Why become a member? ×

Build Diary - RIM Marseer 6 Custom

pantherairsoft

Determined to have the line up I have been planning for some time of a Fretless and 2 Fretted 6's, there was only really one option for the last choice.

I have been a fan of Robbie's work since I first saw the Marseer about 12 months ago. Since then I have ummm'd and ahhh'd over having one made. A few things have worked out well this year and I decided it was time to take the plunge. I am more than happy with my Roscoe 6 Fretless, and with the GB Spitfire 6 inbound, the Marseer was the only choice.

I love how different it looks, and am a huge fan of the fish-tail and slotted headstock. I have spent some time discussing this with Robbie, and I'm pretty sure he's bored of my questions, but it seems we have settled on something that suits my needs and that I am very excited about.

If you that have not seen a RIM Marseer, they look something like this… [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=9653&view=findpost&p=458904"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=458904[/url] and, [url="http://www.rimcustombasses.co.uk/pages/gallery.htm"]http://www.rimcustombasses.co.uk/pages/gallery.htm[/url] (There are 5 and a 6 string Marseer's in the RIM gallery with the slotted fishtail design).

For those of you that have read this far/are interested, here is the spec we are working with…

6 String RIM Marseer Custom
35" scale Maple/Wenge Bolt-on Neck with RIM-style slotted headstock
Ebony nut
Honduran Rosewood Board (Side dots only)
Black Limba Body with RIM-style slotted fish tail & Matching control cavity cover
Myrtle Top and matching Headstock
Black Hardware (Hipshot O-Ring Knobs, Schaller Strap Locks etc.) and custom fish tail bridge
Aguilar OBP3 Pre-amp
Delano SBC 6 HE/S Pickups
18.5mm String Spacing

All in all its going to be gorgeous.

To get it all started, here is the Myrtle top we are running with.

Shep.

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='gilmour' post='838585' date='May 16 2010, 02:10 AM']Awesome I love Robbies work.[/quote]

Agreed! Very original and very stylised. I'm not a huge fan of traditional really, it takes something really special in a classic shape to appeal to me (although there are the odd ones), but Robbie's stuff just does it for me, and his finishes are always stunning

[quote name='mcgraham' post='839484' date='May 17 2010, 08:46 AM']I'm pleased to hear things have come together well for you. You do realise, of course, that you will be required to let me test drive each of them at some point :)[/quote]

I'm sure that can be arranged... I'd like to give your fretless another go at some point as well... Determined not to let that fretboard all the way to the pickup stuff defeat me :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='873985' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:48 PM']Provided Robbie with measurements for the location of the pickups... Here's the results! (Not my Fretboard, it's just there to get an idea of positioning on the template.

[/quote]

Looking awesome dude :)

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='880838' date='Jun 29 2010, 12:20 PM']argh~!! get it done quick, just looking down the pics creaming, and no finished article, i may be nearly as excited as you!![/quote]

Ha! Send Robbie a message and tell him to hurry up for me! ha.

having just had a look at some of Robbies work im really looking forward to seeing this come together :) i really like the marseer shape but its the headstock that really got my attention. beautiful design all round! Out of interest, does he work in 33" scale for 6 string?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='885084' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:10 PM']I'm pretty sure he'd make any scale you wanted if you asked nicely... This is a 35", but I doubt he'd object to 33".[/quote]

i may just do that. not that im looking for a build right now but ive begun to get an itch to have something really special made at some point :)