Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'Normal' Rehearsal schedules - EDIT: Oh what an update! Enjoy!

Musicman20

Okay, I've caught up on the thread over on the other forum. Now, I'm not for a second excusing their behaviour - advertising for a new bass player before they've told the current one that he's out is bad form, and I don't think anybody is in any disagreement there. However, one thing that the guy did mention is that in the last 4 months, you've only had 7 rehearsals ([url="http://toonrockpages.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=bandmembers&thread=31298&post=386695"]here[/url]). This is something that I don't think you mentioned here before, Gareth. Taking this particular point in isolation, if they explicitly advertised for a bass player who was willing and able to do 2 rehearsals a week, and your busy calendar has prevented you from being able to attend more than one per fortnight, then objectively speaking I can kinda understand that they might be a bit cheesed off. Doesn't justify their recent behaviour, but it explains why they are so hostile.

Edit: actually, in an earlier post you wrote that the twice weekly schedule has been going on since February ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88287&view=findpost&p=839330"]here[/url]), which suggests that you've actually had at least 20 rehearsals with them. Where's he getting this figure of 7 from? Has he just pulled it out of his posterior?

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

SP - Yep, he appears to have just pulled a random low number out of the bag. At first he mentioned nothing apart from they have to be prepared for gigs they had lined up. They said nothing about the twice a week slots; in fact they just said as long as things are tight the gigs will suffice. That's what wound me up I think.

I believe all in all I've actually been over to the rooms around 18 times in the past few months, and I had no problems with organising dates until this last few weeks. It was the guitarist who couldn't make it last time, and the vocalist was moving house, which I agree warrants time off practice.

I've spent roughly £100 plus on absolutely nothing.

Half of their time is spent rolling fags/smoking fags and 'other' types of fags/PA setup/trying to get vocals in tune.

Ive not really been following this thread too much.
I feel its got the usual basschat dissect every word the other guy says and ridicule it.
I believe everything Gareth has said, no question, but i cant help feeling maybe this thread is causing things to escalate. Im sure the other parties involved know about this thread so its not helping much, other than to generate hysteria amongst the bass playing coven ;-)
It seems to me all the mud slinging in the adds has happened after this thread started, and probably because of it.

IME some bands need to rehearse more than others. and some members of a band need more rehearsal than other members. Its all part of being in a band. You put up with it or leave. Its not ideal, and of course not always the case, but not everyone is up to the same standard.

The business with the PA. A lot of bands (maybe more so the bigger ones) will rehearse with a full (or cut down if your the Rolling Stones) PA. This would help keep a more consistent sound, and is good experience at operating a PA. I guess its the same as us all preferring to use our own gear at rehearsals. When ever i rehearse the studio has full backline but still we take all our amps and drum kit in. That alone wastes another 30mis or so.
Certainly a full PA isnt needed just to rehearse but i can now understand why they might want it set up.
And considering how long it would take to set up and break down i think two nights is a good idea.

I think Gareth has put a lot of effort in to the band, and is not to blame for any of this but i dont think any one is in the wrong. Distance and other commitments are/were obviously getting in the way, but thats also not the bands fault.

Im sure im missing other facts that will show im talking out of my bum again but i felt i just had to get this off my chest.

I do of course wish Gareth the best in the future and hope he can just put this down to a bad experience. I also hope his old band dont get messed about by anyone here, we are all musicians after all and should all be working together (except the drummers, sod em ;-). Im sure they are enjoying what they do and hopefully will find someone who fits in better.

From the outset these guys lied. I don't think any points need to be reinterated.

What's irritating is their behaviour after the fact, of treating Gareth like crap

There's a blatant disregard for the truth. I believe what G says, and I also like to hear what the rest of the people involved had to say without the cover of a computer screen.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='846138' date='May 23 2010, 11:04 PM']From the outset these guys lied. I don't think any points need to be reinterated.

