Why become a member? ×

Opinions on what jazz bass I should get.

Prime_BASS

Although (if all goes well) I'll be getting 32" scale mij fender jazz, that has some 60s influence but not a reissue?????

Anyway as Ive got a new contract for work coming up soon, and I'm taking time off my current job (payed holidays whoop!!) so I'll be in the monies.

I'll be looking to either start a new project bass or buy another jazz bass, and looking through fenders catalogue the honey blonde coloured highway one bass cuaght my eye.

I'll end doing upgrades to it anyway and as it comes with a badass 2 bridge as standard that's one thing I don't have to buy.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about it?

One thing that puts me off is no maple finger board option.

If anyone could suggest a vintage-esque guitar (not necerssarily a fender) in the price range of between £600 and £800, I would be greatful

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='872485' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:13 AM']Although (if all goes well) I'll be getting 32" scale mij fender jazz, that has some 60s influence but not a reissue?????

Anyway as Ive got a new contract for work coming up soon, and I'm taking time off my current job (payed holidays whoop!!) so I'll be in the monies.

I'll be looking to either start a new project bass or buy another jazz bass, and looking through fenders catalogue the honey blonde coloured highway one bass cuaght my eye.

I'll end doing upgrades to it anyway and as it comes with a badass 2 bridge as standard that's one thing I don't have to buy.

If anyone could suggest a vintage-esque guitar (not necerssarily a fender) in the price range of between £600 and £800, I would be greatful[/quote]

Definitely the new American Series Jazz. The upgrades far out weigh the other options in that price bracket...eg you won't need to upgrade any of it. Standard colours are around £830 including the best hardcase I've ever owned.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='872485' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:13 AM']Although (if all goes well) I'll be getting 32" scale mij fender jazz, that has some 60s influence but not a reissue?????

If anyone could suggest a vintage-esque guitar (not necerssarily a fender) in the price range of between £600 and £800, I would be greatful[/quote]

A used american vintage 62 reissue is worth considering, though they are onuy available with a rosewood board. I purchased a new american standard but was disappointed with the quality of the fretwork as the frets protruded over the edge of the neck cathing the side of my fingers as I moved up and down the neck. Fender really need to get their quality control sorted out

[quote name='Musicman20' post='872490' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:16 AM']Definitely the new American Series Jazz. The upgrades far out weigh the other options in that price bracket...eg you won't need to upgrade any of it. Standard colours are around £830 including the best hardcase I've ever owned.[/quote]

new as in 2010?

I'm not too keen on the 70's kinda sound, myself so other than the highway one I was looking at the '62 RI and the 60s jazz.

I'm going to try some in my local music shop, it'll be interesting to see how the pickups compare to the fender CS ones I have in my DIY Jazz.

I'm sure I'm gassing for an EBMM ray, and could get one used for 800, or a bit more, buttgeonly ones that tickle me are the pre EB ones and the newer classic series ( classics purely on design ) although that big al bass seems interesting aswell.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='873199' date='Jun 21 2010, 01:50 AM']new as in 2010?

I'm not too keen on the 70's kinda sound, myself so other than the highway one I was looking at the '62 RI and the 60s jazz.

I'm going to try some in my local music shop, it'll be interesting to see how the pickups compare to the fender CS ones I have in my DIY Jazz.

I'm sure I'm gassing for an EBMM ray, and could get one used for 800, or a bit more, buttgeonly ones that tickle me are the pre EB ones and the newer classic series ( classics purely on design ) although that big al bass seems interesting aswell.[/quote]

Don't worry the American Standards are the 60s pickup location. They reverted back to this after the 70s I do believe. Believe me you can get a nice warm tone and the classic growl from a 2008-2010 American Standard.

Rays are always a good choice!

you should get yourself to a decent shop & play every jazz you can & then buy your favourite,which will most probably be a roadworn---these are awsome believe me,miles & miles better than the classic 60's.
i've owned many jazz's,including '62 & '75 reissues,& the roadworn just blows all of them out of the water (including the new american std imo)

If you can cope with the relic look, go for the Road Worn Jazz. It's a serious bass with 200% of the classic JB sound we all crave. Then again, you're almost in the proximity of an Iceni Funkmeister. Just got a fretless one with the aero pickups & it's a serious super jazz. While you're in the super jazz territory, you're in the price realm of used Sadowsky Metros. The world really is your oyster with that money in your pocket. :)

Agreed, Clarky - Hand pick a nice American Standard and you won't go far wrong. They're excellent basses all round.

Also, have a look at the 75RI models, whether used Japanese ones or new American. They seem to have the smoothest sounding pickups & 70's pickup spacing gives you that little extra bite.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='874120' date='Jun 22 2010, 08:47 AM']Also, have a look at the 75RI models, whether used Japanese ones or new American. They seem to have the smoothest sounding pickups & 70's pickup spacing gives you that little extra bite.[/quote]

The Japanese 75s don't have 70s pickup spacing - which actually makes them an option if you like the 70s look but less the tone.
As an aside I now have a Classic 70s and a maple/ash Jap 75, with an 80s Jap standard on the way. At some point I'll be swapping components around to see for myself what factors influence what aspects of the sounds of these instruments. I am starting to wonder if the fret size and profile is actually quite important to what I'm after sound-wise.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='874101' date='Jun 22 2010, 08:10 AM']Then again, you're almost in the proximity of an Iceni Funkmeister. Just got a fretless one with the aero pickups & it's a serious super jazz.[/quote]

I know that Mike Walsh has a few pre built bodies and necks "in stock" at the moment, and was offering some good deals on basses built using these stock parts. I'm not sure he has any Aero pickups at present though.

Cool pic of Sir Norman of Watt-Roy playing a Funky

However, I can only agree with the comments above - go out and play some!

Edited by RichardH

Looks like I should try the road worn?

Things like super jazzes don't really interest me, I just want a great sounding passive jazz. Maybe it's me being a snob but the sadowskys and laklands don't seem to tickle me very much as a fender does.

Also the money I would eventually end up with I could get a used ric. Although I'll be faced with the dilema of it fitting in with my band, a jazz seems perfect I know a ric would be different, but better? And like look demon in blue or black.

I'm also wondering on how much of an investment bass this purchase would be.

[quote name='yorick' post='874123' date='Jun 22 2010, 08:50 AM']Combine the best of both worlds and get a Sandberg JM. MM style pickup in the bridge, and a J where it should be. Well made and sound great.[/quote]

+1 re Sandberg Cali JM4 - this is what mine's like, follow link:
[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calj-series/caljmsupreme"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-ove...es/caljmsupreme[/url]

It's not just an MM pup at the bridge tho - it's even better; you can flick the switch and the MM humbucker flips to a 4 pole single coil pup, i.e. a J pup. Also you can go active or passive.

This is truly a far better Fender J than a Fender J....and I am not biassed, I am a Fender addict; but this Sandbdrg really is better than any Fender I've ever played, including pre CBS Ps and Js.

You have some serious GAS there! What you need is a passive ,active, jazz, musicman, warwick, alleva,kind of Ricky p bass !And a good investment too. Not sure if one exists although Im sure someone will come on and tell you that there whatever it is does all them sounds but better! (How can something do something better than the real thing?)I would extinguish that EBMM gas first with a nice used one, Plenty under £700 on here all the time which is a steal just ask all the EB owners and they will confirm that.Then put some serious homework in for you jazz as its easier to go wrong on the jazz than the MM as you will be unlucky to find a realy naff EBMM, Some are better than others but only a very little bit between them all where jazzes are a minefield as you can see from the first dozen replies.Both a good choice though so get spending!