Why become a member? ×

New Stanley Clarke album - it's good!

urb

Hey All

Just listening to an advance copy of the new Stanley Clarke album and it's actually really pretty good - typical fusion stuff but he plays some pretty funk-tastic bass lines - all on electric - and his solos are really rich and full-sounding - and they even go into some drum and bass and rock things alongside the Chick Corea style latin-jazz-rock a la Return To Forever - and Hiromi is on it too and plays great.

Anyway more here if you're interested:

[url="http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/The-Stanley-Clarke-Band/"]http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/Th...ey-Clarke-Band/[/url]

Cheers

Mike

I haven't seen him live for years, last time was at the RFH I think & I had backstage passes but was way too shy to even say hello in the tiny little bar there. I did say hi to George Duke but only because he spoke to me first, lol.

Great live sound - I know this sounds a bit obvious but he really sounds like he does on the albums - unlike some people who get buried in the mix & you can't hear them properly.

This sounds good. "The Toys of Men" was a real return to form so I'm looking forward to this! Although I am pleased this is an all electric record, I'm worried when Stan says it is the last Electric stuff he'll be doing for a while. I guess I'll be switching off Stanley for a while then because DB playing really does bore me to tears.

Sadly, most of the tracks on the sampler sound pretty bland. However, I'm sure these 30 second clips are never a good way to judge a record. He'll have a hard job beating "The Toys of Men".

He'll have to work even harder to do better than the Animal Logic records, they are just incredible.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='845327' date='May 22 2010, 08:35 PM']I guess I'll be switching off Stanley for a while then because DB playing really does bore me to tears.[/quote]

:) I really like Stanley's upright playing-it's as unique as his electric work.

I've just heard the clips and it didn't sound bad,but I wasn't excited by it. I'll probably still buy it
though.
It's cool that he's got Hiromi on the album-she's a great player-,but I don't really like Ronald
Bruner Jr's drumming.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='847870' date='May 25 2010, 08:07 PM']Oh, I believe Stanley is the best upright player around, but I still don't dig it much!

However, Ronald is a fierce drummer, I absolutely love him. He plays with such fire, like a young Jeff Sipe. Sounds like a bloody artillery battery on the kit![/quote]

I haven't checked what the clips are like on the sampler but as an album I enjoyed it and the full tracks have real life to them, the drumming is very cool, Stan is mainly on electric and plays his ass off. I think there are a couple of tunes on DB and for the record I think his upright playing is great - I guess my original point was that I'm not a big fan of Stan on record but this one was a lot better than I expected... I'm less and less bothered about bass led albums but this one is worth checking out.

Mike