Why become a member? ×

Hohner B2A Black and White

jamnut

Hi all, new here so sorry if this is the wrong place to put this.

Recently aquired the topic title for £175 second hand. Really like the look, the ease of movement and how it plays. And the person I bought it off said the black and white colour was very rare (there's a diagonal line separating the colours). Just wondering how these basses are rated and whether it was a snap and that it actually was rare.

HI there and welcome aboard.

I havent heard of a blk/white split so rare definately. Original? not so sure, you would have to checkwith Hohner to ask if it wsas supplied like that or its a re-fin.

Price-wise thats an OK price, not an absolute 'yippee bargain' moment tho...... £100 or less would've been. If its mint or v.good+ then you have a very lite, very playable little bass.

I had a passive B2b for while and enjoyed owning it but not playing it..... I couldnt get on with the neck, but I do have large hands.

Quite a few on here have/have had them and whilst they are a substitute for the original (carbon fibre and very expensive) Steinberger XL, they make a good go of it but sadly are not in the same league as teh original.

If you accept it for what it is, a cheap and cheerful copy of an ogininal design and it plays well and fits your criteria for buying it then, then it will serve you well.

Welcome aboard boss. I used to have a White b2 which came in a flightcase bigger than me which i still find amusing! I loved the sound but could never get on with the absence of headstock. That said I'd love another but only in White. Now you mention it I think I do recall seeing a picture of a black n White horizontal split one somewhere back in the day. Nice find, enjoy it.

Cheers guys, I was after a cheap and cheerful post-beginner bass and think I've got it spot on tbh. Unfortunately all I had prior to this was an Encore (from the starter set) and stuck with that for about 5/6 years lol. And if anyone's had experiences with Encores, they would find that they are incredibly bulky and have a headstock the size of a shoe, so having something I can carry around easily sans-bag and not worry about breaking nearby buildings if I accidentally knock it into one is a plus point :rolleyes:

Btw, I haven't actually got it yet (waiting 'til payday :)) but from what I've read and when I had a session on it I was pretty confident that it was a decent buy.

Yep that's the one HD. Not sure if it's a legit one if you get what I mean? As in Squier to Fender. I remember it saying Steinberger on it, but I'm not sure if that's the top grade one? Sorry for the dub questions :)

Im not sure what you mean by lower end one.The Hohner is a licenced copy of the Steinberger.The Quality of the Hohners imo,are really good.I know that they came with different pickup configurations,and came in active or passive types.The only ones that i have tried are ones with the EMG active pickups (same size as a guitar humbucker) Mine was my main gigging bass at the time,good sound and tone.
I believe that there is a Steinberger Spirit model available now that is a licenced copy,i've seen a few,and the quality did'nt look as good as the Hohner to me.I will get another one someday.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='860028' date='Jun 7 2010, 04:06 PM']Im not sure what you mean by lower end one.The Hohner is a licenced copy of the Steinberger.The Quality of the Hohners imo,are really good.I know that they came with different pickup configurations,and came in active or passive types.The only ones that i have tried are ones with the EMG active pickups (same size as a guitar humbucker) Mine was my main gigging bass at the time,good sound and tone.
I believe that there is a Steinberger Spirit model available now that is a licenced copy,i've seen a few,and the quality did'nt look as good as the Hohner to me.I will get another one someday.[/quote]

+1 to the above.
The Hohner is a cracking little bass, a lot better than the Spirit models IMO,which I think are only available as a passive design.

I had one of these in the distant past and I really liked it.

I was a bit put off by the pickups as, being used to a P-pickup, I had nowhere to put my thumb! I cut the side of a thick plastic bottle and stuck that on as a ramp. This was before anyone used the term "ramp"!!

I've got a diagonal black/white B2A, bought it new in 1985. These were the very first Hohner Steiny copies, there were 3 colour schemes - black, red & diagonal black/white, and I think these were only around for the first run of the basses, consequently they are pretty scarce. If it's like mine, it won't say Licensed By Steinberger on the bridge, mine has a plain top plate, but the Steinberger branding appears under the Hohner Professional logo on the body.

These are very good quality instruments, made by Cort in Korea, as were all of the 80s Hohner Pro range as far as I know, construction is neck-through & the pickups are licensed EMGs. Mine's the active version, with the boost selected by a 2-way micro switch on the front. On the whole the preamp on the early version really only seems to give an overall volume/treble/bass boost, and the only adjustment is an output level tweak, under the back cover & adjustable using a screwdriver!

The boost on mine has a tendency to clip unless you back it right off, so I prefer the passive mode - to the extent that I stopped replacing the battery & ended up unscrewing the selector switch & poking it back into the control cavity, to avoid accidentally switching the bass off mid-gig!

Other than that it's a lovely little bass & is still my regular gigging spare, because it's so small & portable. Doubt I'll ever part with it.

Jon.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='863407' date='Jun 10 2010, 03:58 PM']Anyone want one? How about a nice B2A for a mere £100 + P&P (Hijacking thread)[/quote]
Blimey that's a bargain. If I didn't already have one I'd buy that one. :)

J.

My B2A is great and anything under £200 is a bargain as far as I am concerned. They're great for having within arm's reach of the sofa for a quick noodle-along to TV themes, and look pretty stylish in the living room too. They're wonderful for travelling with and sound bloody great, though I only ever have everything on full. The little EMG selects are very well behaved and don't buzz.

My brother has the Jack which is identical except it has a body and a really smoov neck joint, because there isn't one; it just blends!