Why become a member? ×

Build Diary - RIM Marseer 6 Custom

pantherairsoft

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='918946' date='Aug 8 2010, 06:59 PM']Chris bud,

Congrats on getting married!

Robbie.[/quote]

Thanks Robbie!

Appreciate it bud. Was an awesome day. Wedding disco was very popular, Primus, Tool & Faith No More for the first 3 tracks! :)

Having a chill out day today, finish packing tomorrow and then off to Dubai on Tuesday!

Thanks for you super hard work on the Marseer thus far! This last update really shows how quick you're moving and the extreme high quality you're producing!

Shep

• 3 weeks later...

And more updates!!!!

Headstock drilled for machine heads/sperzels and the RIM logo cut out (but not fitted)...

Control section all drilled and pots fitted...

I am truly impressed with Robbies workmanship & dedication to the project. Seriously great.

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='deksawyer' post='939802' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:50 AM']Looking good.

And I still think that headstock design is the best in the business!!

D.[/quote]

I had that very conversation last night with a friend of mine. Amazing how a boring headstock 'can' ruin the overall look of a bass. He is a long time Stingray player and wouldn't play anything else... But we both agreed on the RIM shape being the coolest headstock on the Market, followed by the LeFay shape (the curvy one on the Remington Steele)... We couldn't decide on a 3rd.

Hi people. Just back from a morning at Robbies.

First off, what a top bloke. Friendly, professional and an impeccable taste in music. I was also more than delighted to be greeted with a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich. Now THAT'S customer service!

Took a few pics on the trusty iPhone, most of which are nothing you haven't already seen, but it's so stunning you can't have too many pictures of the Marseer.

Robbie offers plenty of flexibility in the build process, an wile I have been pretty specific already about components, he found a few other things for me to make a decision over.

Size & Colour of side dots - Robbie had a few options on offer and a million more option he could lay his hands on. We settled on 2.38mm brass tube, with the centre filled in black. Guna' look killer!

RIM logo - Robbie had a good choice of pre-prepared 'R' logo's for the headstock in all manner of woods. Pic of my choice...

Pickup switching - The Delano's come with option switching for series/single coil/parallel and a few other options as well. As the Aguilar pre has plenty of EQ on tap as well as a switch to select mid frequency, adding another 2 switches seemed overkill. Plus, having sampled the pickups and pre before, I felt they offer me everything I need. As such they will be wired in series with no switching options. Pics of the body with the lovely pickups in place...

And for good measure another pic of the awesome fishtail and the current state of the (somewhat square) neck, being lovingly watched over by Boba Fett...

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='947865' date='Sep 7 2010, 02:03 AM']I'm already considering an unlined fretless singlecut version of the Marseer as well…. oh dear...[/quote]

Always cool when you have a matching pair of something.

I hear socks are a popular choice... :)

They are indeed. It was an unforeseen addition, but required due to the radius of the fingerboard clipping into the side dots due to the massive width of the board... Thankfully Robbies eye for detail has chamfered the board edges off in a way that looks great and feels very natural.

I'm actually glad the situation came up as I really do love the way it looks.

Edited by pantherairsoft