Why become a member? ×

withdrawn,, im an idiot

bubinga5

[quote name='molan' post='858100' date='Jun 5 2010, 12:39 PM']Wow this looks nice, do you know what the LTD Edition classification was about this compared to the 'regular' Custom Shop CS basses?[/quote]only 100 made Barrie.. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='858268' date='Jun 5 2010, 03:49 PM']only 100 made Barrie.. :)[/quote]

Ah ha, I think I've sussed it now.

The only current Jazz bass from Fender in the Custom Shop Closet Classic or Relic model range is a '64.

This one is a 'hybrid' '70's edition with some elements from both early & late '70's models.

From what I can see it also came in 3-tone sunburst and black - both with with a tort guard, maple neck & black inlays.

Do you know if there was 100 of each colour or 100 in total (in which case yours is maybe even rarer!)?

[quote name='molan' post='858345' date='Jun 5 2010, 05:30 PM']...This one is a 'hybrid' '70's edition with some elements from both early & late '70's models.
From what I can see it also came in 3-tone sunburst and black - both with with a tort guard, maple neck & black inlays.
Do you know if there was 100 of each colour or 100 in total (in which case yours is maybe even rarer!)?....[/quote]

.. wasn't this originally Mark L. (marcus)'s bass (then BossHog, GreyParrot...) ?..
Can't be too many of these around !
I'm sure Mark will have (or probably even remember) the full details: might even be on the original thread (?) ....

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='eubassix' post='858352' date='Jun 5 2010, 05:41 PM'].. wasn't this originally Mark L. (marcus)'s bass (then BossHog, GreyParrot...) ?..
Can't be too many of these around ![/quote]

Spot on David,

I thought I'd seen one like this before - assuming it is the same one then I remember some of the 'fuss' surrounding the last pair of transactions :)

[quote name='molan' post='858345' date='Jun 5 2010, 05:30 PM']From what I can see it also came in 3-tone sunburst and black - both with with a tort guard, maple neck & black inlays.

Do you know if there was 100 of each colour or 100 in total (in which case yours is maybe even rarer!)?[/quote]

May have answered my own question:

"Fender LTD. 1970 Jazz Bass Closet Classic in Natural

Fender is pleased to offer the 1970 Jazz Bass LTD (Natural) guitar in a team-built limited run of 100 instruments. This bass looks as beautiful as it sounds. The two-piece premium ash body has a three-ply white pickguard; the one-piece quartersawn maple neck ('70s U shape) has a gloss urethane finish and white binding, with a 7.25"-radius maple fingerboard, white Pearloid block position inlays and 20 medium jumbo frets. The sound comes from twin vintage-style Jazz Bass single-coil pickups (bridge pickup is 1/4" closer to bridge than normal). Other features include nickel/chrome hardware, vintage-style reverse tuning machines and an American Vintage Jazz Bass bridge. Also included are a Fender Custom Shop limited edition decal and certificate, plus a deluxe black hardshell case (orange interior), strap and cable. This bass features our "Closet Classic" treatment-built as if it was bought new in its respective model year, played maybe a few times per year and then carefully put away. It has a few small dings, a mildly checked finish, lightly oxidized hardware and aged plastic parts."

Looks like there were 100 made in natural finish so not sure what the black and 3TS models were - I found a pair for sale though so they definitely exist, lol.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='857913' date='Jun 5 2010, 03:31 AM']The instrument has nordstrand NJSE 4's and redeemer circuit, its strung with new DR Marcus Millers... it really is a tone MONSTER this bass, as you would expect from this combo...[/quote]

I owned this bass after Marcus and then swapped it with Flanker and not sure where it went next :-)

A great bass for sure. What is the 'redeemer circuit' that you mention? Is that original or did you add it in? Also have you still got the original pickups as opposed to the NJSE's?

Steve