Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro

Raggy

Ello

Anyone have any views or experiences with the SVT 4 Pro.

Thinking about a change, never used any sort of Ampeg before and am kinda interested in one of these.

I am getting some great warm sounds with my LM3 through the Berg NV412 but would like lots more clean headroom.

Cheers :)

Well, I've owned two SVP preamps - which the SVT4 Pro shares with the mighty SVT2 Pro (which I have also owned) and think they sound great! I've not used the SVT 4 myself, ut I can't imagine it would sound too much different to the SVP with a power amp. Stag has just gotten an SVT5 Pro and have to say that sounded impressive, so all round - I like 'em!

I had one of those love/hate relationships with my old one, until it went bang! Very powerful, sounded like an Ampeg and weighed like a battleship. I used to be quite happy using it with a Stingray and Ashdown cabs, the combination seemed to work well. If you like the sound you have at the moment wouldn't one of the more powerful valve preamp Markbasss heads be a better choice?

I've just bought an SVT Pro 4...absolutely loving it, weighs a ton, but worth it for the sound. I'm using it for reggae/dub and it performs marvelous and only just ticking over. Loads of options with tone and wiring - for me the perfect amp....as long as our drummer continues to carry it for me! :) Eden amps are nice too for warmth, but the Ampeg does my reggae sound just that little better. :rolleyes:

[quote name='dood' post='833388' date='May 10 2010, 06:25 PM']Well, I've owned two SVP preamps - which the SVT4 Pro shares with the mighty SVT2 Pro (which I have also owned) and think they sound great! I've not used the SVT 4 myself, ut I can't imagine it would sound too much different to the SVP with a power amp. Stag has just gotten an SVT5 Pro and have to say that sounded impressive, so all round - I like 'em![/quote]

Since you've tried, listened to the two of them:

How would you compare the SVT 4 and 5? Just talking about the sound not the specs, combinations, wattage, etc...
Is the drive channel any good on the 5? Or you'd be better off with the 4 and a pedal to add the overdrive?

[quote name='PauBass' post='834445' date='May 11 2010, 05:36 PM']Since you've tried, listened to the two of them:

How would you compare the SVT 4 and 5? Just talking about the sound not the specs, combinations, wattage, etc...
Is the drive channel any good on the 5? Or you'd be better off with the 4 and a pedal to add the overdrive?[/quote]

The drive on the pro 5 is the same as on the BSP, and its bloody f***ing Amazing!

[quote name='PauBass' post='834445' date='May 11 2010, 05:36 PM']Since you've tried, listened to the two of them:

Is the drive channel any good on the 5? Or you'd be better off with the 4 and a pedal to add the overdrive?[/quote]

The 4 and the 5 although completely different beasts (indeed the clean channel schematic is completely different) - Tonally they still have the 'Ampeg' thing going on. I think they both sound great - good full tone and have plenty of options tonally - obviously as you have pointed out, the 5 has the dirty channel that you can run on it's own, or mixed with the clean channel (or clean on it's own) - I think with even just a few minutes of playing you can find a good crunchy bite - all the way too out and out filth! - You *can* make the distortion sound grotty if that's your thing - but with a bit of experience you can get the drive to sit in the mix with the clean sound and it sounds great.

Do I think you could do the same with a pedal - well - no, unless you *start* with something like an M80 that allows you to mix in the clean bass tone as well - and even then, you may not have EQ on both signals as you would with the SVT 5 of course - unless you started adding more and more pedals. I rather like the idea of having everything in one box!

On the flipside - The 5 distortion channel can not cover ALL the distortion type bases and thus you may feel you want to use a different distortion in a pedal to cover those tones - e.g. Catalinbread SFT / BDDI / Big Muff.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='834522' date='May 11 2010, 06:48 PM']The drive on the pro 5 is the same as on the BSP, and its bloody f***ing Amazing![/quote]

Yep, it's the same preamp - and the SVT 5 has an Octaver thrown in too. It is very good.

[quote name='dood' post='834604' date='May 11 2010, 07:42 PM']The 4 and the 5 although completely different beasts (indeed the clean channel schematic is completely different) - Tonally they still have the 'Ampeg' thing going on. I think they both sound great - good full tone and have plenty of options tonally - obviously as you have pointed out, the 5 has the dirty channel that you can run on it's own, or mixed with the clean channel (or clean on it's own) - I think with even just a few minutes of playing you can find a good crunchy bite - all the way too out and out filth! - You *can* make the distortion sound grotty if that's your thing - but with a bit of experience you can get the drive to sit in the mix with the clean sound and it sounds great.

Do I think you could do the same with a pedal - well - no, unless you *start* with something like an M80 that allows you to mix in the clean bass tone as well - and even then, you may not have EQ on both signals as you would with the SVT 5 of course - unless you started adding more and more pedals. I rather like the idea of having everything in one box!

On the flipside - The 5 distortion channel can not cover ALL the distortion type bases and thus you may feel you want to use a different distortion in a pedal to cover those tones - e.g. Catalinbread SFT / BDDI / Big Muff.

Yep, it's the same preamp - and the SVT 5 has an Octaver thrown in too. It is very good.[/quote]

[quote name='dood' post='834608' date='May 11 2010, 07:43 PM']The 5 definitely has the more options and flexibility, if that wasn't obvious in my rambling![/quote]

Thanks for your advice Dood...I gather you prefer the 5 then?

