Why become a member? ×

Bass related reading material

sprocketflup

Ok, youve all got a lot to answer for...

Im looking for some recomendations for bass related reading material as I have recently been drawn back to the low octave fold after a lengthy break and would like to catch up with as much as I can

Also reading some of your threads his giving me serious GAS, and to think I only joined the forum to alleviate it.......

So what would you guys and gals recomnend? i love reading, me :)

Er... if you're a Fender man, then these:

[color="#0000FF"]The Fender Bass - an Illustrated History

Haynes Fender Bass Manual: How to Buy, Maintain and Set Up the Fender Bass Guitar

How The Fender Bass Changed The World[/color]

If you're not, then something else! :)

[quote name='discreet' post='878495' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:07 PM']Er... if you're a Fender man, then these:

[color="#0000FF"]The Fender Bass - an Illustrated History

Haynes Fender Bass Manual: How to Buy, Maintain and Set Up the Fender Bass Guitar

How The Fender Bass Changed The World[/color]

If you're not, then something else! :)[/quote]

+1 on The Haynes Fender Bass Manual. Just bought my copy yesterday. Now I'm biased because I know the guy that wrote it, but it's an excellent book that will IMHO become a standard reference work just like it's sister publications for the Strat, Telecaster and Les Paul - all by the same author.

[b]The Bass Book: A Complete Illustrated History of Bass Guitars[/b]

Read up on the history of the bass...very inspiring.

Or:

[b]Bass Culture: The John Entwistle Bass Collection [/b]

If you jus wanna GAS over some visuals...

Edited by Kongo

THis is a great look at bass playing/music in New York in very exciting musical times:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdland-Broadway-Scenes-Jazz-Life/dp/0195085507/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277626565&sr=8-3"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdland-Broadway-...6565&sr=8-3[/url]

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='879852' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:33 PM']Ok thanks for the recomendations ( the serious ones anyway :) )lol

Anymore?[/quote]

Which ones aren't serious?

Here are a bunch that I like. Some of them are biographical,some are interviews,some have musical
examples,and others are a mixture of everything.......
'Brave New Bass', 'Studio Bass Masters', 'Bass Heroes' 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown',
'In Cold Sweat....Interviews with Really Scary Musicians', 'The Extraordinary and Tragic life of Jaco Pastorius',
'The Bass Book', 'American Basses', 'The Bass Player Book', 'The Jazz Bass Book','Me and My Bass Guitar...
The Life and Music of Victor Wooten', all the Fender books that have already been mentioned are great aswell.

Try some of them for a start-There are loads more. It just depends on what you are looking for.

[quote name='Doddy' post='879976' date='Jun 28 2010, 03:46 PM']'In Cold Sweat....Interviews with Really Scary Musicians'[/quote]
Wicked book! You'll love the Scott Thunes interview which is by far the biggest. He's my favourite bassist.

I really liked the Wooten book "The Music Lesson". Don't like his music but by god this book is thought provoking.

Ah - Waynepunkdude and Doddy, I apologise i thought the suggestion of "Bass guitar for dummies" was a p*ss take I spend large portions of my time taking the p*ss sometimes I assume everyone else does too

Many thanks for all the recomendations - Doddys list in particular is wicked - Im off to redeem some Waterstones vouchers that Ive had lying around since christmas :)

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='880134' date='Jun 28 2010, 06:13 PM']Ah - Waynepunkdude and Doddy, I apologise i thought the suggestion of "Bass guitar for dummies" was a p*ss take I spend large portions of my time taking the p*ss sometimes I assume everyone else does too

Many thanks for all the recomendations - Doddys list in particular is wicked - Im off to redeem some Waterstones vouchers that Ive had lying around since christmas :)[/quote]

Nah it's cool someone bought it for me for Xmas once as a piss take but it turned out to be a really informative book even after all the years I have been playing.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='878491' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:01 PM']Bass Guitar for Dummies is awesome.[/quote]
Perhaps I might dig mine out, I haven't even looked at the cover since someone described it as 'arse water'.

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='880134' date='Jun 28 2010, 06:13 PM']Ah - Waynepunkdude and Doddy, I apologise i thought the suggestion of "Bass guitar for dummies" was a p*ss take I spend large portions of my time taking the p*ss sometimes I assume everyone else does too

Many thanks for all the recomendations - Doddys list in particular is wicked - Im off to redeem some Waterstones vouchers that Ive had lying around since christmas :)[/quote]

The books in themselves don't take a too serious appraoch (lots of bad jokes in them lol), so the "for dummies" is just a series name, and thus every bassist should have one to hand.
Not only as a quick reference but also a huge tome of knowledge to help a student should you go into teaching.