good night as always. Sadly, their Glastonbury appearance (first one ever, due to falling out with Michael Eavis in the 70's) was totally neglected by the BBC.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='881284' date='Jun 29 2010, 07:47 PM']Good man! Actually, two 4X10's and two 1X18's I believe. Woolly? I think not! I saw them the night before in Frome at a 'Glastonbury warm-up' gig. Bloody good night as always. Sadly, their Glastonbury appearance (first one ever, due to falling out with Michael Eavis in the 70's) was totally neglected by the BBC.

[/quote]Great pic, my Cornish M.I.B. friend. :)