Why become a member? ×

215 or Ampeg 610?

Count Bassie

Just a light survey here. I have a Peavey 215D that I'm going to put new speakers into... but I've run into an Ampeg 610 and wonder what you guys think of 'em. I'll end up keeping just one, and am intrigued with the 610 and what I've "heard" about it. I'm thinking about tighter focus with depth, and abitlity to get some 'growl' from it, on a bigger stage.

Opine, anyone?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='859807' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:09 AM']Both: Doom

What speakers have you got lined up for the peavey? I think you Ampeg will have a far better resale, but it might not agree with valve amps so well if the speakers are 8 ohm each, you end up with a funny total.[/quote]

I'm looking at a pair of Eminence 'Betas' for the Peavey 215D. The head I'm using is a Trace Elliot AH250SMX, with a Trace MK IV as backup, so it's SS for the power sections. If I had tubes I'd just be saving up for a Berg NV 610! Sealed cabs and tubes... that's the ticket right there.

Anyway I'm leaning toward the Ampeg, as I'm believing that 10s would tend to greater dispersion and clarity. The 'peg will be a degree more portable though, I figure. The Peavey is a pig to move.

Ears are open...

As a rule swapping out speakers is not an easy thing to get right..so unless they are exact like for like, then that is more trouble that it can be worth.

I'd take 10's over 15's any day but would have to look at the cab in question for find what watage the cab could handle. Ampeg 10's USED to be very poor in terms of output..so you could be looking at a heavy lump of a cab putting out 4-500 watts.

I think it's a good deal heftier than that for output. Also I don't mind too much, as I'm not using a very high-powered head anyway. I'm after a quality of sound more than sheer power.

I think one of the things that made the Ampeg 'fridge work was the comparatively low output of those 10s it used. The overall effect was very happening. And the SVT head, although we're talking 'tube-watts', was only 300 "actual watts" (another discussion I guess!)- light-duty by present standards.

Okay, I'm derailing my own thread now...

I've used the 6x10 a couple of times and I love it. I prefer the 6x10 to both the Ampeg 4x10hlf and the 8x10 fridge. Just a great cabinet capable of soom very low frequencies but still cuts through quite nicely.

Obviously its best to try them both out to see which one you prefer with the Trace Elliot head. Personally I would be tempted to put a new set of speakers in the Peavey cab, but that is because I like the idea of a really loud 2x15 for huge deep bass.

I'm not sure the Ampeg would be much more portable though, as from my experience both the 4x10 and the 6x10 are bloody heavy and a pain to move, even considering the casters that are on them.

Anyway, I don't think you'd regret getting the ampeg though.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='859826' date='Jun 7 2010, 01:21 PM']Anyway I'm leaning toward the Ampeg, as I'm believing that 10s would tend to greater dispersion and clarity. The 'peg will be a degree more portable though, I figure. The Peavey is a pig to move.

Ears are open...[/quote]

Is the 2x15 sealed or ported?

The 10s only have better dispersion if they aren't next to each other.

With dimensions and porting info on the peavy, tried modelling neo 15s in there? Would sort the portability.

I think you'll find that it will never be worth the time and effort involved in selling the Peavey, ie it's more cab than people value it at and you won't get anything near as good for the money you'll free up.

That being said I'd expect the Ampeg to be the better cab and worth keeping over the Peavey but if space is not an issue and you aren't struggling for £200 and a few months bumping it up on the forum I'd keep both.

They have to sound fun together :)

Had to add to this.
Just paired my Ampeg 610HLF with my Trace Elliot 1524 (2x15)-all powered via my Ampeg SVT 4 PRO (dual mono mode).
Result:
Insanity!!!

Have not heard anything like that before! So much bass it made the windows shake violently.seriously, and that was only at about 9 o clock volume AND gain!

If I was ever to play a huge stadium-that would be up there with my VBA400 full stack-tough choice!!!

If its a choice of one, go with the SVT610HLF-resale on these is great and they are by far some of the best cabs on the market.
And they seriously contend with the 8x10´s!

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='859826' date='Jun 7 2010, 01:21 PM']I'm looking at a pair of Eminence 'Betas' for the Peavey 215D.[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend them, personally. Spend a bit more and get Delta 15LFs - way better bass response, and a more even tone across the board. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, then fit a couple of 3015 Kappalites - that'll get rid of a big chunk of weight too.

A

Well this has turned out to be a fun thread! Lots of different answers... So far it appears I'm keeping the Peavey, and going with an original plan of trading an AMP BH-420 for a Trace head (Series-6 AH 350). I'll be off to download WinISD to model some drivers, we'll see how cheap I can get out of this.