What's irritating is their behaviour after the fact, of treating Gareth like crap

There's a blatant disregard for the truth. I believe what G says, and I also like to hear what the rest of the people involved had to say without the cover of a computer screen.[/quote]

Ok, you see this is the bit im not really clued up on. By "from the outset" do you mean before this thread was started?
If it was afterwards i can sort of understand why they did it, although of course thats no excuse.

I agree they are being very unfair to Gareth but it was he who started a thread about them. From reading the first page i get the feeling Gareth wasn't happy with how they worked, although he did say he thought they were being as professional as possible.
So these guys are doing it their way but Gareth doesn't agree with it because its too much commitment on his part for little return. That happens, but i wouldn't say the band are wrong, just because most of us here dont do it that way.
It also sounded like he was about to jack it in anyway, and it looks like they got in first.

As ive said, im not putting Gareth down, and totally understand why he wasn't happy, but with their bass player publicly almost deciding he had had enough, and all without speaking to them first, i can understand why they started to advertise and why they might be hacked off.

Edited by dave_bass5

Probably what is irritating most people (including me) was the blatant lies involved around the ad they had for a bassist, too which Gareth replied.

They claimed to be big, gigging regularly and getting paid for it. Non of which look to or have turned out to be true.

It wasn't a case of them kicking him before he quit, he talked to them about the volume of rehearsals and they seemed to have thrown a strop, claiming he didn't turn up, wasn't commited, never had gear and only cared about getting paid. Well I'm afraid that if I was offered money to play bass for a big band that gigged regularly

I would be a bit peed off if that after a good couple of months you spent all the time rehearsing the set you know backwards, watching them smoke an set up a proffessional setup for a rehearsal. It also seems the rehearsals were for the vocalists sake.

I feel for Gareth a lot I've been duped countless times by 'pros' who arnt really pros.

If I was in Gareth shoes I probably would have been a bit more forceful of gigging even doing free ones.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='846352' date='May 24 2010, 11:09 AM']Probably what is irritating most people (including me) was the blatant lies involved around the ad they had for a bassist, too which Gareth replied.

They claimed to be big, gigging regularly and getting paid for it. Non of which look to or have turned out to be true.

It wasn't a case of them kicking him before he quit, he talked to them about the volume of rehearsals and they seemed to have thrown a strop, claiming he didn't turn up, wasn't commited, never had gear and only cared about getting paid. Well I'm afraid that if I was offered money to play bass for a big band that gigged regularly

I would be a bit peed off if that after a good couple of months you spent all the time rehearsing the set you know backwards, watching them smoke an set up a proffessional setup for a rehearsal. It also seems the rehearsals were for the vocalists sake.

I feel for Gareth a lot I've been duped countless times by 'pros' who arnt really pros.

If I was in Gareth shoes I probably would have been a bit more forceful of gigging even doing free ones.[/quote]

Yeah, like i said, i did miss out on a few posts. I guess my posts are more to do with the topic and not whats going on now. Ive been trying to read the thread and i can see all the lies that have come from the bands side.
I also feel for Gareth and its a shame it all went tits up like this.

Edited by dave_bass5

Over the weekend Ive had my old drummer up visiting. I used to play with that guy all over the UK for literally no money. I definitely miss the adrenaline rush of playing that type of music so Im thinking of just committing myself to the originals band Ive got going and leaving the covers scene again.

Dont get me wrong id like to do it, but Im a bit wary of joining bands I dont know anything about now....Id rather wait it out and join something with people I know or join a more 'fun' outfit thats a little more honest from the word go.

