Why become a member? ×

5 String advice Please...

Boy Thunder

Now... how about this...?

It was suggested to be that instead of going for a 5 string beasty I try re-tuning to the first 5 on a 4 string... if you follow.

Now initially I thought that might be a good way of seeing if the lower scales are necessary but then it occured to me that the B string on a 5 is thicker!!

So... is it worth doing as a trial or will I miss the whole point....?

I think that just answered my question though eh!

Just bought my first fiver - Lakky DJ5. Jury's still out after 26 years on 4's but it's so damn pretty I've got to give it a go. Know what you mean about the left hand-right hand thing. I'm ok until I start to think about it :) Great for Lizzy stuff with the eflat thing - unfortunately don't think I will be able to convince the guit**ist to detune!

Edited by martthebass

I have a Yamaha BB605 active for sale at the mo. gloss black. plays lovely & sounds very powerful & punchy. It has a spare new set of strings & a padded gig bag.

Reason i'm selling is; I have four basses & not much room, two are sentimental (pressents) & one is fretless so the yammy needs to find a new home.

Have no pics at the mo, but, if you go to 'basses for sale' section & search BB605 you'll see a natural one to give you an idea.

The BB615 replaced the 605 but some people said the BB605 was better, I dont know having not played a BB615. But the 605 is very good.

Will sell for £200 inc. P+P, pm me if your interested.

[quote name='martthebass' post='102413' date='Dec 10 2007, 09:50 PM']Just bought my first fiver - Lakky DJ5. Jury's still out after 26 years on 4's but it's so damn pretty I've got to give it a go. Know what you mean about the left hand-right hand thing. I'm ok until I start to think about it[/quote]
Stick with it. It will be worth it. I was playing a 4 string for longer and had a lot of trouble adapting but now I wouldn't go back if you paid me!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='101405' date='Dec 8 2007, 04:14 PM']Don't forget the original SGC Nanyo Bass Collections from the late-80's / early-90's.

The SB325 remains a seriously good active 5-string, high-quality components, well made, and they sell for silly (i.e. cheap) money on eBay when they turn up.

Bass Collections are also lighter than Fenders and their clones. An SB325 weighs slightly less than most 4-string Fenders.[/quote]

+1 for the (first run of) Bass Collections, i had two 5 strings, 355 Model i think (it was active with soapbars) fantastic basses, you should be able to find them now second hand easily for £200! I don't know what the new versions of the brand are like so can't comment on those!

With regards to restringing a 4 string BEAD, you've simply got to ask what you're going to be using the tool for, if you need a low B and a 4th octave high E, then it's obviously useless. But if you're doing riffing down low, then yeah cool!.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='102498' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:12 AM']With regards to restringing a 4 string BEAD, you've simply got to ask what you're going to be using the tool for, if you need a low B and a 4th octave high E, then it's obviously useless. But if you're doing riffing down low, then yeah cool!.

Si[/quote]

But you'd have to widen the nuts slots, wouldn't you? Which means a new nut if you want to change back.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='103923' date='Dec 13 2007, 03:38 PM']But you'd have to widen the nuts slots, wouldn't you? Which means a new nut if you want to change back.[/quote]

I recently strung my 5'er EADGC, using the original nut. It worked fine, the string tension holds the string near enough in place, and actually helped with lower note bending.

[quote name='Sibob' post='102498' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:12 AM']+1 for the (first run of) Bass Collections, i had two 5 strings, 355 Model i think (it was active with soapbars) fantastic basses, you should be able to find them now second hand easily for £200!
Si[/quote]

That's the SB325 you're thinking of. Seriously nice bass. Usually go for £250 or less when they come up on eBay, which is unbelievable VFM.

If you go after one, make sure it's an original SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, Made in Japan, preferably 1995 or earlier. Everything except the date is clearly shown on the battery-cover backplate.