Why become a member? ×

Build Diary - RIM Marseer 6 Custom

pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='962633' date='Sep 20 2010, 07:46 PM']They are indeed. It was an unforeseen addition, but required due to the radius of the fingerboard clipping into the side dots due to the massive width of the board... Thankfully Robbies eye for detail has chamfered the board edges off in a way that looks great and feels very natural.

I'm actually glad the situation came up as I really do love the way it looks.[/quote]

Cool :)
It does look awesome, I bet it'll feel real nice too.
I'm sure it was Jim Fleeting who told me that Carl Thomson's bass necks are one complete smooth shape with no edges, so the edge of the fingerboard is radiused into the fingerboard radius and the whole thing into the neck profile. Sounds simple, but apparently it's a real head f**k to do, but probably worth it I'm sure :rolleyes:

Eude

I'm loving the look of this bass

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='962633' date='Sep 20 2010, 07:46 PM']... It was an unforeseen addition, but required due to the radius of the fingerboard clipping into the side dots due to the massive width of the board...[/quote]

I think it looks awesome and just assumed that it was a clever design feature you'd spec'd because in my head it really makes sense.

If you'd never said anything we'd have all thought it deliberate :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='962745' date='Sep 20 2010, 09:27 PM']I'm loving the look of this bass

I think it looks awesome and just assumed that it was a clever design feature you'd spec'd because in my head it really makes sense.

If you'd never said anything we'd have all thought it deliberate :)[/quote]

You're prob right! It is a pretty nice design feature, almost makes the most of the smart 'filled-tube' side markers.

I just realised this is going to be a fretted bass! I assumed it was going to be fretless - no idea why! I think Robbie's Marseers look stunning with huge fretless fingerboards. Still going to look stunning either way :)

Nottingham is turning into a capital for custom boutique basses!

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='965809' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:48 PM']Has your friend considered that they don't necessarily have to play the B string up the 3rd octave? In any case, your friend could always bring their thumb round the front of the neck for reaching the low B up there... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thumb over the top of the board!!!!??????!!!!! Are you mad :)

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='969668' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:53 PM']im not biased and i concur entirely!![/quote]
[quote name='deksawyer' post='969672' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:54 PM']I'm thinking the same thing!![/quote]
[quote name='eude' post='969674' date='Sep 27 2010, 04:57 PM']+1,000,000 :)[/quote]

At least I'm not alone then!

I've just read my way through the thread from the start and I can't believe this has all come on since May 16th! I love this instrument and I don't even have it yet! I've been through build processes before with different luthiers but this one is very special. Very special indeed.

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft

Looking great matey, Robbie's headstock design is a masterpiece!
Not long before this bass is done then? :)

Side note, I don't suppose you've compared the Overwater strings to any DR Nickel strings have you?
I've got Nickel DR Lo-Riders on my ACG which I love, lots of midrange but not overly bright, easy on the fingers and flexible, but they need replacing. I've always used Sunbeams on my Shuker until recently, same deal as the Lo-Riders, just slightly less bark, but it's string up with Nickel Rotos at the moment, really really not my bag, quite harsh and firm by comparison, even on the 33" scale and it's stopping me playing the damned thing!...
Just wondering if the Overwaters are anything like the DRs, as the DRs are expensive to buy in the UK and it's a pain in the ass shipping them from the US.

Cheers,
Eude

Tonally I find the Overwaters very similar to DR Black Beauties (which would look awesome on the Marseer) which a good friend of mine swears by. I have never tried the Low Riders so would not wantto comment.

I find them quite bright and good in the upper mids. I tried so many brands I lost track until 2 years ago when I took a punt on a set of Overwaters and have never used anything since. Plus the price in a 6 string set is sooooooo reasonable!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='975288' date='Oct 2 2010, 06:44 PM']Tonally I find the Overwaters very similar to DR Black Beauties (which would look awesome on the Marseer) which a good friend of mine swears by. I have never tried the Low Riders so would not wantto comment.

I find them quite bright and good in the upper mids. I tried so many brands I lost track until 2 years ago when I took a punt on a set of Overwaters and have never used anything since. Plus the price in a 6 string set is sooooooo reasonable![/quote]

Thanks for that dude!
Yeah, the pricing is very keen.
How about feel, are they softer than usual or are they tight? As far as I recall, most of the DR strings are slightly easier going, used to use Hi-Beams a long time ago when I "played" 6 string fretless :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='975297' date='Oct 2 2010, 06:52 PM']Thanks for that dude!
Yeah, the pricing is very keen.
How about feel, are they softer than usual or are they tight? As far as I recall, most of the DR strings are slightly easier going, used to use Hi-Beams a long time ago when I "played" 6 string fretless :lol:

Eude[/quote]

I find them pretty soft under finger but the sound is by no means soft. I originally went from mediums to light to try and reduce friction as I have sensitive little fingers :) Through my search the Overwaters were the smoothest feeling of all of them. There is great string tension, but the way they are wound just works so well, almost like they are coated... But they aren't. OW strings are one of those things in the bass world that I don't understand as to why everyone doesn't use them.

Cost & performance to me nothing comes close.