I joined a covers band years back when I was 15, and I was handpicked from a group of people by my tutor and he basically told them to get me in. I recorded for them, rehearsed once a week, and played paid gigs. No hassle, good lads, and they were at least 6-7 years older than me. This recent issue was nowhere near as fun or relaxed. Its Rolling Stones covers; it doesnt take more than a few moments to get upto speed. :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='846371' date='May 24 2010, 11:36 AM']Over the weekend Ive had my old drummer up visiting and we played for free all over the UK...[/quote]

Sounds like a busy weekend!! :rolleyes:

Don't let this recent turn of events put you off covers bands in the North East. There are some great bands made up of great guys who are also (at least many of them) great musicians. Just do a bit more research first and ask more questions at the outset! :)

When signed, we would rehearse every week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for around 10 hours a day. This would be working on the set, especially if gigs coming up, writing and working on new songs, record company bussiness and the odd game of headers and volley. Friday, Saturday and Sundays would be for gigs and Monday we would have as our day off. Plus studio, promotion etc could be on any day it happens on. We did work very hard at it.

[quote name='Linus27' post='848964' date='May 26 2010, 09:55 PM']When signed, we would rehearse every week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for around 10 hours a day. This would be working on the set, especially if gigs coming up, writing and working on new songs, record company bussiness and the odd game of headers and volley. Friday, Saturday and Sundays would be for gigs and Monday we would have as our day off. Plus studio, promotion etc could be on any day it happens on. We did work very hard at it.[/quote]

If I was signed I'd be more than happy to devote my life to it!

Alas, the band I have left were nowhere near that stage.

I envy your experience :)

The main problem is now I feel very apprehensive joining other covers bands.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='848977' date='May 26 2010, 10:05 PM']If I was signed I'd be more than happy to devote my life to it!

Alas, the band I have left were nowhere near that stage.

I envy your experience :)

The main problem is now I feel very apprehensive joining other covers bands.[/quote]

I can understand that. I joined a band last year that turned out to be full of losers. Total wasters in love with themselves. Dented my confidence and desire to join another band. Just hang in there, put it down to experience and look for the next challenge. Stick with it, your a good bassist and some band will be more than happy to have you playing for them.

[quote name='Linus27' post='848964' date='May 26 2010, 09:55 PM']When signed, we would rehearse every week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for around 10 hours a day. This would be working on the set, especially if gigs coming up, writing and working on new songs, record company bussiness and the odd game of headers and volley. Friday, Saturday and Sundays would be for gigs and Monday we would have as our day off. Plus studio, promotion etc could be on any day it happens on. We did work very hard at it.[/quote]

I wish I had this schedule.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='849023' date='May 26 2010, 11:09 PM']I wish I had this schedule.[/quote]

It was very hard work and very tiring, but we made it that way ourselves. We knew we were very fortunate and lucky to have a record deal and tried not to abuse it. We chose our own routine and stuck to it. Even on days we did not rehearse, I still set myself a routine of being up by 10am to spend some hours songwriting or working on songs. It would had been very easy to fall into the trap of staying up late and getting up late in the day and sitting back doing nothing all day. Looking back and knowing what I know now, to be honest, I would had worked twice as hard at it but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not so much at the rehearsals but the bussiness and managing side of things. Still, best time of my life but also a massive release of pressure when it ended if I'm honest.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Musicman20' post='848977' date='May 26 2010, 10:05 PM']The main problem is now I feel very apprehensive joining other covers bands.[/quote]
Don't be. Stick around Ginger Gits for a while, read the threads, and you'll soon find out that the "Losers" are few and far between. (We name and shame them as well.) Don't let your experiences with a bunch of tosspot Wannabees put you off. It's great up here. man! :rolleyes:

Quick edit for afterthought:-
Stop telling everyone how great your Gear is, and how wonderful you are. It might be, and you might be, but it comes across as pretty arrogant reading. "Good Gear and loads of experience" sounds so much better. Just my two pennorth about the Geordie mindset. :)

Edited by BigAlonBass

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='849144' date='May 27 2010, 08:35 AM']Quick edit for afterthought:-
Stop telling everyone how great your Gear is, and how wonderful you are. It might be, and you might be, but it comes across as pretty arrogant reading. "Good Gear and loads of experience" sounds so much better. Just my two pennorth about the Geordie mindset. :)[/quote]
Put more politely than I could :rolleyes: