Why become a member? ×

Shoulder pain- strap advice?

chardbass

I use a comfort strap at the moment but wearing my bass has recently become a bit of a problem with me getting pains in the outside of my left shoulder associated with the pressure of the bass on my (pauses to search Wikipedia) trapezius :-)

Are there any straps which spread the load over both shoulders like the Izzo golf bags?

I'm getting treatment at the moment but also trying to ease the pain and the chance of things getting worse.

Any ideas?

I should add that this is as a result of wearing the bass regularly for many sets a night over the past 20 years or so.

Edited by chardbass

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='850854' date='May 29 2010, 01:53 AM']Quick Google for Double Guitar Strap brought this and a few more up. :)

[url="http://www.darestrap.com/"]http://www.darestrap.com/[/url][/quote]
That's the kiddie. One of the guys (Happy Jack, iirc) had a couple of Dare Straps at last years South East Bass Bash. Well worth checking out.

Is Playing sitting down just not an option? seriously, it may be something to consider (health over "cool") I know for some types of music that it isnt an option, but for function/covers bands a high stool with your bass balanced on your knee ...(ridiculous?)

We've been here a few times now :)

Dare Straps, or [url="http://www.sliderstraps.com/"]Slider Straps[/url] is another option. I used the latter with success until my shoulder was replaced 5 or 6 years ago. Still got one knocking about somewhere. Sent the spare I had to niceguyhomer

Edited by WalMan

I saw Michael Manring using two normal guitar straps last year, one normal size and one long one. He had a strap over each shoulder, the long one obviously over the right shoulder. That'd work the same.

I had a similar problem with the comfort strapp. They're too flexible and sink into the bit between your neck and shoulder bone, essentially cutting or restricting the blood supply to your arm.

I now use either a very wide leather strap or a Mono strap, which is tons better than the comfort strapp.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='850865' date='May 29 2010, 03:26 AM']That's the kiddie. One of the guys (Happy Jack, iirc) had a couple of Dare Straps at last years South East Bass Bash. Well worth checking out.[/quote]

The pictures show a guitar with the darestrap.

The strap appears to position the guitar's top horn strap button almost centrally to the player's trunk in the picture. As we all know, a more traditional strap postions the same button more towards the player's left shoulder when using a right handed guitar.

Is this more central positioning typical of forum user's experience with the darestrap ?

cheers

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='851815' date='May 30 2010, 02:00 PM']The pictures show a guitar with the darestrap.

The strap appears to position the guitar's top horn strap button almost centrally to the player's trunk in the picture. As we all know, a more traditional strap postions the same button more towards the player's left shoulder when using a right handed guitar.

Is this more central positioning typical of forum user's experience with the darestrap ?

cheers

T[/quote]
Don't know about the Dare but IME the Slider strap certainly pulls the bass more flat across your body. So while the weight is far better distributed it does pout different strains on your left shoulder

Those Slider straps look really good and not as clumsy looking as the Dare straps. This has got me thinking a trip to the loft is in order to find the double shoulder strap on my old golf bag, maybe with a little customisation.................

Edited by ezbass

I use a Levys M1, at 2.5!" and a Klondyke at 3.5". Both will keep the weight well distributed. However, the thing with wide leather straps is that they need some amount of breaking in, like new leather boots. I didn't use the Klondyke much because of this. Then I lent it to our very moist guitarist when he'd forgotten to put his strap in his gig box.
Two gigs, and it was wonderfully soft! (and fortunately, not smelly!)
The Levys was ok from the start, but has also softened a bit.
Never used anything neoprene, or the Comfort Strapp, so can't comment. But the wide leather ones serve me well, and didn't cause any problems after shoulder surgery a couple of years back.