Why become a member? ×

Robert 'Pops' Popwell in the 80s with Olivia Newton John

Hutton

I generally don't have a lot of time for 80s stuff. However, came across this rather nice example of Robert 'Pops' Popwell rendering a stunning bassline on 'Physical' from 1982. Who says you can't slap on a P bass! If you don't want to listen to the whole thing then the slapfest is at 4:30. Also, if you don't do anything else it is always pleasant to scan the young Australian miss in her wee white shorts. Apologies if this has ben done before.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAoDJcFU6iY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAoDJcFU6iY[/url]

[quote name='witterth' post='859199' date='Jun 6 2010, 07:43 PM']Bass playing wasnt though steve.[/quote]

+ many. This was a thread topic over on Talkbass sometime back and I remember thinking how awesome he was on that video despite the actual song, great tone too.

Always a P-Bass type of player was Popwell from my knowledge but his standard trusty P-Bass had a bridge humbucker as well if I recall..

He always had a great slap groove as well..

Try 'Feeling funky' on the Southern Nights album.. I think..that is typical Pops nailing it, IMO

I saw The Crusaders at Hammy Odeon around 1977 and 'Pops' blew me away then.
Great gig, although it was Billy Rogers on guitar as opposed to Larry Carlton. (Not that there was anything wrong with Billy Rogers! :))
That slap solo is real nice, but I absolutely loved the bass run at 1:23...

[quote name='chris_b' post='859487' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:21 AM']I saw the Crusaders at the Victoria Theatre in 1976 with Pops Popwell. One of the best bass gigs I've ever seen.[/quote]
I used to love the Victoria Theatre (assuming you mean the one opposite Victoria Station! :)).
I saw Jack Bruce & Friends there (with Billy Cobham, David Sancious, Clem Clempson), also Al Jarreau (with the brill Abe Laboriel), Randy California (ex-Spirit) and a bunch of others.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='859476' date='Jun 7 2010, 01:26 AM']I saw The Crusaders at Hammy Odeon around 1977 and 'Pops' blew me away then.
Great gig, although it was Billy Rogers on guitar as opposed to Larry Carlton. (Not that there was anything wrong with Billy Rogers! :))
That slap solo is real nice, but I absolutely loved the bass run at 1:23...[/quote]
I saw that show, I think. It was around the time of Streetlife as Randy Crawford supported and sang with them on that track.
Joe Sample was the DB's..

[quote name='Stingray5' post='859491' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:43 AM']....I used to love the Victoria Theatre (assuming you mean the one opposite Victoria Station....[/quote]
Yes, that's the one. Robert Popwell played out of his skin that night. Everything he played sounded up, lively and happy. He upstaged the rest of the band with his presence that night.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='859154' date='Jun 6 2010, 06:00 PM']That was truly awful.[/quote]

But it [i]was[/i] educational: I learnt where all those drunk embarrassing uncles at weddings picked up their dance moves...