Why become a member? ×

Sub-forums for For Sale section

Clarky

Maybe not feasible but I think it would be helpful to buyers and sellers if there were specific sub-forums

So for "Basses for sale", there could be: 4 string; 5 string; acoustic/other
For "Amps & Cabs", there would be: amps; cabs; combos; rigs

and so on

Would really help in searching for specific bits of kit - lets say I wanted to find a 5-string Fender Deluxe Jazz, for example, the search string would currently pull up dozens of items containing Fender and Jazz and it would take a fair while to sift through to find if anything actually fitted the bill - if there was a 5-string sub-forum this could be done very quickly to the benfit of both buyer and seller

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='872852' date='Jun 20 2010, 06:39 PM']Maybe not feasible but I think it would be helpful to buyers and sellers if there were specific sub-forums

and so on

Would really help in searching for specific bits of kit - lets say I wanted to find a 5-string Fender Deluxe Jazz, for example, the search string would currently pull up dozens of items containing Fender and Jazz and it would take a fair while to sift through to find if anything actually fitted the bill - if there was a 5-string sub-forum this could be done very quickly to the benfit of both buyer and seller[/quote]
Where's the fun in that. No getting sidetracked when something else catches your eye as you search.... oh, wait I see a fatal flaw in that argument :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='872852' date='Jun 20 2010, 06:39 PM']Maybe not feasible but I think it would be helpful to buyers and sellers if there were specific sub-forums

and so on

Would really help in searching for specific bits of kit - lets say I wanted to find a 5-string Fender Deluxe Jazz, for example, the search string would currently pull up dozens of items containing Fender and Jazz and it would take a fair while to sift through to find if anything actually fitted the bill - if there was a 5-string sub-forum this could be done very quickly to the benfit of both buyer and seller[/quote]

You will never want a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5-string. You need two words mate, one begins with 'F' and the other with 'P':)

[quote name='Beedster' post='873092' date='Jun 20 2010, 10:47 PM']You will never want a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5-string. You need two words mate, one begins with 'F' and the other with 'P':)[/quote]
Purely hypothetical mate!

The problem with making many subforums is that it results in the defragmentation of communication. Whilst to a regular member it might be quite an attractive proposition, however to a new member it could be either confusing or overly complicated. Plus some of these new sections might not be popular at at all (ERB's for example). Which discourages people on repeat visits, the classifieds sections are successful because they have many new threads in a day. I do not think adding more subforums is the answer.

However if anything i think the search function should be improved either to be modified to allow less then three character searches, or maybe when starting a new thread members could have an icon selection which could have terms such as "5 string" etc. Which can be filtered by clicking a link at the top of the page.

Much like this.

(Yeah i subscribe to interesting sites)

Click on a subject such as "Unfunny" and it leaves just those posts.

So we could have icons such as "5 String" "4 String" "Vintage" "Extended Range" "Weird" etc etc.... It could be entirely possible to use more then one icon in a thread to further help your search.

This option would however be entirely dependent on the current forum technology we use. It might not be implementable.

Just a thought!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='873206' date='Jun 21 2010, 04:24 AM']The problem with making many subforums is that it results in the defragmentation of communication. Whilst to a regular member it might be quite an attractive proposition, however to a new member it could be either confusing or overly complicated. Plus some of these new sections might not be popular at at all (ERB's for example). Which discourages people on repeat visits, the classifieds sections are successful because they have many new threads in a day. I do not think adding more subforums is the answer.

However if anything i think the search function should be improved either to be modified to allow less then three character searches, or maybe when starting a new thread members could have an icon selection which could have terms such as "5 string" etc. Which can be filtered by clicking a link at the top of the page.

Much like this.

So we could have icons such as "5 String" "4 String" "Vintage" "Extended Range" "Weird" etc etc.... It could be entirely possible to use more then one icon in a thread to further help your search.

This option would however be entirely dependent on the current forum technology we use. It might not be implementable.

Just a thought![/quote]

Similar to the way ebay does it? Being able to use multiple filters in one go?

Edited by CraigPlaysBass

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='873356' date='Jun 21 2010, 11:56 AM']Similar to the way ebay does it? Being able to use multiple filters in one go?[/quote]

Sort of! Its up to the seller to include the tags, but it does help them in the long run.

[quote name='CraigPlaysBass' post='873764' date='Jun 21 2010, 06:08 PM']Well it sounds pretty good to me :)[/quote]
You don't happen to have a
[size=7][u]Ibanez SRX08 Special Limited Edition (Japan Black) FOR SALE/TRADE[/u][/size]
by any chance do you Craig? :rolleyes:

Edited by tombboy

and so on

Use google as a search engine rather than the one built-in to the basschat site - just add site:basschat.co.uk to the search .

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Shockwave' post='873206' date='Jun 21 2010, 04:24 AM']The problem with making many subforums is that it results in the defragmentation of communication. Whilst to a regular member it might be quite an attractive proposition, however to a new member it could be either confusing or overly complicated. Plus some of these new sections might not be popular at at all (ERB's for example). Which discourages people on repeat visits, the classifieds sections are successful because they have many new threads in a day. I do not think adding more subforums is the answer.

Much like this.

Just a thought![/quote]

Nice idea. I think either way though i think you ought to make some sort of Double bass/EUB for sale forum/division since the gear subforum seems to be full of double basses for sale which seems slightly silly when there is a big for sale section lolz.

Edited by EdwardHimself