Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an amp for DB

obbm

Just started playing in Jug band with 5 others - accoustic guitars, mandolin, banjo, ukeleles, violin. There is minimal PA support for the vocals and instruments but the bass needs a touch of amplification. For the first gig last Saturday I used my MB F1 and Epi UL112 but it was really a bit OTT and bulky. A combo would be ideal as it is faster to rig and derig.

Can anyone suggest something lighter, more compact and better suited to a DB. I have plenty of kit if I want loud.

That's a great set-up you have already Dave. I use an F500 with a UL112 for most things, then add another if necessary. Tried using a GK MB150S combo, but kept missing that full low-end feeling that is seemingly only obtainable with a bigger box. OTOH, I have heard great things about the Markbass combos for DB. Another option is a tilt-back cab/monitor - I need those high frequencies aimed at my head or else it's a shot in the dark with tuning. Sorry that's not more specific gear wise.

I'll second the AI amps. One person described mine as a sensible bass amp. They have a down firing 10" which uses the stage to spread the sound which can be quite big for the size of amp. For bigger gigs I plug in a Markbass 15" cab which can just make the sound enormous. The sound from that rig is so much better than my old Ashdown.

Minimark. Loud enough to compete even with louder drummer, and just as portable as the Phil Jones. No battery option, but you can plug in an extension cab if you ever need even more whoooms (when i combine mine with my Dr. Bass 1580 it's a monster sound). Really great as it's so small, so light, and yet so loud. The 6'' speakers are great for DB, and the sound is very clear (almost too clear sometimes, like a monitor). But then the box sounds kinda sounds doublebassish, as if you could feel the plywood. The line out xlr is great as you go PA. Doesnt bang on your knees as you carry double bass and amp on one go no problem. Well and then probably that Fishman Platinum Pro preamp as well depending on what pickup you use.

You could just buy a really light 10" cab to go with your F1. THe GK extension cab or one of the Barefaced 10s would do nicely. Over on the Talkbass DB forum there's a lot of love for the EA Wizzy cab, but they're a bit pricey.

If you really think you need it, and if the others will o.k. it, then the smallest, LEAST VISIBLE, and probably the cheapest answer is the Roland Microcube. It uses batteries, which may suit the type of gig you`re playing, and will push out enough sound in that kind of setting for you to hear yourself.....which I think may be at least part of the problem. I often play DB in a folkish setting sometimes involving quite a few musicians (10 or more) and they can always hear me.....although I can`t always hear myself as much as I LIKE, which is why I bought the Roland! You may find some on the front line in that kind of setting who object to amplification, by the way, and they may not even notice the Roland stuck quietly away under a chair. Just don`t talk about it!

[quote name='saxobass' post='865485' date='Jun 12 2010, 07:59 PM']If you really think you need it, and if the others will o.k. it, then the smallest, LEAST VISIBLE, and probably the cheapest answer is the Roland Microcube. It uses batteries, which may suit the type of gig you`re playing, and will push out enough sound in that kind of setting for you to hear yourself.....which I think may be at least part of the problem. I often play DB in a folkish setting sometimes involving quite a few musicians (10 or more) and they can always hear me.....although I can`t always hear myself as much as I LIKE, which is why I bought the Roland! You may find some on the front line in that kind of setting who object to amplification, by the way, and they may not even notice the Roland stuck quietly away under a chair. Just don`t talk about it![/quote]

Thanks for that. I think you've hit the nail on the preverbial head. My hearing is pretty bad these days. I like the accoustic band because I can play with my hearing aids in rather than the electric band where I have to still wear ear-plugs. My low end sensitivity ids pretty dire but IEMs is not the answer. I was totally unamplified at the weekly accoustic jam last week and the others said how good is was to have the bass there so they were obviously hearing it, even if it wasn't loud enough for me. I will give it a shot.

I have also been considering a PJB B100 Cub. Walbassist has one and is going to let me have a go sometime.

[quote name='obbm' post='865491' date='Jun 12 2010, 08:10 PM']I have also been considering a PJB B100 Cub. Walbassist has one and is going to let me have a go sometime.[/quote]

Like i said, i wholeheartedly recommend the pjb - but... the cub doesn't have the low end extension of the briefcase so do try and hear the two together if you can.