All remarks taken with credence and grains of salt! Thanks much, all! I'll update when the final resutls are in.

Personally, I think the 6x10" format is the best all-round for every bassist - any other configuration is a matter of personal taste. 6x10" seems to have the right mix of punch and power, and my Mesa 6x10" is simply spectacular.

15" speakers are a naturally "scoopy" sound so if you like mids then 10's are the way to go. Also 10"s are better for smaller stages as their tone develops closer to the cab than 15"s. Additionally, the Ampeg 6x10" is widely regarded as the "best" Ampeg cab, the 810E gets all the kudos but the 6x10" being ported with horn is a completely different beast, goes lower and has that ported woomph. They hold value well, and are relatively easy to transport. I'd pounce on the 6x10", if it isn't too late.

Well here's the rub on the whole deal: I was trying to trade my AMP BH-420 for a Trace Elliot Series-6 AH350. Deal ended up not going down... Meanwhile I had flirted with the 610, but the kid who has it wants my AMP BH-20 in trade. Now, I have 2 other heads, both Trace. One is the venerable 250SMX, the other is the slightly less venerable GP-11 MK IV, also an AH250. The MK IV is in need of servicing, but it works (UV light makes it noisy).

I already have the Peavey, but have thought seriously about the Ampeg 610 since it came into the crosshairs. That's it. I'm not sure it's worth giving up the BH-420 for, when I hae a nice cab that just needs to be loaded with better speakers (Scorpions in there now, not going to work for me).

I'd still like to find a Series-6 head to swap with an AMP enthusiast. But that's another thread... anyway that's the whole story now.

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='862804' date='Jun 10 2010, 12:31 AM']Well here's the rub on the whole deal: I was trying to trade my AMP BH-420 for a Trace Elliot Series-6 AH350. Deal ended up not going down... Meanwhile I had flirted with the 610, but the kid who has it wants my AMP BH-20 in trade. Now, I have 2 other heads, both Trace. One is the venerable 250SMX, the other is the slightly less venerable GP-11 MK IV, also an AH250. The MK IV is in need of servicing, but it works (UV light makes it noisy).

I already have the Peavey, but have thought seriously about the Ampeg 610 since it came into the crosshairs. That's it. I'm not sure it's worth giving up the BH-420 for, when I hae a nice cab that just needs to be loaded with better speakers (Scorpions in there now, not going to work for me).

I'd still like to find a Series-6 head to swap with an AMP enthusiast. But that's another thread... anyway that's the whole story now.[/quote]

Surely the AMP is the better head with basically being a Thunderfunk

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='863453' date='Jun 10 2010, 11:36 AM']Surely the AMP is the better head with basically being a Thunderfunk[/quote]

Dunno. The Trace head just does something in the way of balance (or something) to the sound that I like. It's punchy, contained but pretty powerful- just sits in the mix in a pleasant way.

Our story so far:

My venerable and trusty AMP BH-420 is up for sale (overseas shipping'll be killer, so I haven't listed it here- I will if there's interest), and I'm sticking with Trace Elliot. I'm a TE poster-child, fine. The Peavey 215D is here holding down the concrete slab in the basement, loaded with Scorpions (guitar speakers, ok for now); the Ampeg 610 deal never even got spoken about with the guy- he never really got into it with me. What? I know... So all that was for yaks and nothing more I guess. Sorry.

BUT, I have a shot now at an Ampeg 410 HLN. Any opinions on this one? I will go back and review this thread, and do some searching around, but any new ideas? I already have the Peavey (got it for $50 US!) so that's done. I'd be in a press to get this Ampeg 410 HLN, but I [i]can[/i] do it. I like the smallness of it, and the idea of nice present 'lows'. But I already have:

2x Bag End S15-Ds
Peavey 215D
... for cabs. I've got 2 Trace AH250 heads, and a Peavey TNT100 combo at the rehearsal space. Dunno if the 410 is necessary, unless it offers so much different an experience than the Baggies- for less grunt-factor than the giant Peavey cab!

Discuss?... thanks for your thoughts on it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='859807' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:09 AM']Both: Doom

What speakers have you got lined up for the peavey? I think you Ampeg will have a far better resale, but it might not agree with valve amps so well if the speakers are 8 ohm each, you end up with a funny total.[/quote]

Hey- this was a good question. Sorry to pass it by. I think it was just trickily-wired in some kind of series/parallel trip though. Maybe they mix ohmages and wire 2) 4 ohm drivers to make 16, and then combine that with... um, something. :)

Good question. But for my part, I'm on to the 410! :rolleyes: