Why become a member? ×

Tell me about LOOP station type pedals!

Dood

I'm a bit of a late bloomer with all things looping, but I feel a bit of a bug coming on!

So - for all you lovely people who use them and have experience of them: What's good, what's not and what are my options?

I may use my Line6 X3 and TC Electronic GMajor2 in tandem, MIDI'd up to my Roland controller - I'm assuming some loop pedals will allow me automation via MIDI too?

Josh has an RC50 & it's pretty cool - worth zapping him a note :)

Steve Lawson uses one of these now I think [url="http://www.looperlative.com/"]http://www.looperlative.com/[/url]

Maybe give him a shout as he's a real looping whizz & usually pretty chatty :rolleyes:

[url="http://www.looperlative.com/"]http://www.looperlative.com/[/url]

[quote name='dood' post='863898' date='Jun 11 2010, 12:23 AM']I'm watching the RC50 demo videos now :) Cheers Molan! Keep 'em coming! - I'll drop Josh and Steve a line too.[/quote]

Steve is well worth an evening of your time if he ever plays live anywhere near you.

Lovely guy & good teacher too.

Here's some vids:

Simple demo

At work :rolleyes:

With Lobelia

Hey guys! Wow! That's awesome! Great stuff so far - I'll be plugging in my earphones for a listen shortly. I'm feeling quite excited actually - as I keep thinking of reall cool songs to cover in a loop stylee!

[quote name='Finbar' post='863940' date='Jun 11 2010, 01:40 AM']The M9's looper works with MIDI controls too I think.[/quote]

+1 and I'd argue would replace the G Major :)

M13 of course

The RC-50's midi implementation is not great I'm told.

The daddy really is the Looperlative

If you can find one the EHX 2880 is fairly well regarded.

Thanks Ste! I'm still looking in to it - and haven't had a chance to digest the manuals of each of the units described already. I'm intrigued by the M9 - it's a shame they didn't implement the looper on the X3! (That I own already)

Use a jamman before, it's nice but these bigger twin pedals like the Boss RC-20xl are just record, playback, loop and then you can store it.

Where most of the fun is in the organicness of flipping the loop, reversing just a layer, taking things out, adding them back in.

Depends what you want, if you pay postage I'll lend you my smm/h for a bit, it's for sale anyway so I'm not using it.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='869182' date='Jun 16 2010, 03:59 PM']Use a jamman before, it's nice but these bigger twin pedals like the Boss RC-20xl are just record, playback, loop and then you can store it.

Where most of the fun is in the organicness of flipping the loop, reversing just a layer, taking things out, adding them back in.

Depends what you want, if you pay postage I'll lend you my smm/h for a bit, it's for sale anyway so I'm not using it.[/quote]

Hey Ste! That's very kind! - I'm just playing with a piece of software at the moment called Ambiloop. A PC multitrack looper that I should be able to control with my MIDI foot controller. It works really well with my Line 6 GX already - so I'll have a bit of a play on that to see what functions I feel I will need in a pedal then hopefully start getting some of these crazy ideas I have together!

Latest update: I've been messing around with Ambiloop all day and I have to say, I am really impressed. I still haven't MIDI'd it up yet - but being able to record 8 seperate stereo 'overdubbable' loops in real time is just great - Had lots of fun - and certainly for now will keep me going till I chose a hardware alternative.

[url="http://www.ambiloop.com/"]http://www.ambiloop.com/[/url]

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='872370' date='Jun 20 2010, 02:41 AM']Reading that, (apart from the fact my looper is no sold so can't lend it you) if you like that functionality then you need the Looperlative or use the laptop live at your peril[/quote]

Ste, good point well made - I should have said really - I'm using the software version, because it is free and when I am happy with what functionality I need, I'll see which hardware version will be right for me. - My laptop crashed twice last night - I couldn't trust in on stage lol!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='872377' date='Jun 20 2010, 03:29 AM']Looping live with a band is a nightmare unless you can lock the drummer into a MIDI click. Consider yourself duly warned.[/quote]

I'll be 'going solo' with the loops - though I am sure that if I used it in a band situation, we have the technology to lock to click etc. - I've found that so far I have used a click for all my loops I have created.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='872378' date='Jun 20 2010, 03:38 AM']But this is Dood, the normal laws of bassing don't apply[/quote]

If I wasn't so modest, I would put that in the quotes section. Thanks man :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='872379' date='Jun 20 2010, 04:22 AM']Doh. Good point, well presented. I hope the same applies to his drummer too then we can all form an orderly queue.[/quote]

Have ya seen Thomas? lol! He's like a crazy cyborg drumming octopus whose inner clock is atomic powered!

Dood,

Digitech have just updated the range - the new stereo looper and the one with the built in delays look really good... worth checking out.

I wouldn't swap the looperlative for anything, but there are certainly stepping stones on the way there, and Digitech seem to be doing good things these days...

There is a looperlative foot pedal version coming at some point, which I'm sure will be worth investigating... not sure on the ETA though.

Steve

[quote name='Steve Lawson' post='876065' date='Jun 24 2010, 02:47 AM']Dood,

Digitech have just updated the range - the new stereo looper and the one with the built in delays look really good... worth checking out.

I wouldn't swap the looperlative for anything, but there are certainly stepping stones on the way there, and Digitech seem to be doing good things these days...

There is a looperlative foot pedal version coming at some point, which I'm sure will be worth investigating... not sure on the ETA though.

Steve[/quote]

Hey Steve! Great to hear from you! - How's things? I hope life is treating ya well!

- Thanks so much, I'd spotted the Stereo JamMan a few days ago - I'm really interested in that one as I have been creating all my AmbiLoops in stereo. I just like the idea of being able to have the benefit of a stereo sound field to record in to. Especially if I'm playing acoustic guitar type parts on my 6er with reverb and chorus, then a flat bass line in the centre of the mix. It just sounds a bit more..well.. believable. - I've been messing around with various songs and I think I may be on to something quite cool! Completely different to your own particular style Steve, and nothing like the kinda thing you usually find at guitar shows. Not exactly reinventing the wheel or anything lol, but with a bit of work (and the loan of a vidcam) I expect I will get my efforts up online for everyone to have a gander at. Hmmmm... annoying self-satisfying 15 min shred fest will be tucked away at the bottom of the heap - but hey.. why not!

The looperlative looks great.. really great. At the moment I am wondering how much I will miss if I don't have all the functions of AmbiLoop. They are there, so I will use them - but the looperlative certainly trumps all other hardware loopers at the moment!

I like that I can do a 1 or 2 bar loop on track one and 4 bar loop on track 3 and a 16 bar loop on say track 8. It means I can write a drum loop, a guitar part, then a whole walking bassline to solo over. Is this something looperlative can handle?

Cheers,

Dan

if you can get hold of an electrix repeater, iv heard they are kingdingaling. i saw battles last year, and the bass player was using one i think. recorded himself in, then was hitting buttons on it and changing the loop length to make some really glitched up dirty basslines. you can hear it on their seminal song atlas, heres a link to some blurb about the repeater

[url="http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/repeater/repeater.html"]Elecrix repeater[/url]

they go on ebay occasionally, id really frickin like one :S

Thanks guys! Awesome! - At the moment I am eyeing up the Stereo JamMan by Digitech. I'm thinking that it might fit in to what I need - but I am still very much looking in to it! The Looperlative looks reeeeally good - but it's a case of balancing budget vs need. As Steve Lawson has suggested - I think I may use the Digitech as a stepping stone up to the Looperlative.

Watch this space! - I have soooo many loops recorded on my laptop now - really enjoying the freedom it is allowing me! I WILL get a load of stuff on YouTube soon - Just need to sort out a camera!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

I'm a bit confused! I have a question to fire at any loop pedal users. Some of the tracks I have written with a software looper have been created with say, a single bar of drum loop, then on the next phrase 'channel' I have recorded say 8 bars of bass line then on another a four bar chord change turnaround. In all the videos I have been watching on YouTube of all the pedals I am interested in - I can't seem to see that this is possible? - It appears that everyone, in their demos have gone for a 2 or 4 bar repeat and not really broken out of that on each loop. Which, although great - would be really limiting for me.

Any ideas?? - I really wanna try one! Just don't know which to go for!!