I think I'm sold on the SVT 5. I'd like a crunchy tone, not too clean, not too dirty either. I remember seeing on Youtube a video from Matt Freeman, Rancid, talking about his gear and he was playing through a 5 Pro...The tone was amazing, clean but with that great crunchy bite.

Yeah, I like the 5! You used to own an M80 didn't you? I would say as a pedal, you could get close to some of the sounds on the SVT5 - but having heard Stag's SVT5 recently - yeah, it's a great piece of kit.

Im loving the SVT 5 - cant recommend it highly enough! The only thing that lets it down is the compressor, not the best... but everything else is just super smashing great as Jim Bowen would say. The octaver is pure sub sound, awesome noise! The drive channel has a boost button to get extra aggro and fith out of it, absolutely splendid :)

[quote name='dood' post='834923' date='May 12 2010, 12:08 AM']Wow! I was just posting an old rig pic elsewhere and found this! It's probably the only pic I have of my ole Sheehan Pre!

[/quote]

haha, the BSP! As dood well knows ive perved over one of them for a while, but given their rarity I had to go for the SVT5 when it came up. Not regretting it!!! (Although my back muscles might in time, hehe)

[quote name='PauBass' post='835983' date='May 13 2010, 10:52 AM']Seriously considering the 5 Pro now guys. Thanks!

I´m using a Mesa 400+ at the moment, would this be good move?[/quote]

Well, its not going to sound like the Mesa, but it will sound pretty damn sweet!
In terms of weight, it will be much lghter than the 400+, but still be pretty hefty!
I didnt get on with my 400+ and was off to buy an SVT of some sort after selling it (think I wanted the CL or VR at the time) when I came across the 4 PRO and 5 PRO.
I really loved both after trying them.
I did really like the 5PRO´s distortion and octave thingy, but the 4PRO sounded [i]slightly[/i] warmer and rounder-even on the same EQ settings.
Actually the shop I tried them in were really cool- they let me run both, each one through an 8x10 at the same time, so I could just pop out the cable from the amp and try each one in real time without messing around at the back with a bunch of cables. After a good solid A/B type run through, I decided 4 PRO.
In the end I wasn´t able to get one (the shop sold both the 4 and 5 in a week) and then Ampeg changed hands and the supplier became unreliable.
I came across the B500DR (a US made Ampeg digital 4 channel amp) in another shop and after a quick demo, I left the shop with it and a nice bit of change!
I later decided I wanted an all valve sound too and got lucky on a trade for my guitar rig- Marshall VBA400 halfstack.
Had given up on the SVT thing for ages, but nothng can really kill ´1st Dream Rig GAS´, can it?
I´ve found a US 4PRO, not too expensive and in great condition and I´m off to pck it up next wednesday! :rolleyes: cant wait!

So hopefully, in a week´s time, I´ll have three pretty decent rigs:

All Valve: Marshall VBA400 and two VBC412´s, (all UK built)
Hybrid: Ampeg SVT4PRO and two Ampeg BSE 410HLF´s (all US built)
Digital/SS: Ampeg B500DR and Trace Elliot 1524 2x15 (US and UK)

Neighbours will be pretty annoyed, but I´m pretty sure I´ll be sorted amp-wise! :)

Cool! Be sure to post your findings with the 4 Pro when you`ve had time to give it a good run out!

I gotta say, my 5 Pro and the SVT610 is basically the sound ive always wanted... id always GASsed since a kid for the SVT2 stack but the 5 Pro actually suits me a whole lot better.

[quote name='Stag' post='836077' date='May 13 2010, 12:39 PM']Cool! Be sure to post your findings with the 4 Pro when you`ve had time to give it a good run out!

I gotta say, my 5 Pro and the SVT610 is basically the sound ive always wanted... id always GASsed since a kid for the SVT2 stack but the 5 Pro actually suits me a whole lot better.[/quote]

Just got back from collecting the 4 PRO-
Don't think I can wait to plug it in, but the neighbours will freak,
So tomorrow afternoon will have to do- lucky I have a half day at work... :)

Have had my SVT Pro4 for 3 weeks now and it is like a liquid silk explosion except louder, but anyhow i love it to bits. I'm now running two SVT4x10HLFs too (Bonkers) but easier to move around than the fridge, plus i prefer the hlfs as they go lower. But yeah the sVT pro 4 is a winner-i've tried many types of eq now and it has an awesome tone for pretty much any genre. After years of trailing Mark bass, Eden, Hartke, Trace Idiot, Genz Benz, crAshdown & Warwick i am finally GAS free for my main rig.........for now :) (and as long as my roadie drummer will carry it for me:lol: )

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='basshead56' post='842716' date='May 20 2010, 12:17 AM']Quick question with regard to the 4 PRO, what is the best footswitch for it?[/quote]

IIRC you can 'MUTE' and switch the EQ in and out with the footswich can't you? In that case - pretty much any two button footswitch with a Stereo 6.3mm plug on the end. A Marshall 2 button switch will suffice - infact - on ebay there's a whole bunch of 'clone' switches available that you can get for under a tenner.

Looks like this

and are wired like this

[quote name='dood' post='845052' date='May 22 2010, 01:08 PM']IIRC you can 'MUTE' and switch the EQ in and out with the footswich can't you? In that case - pretty much any two button footswitch with a Stereo 6.3mm plug on the end. A Marshall 2 button switch will suffice - infact - on ebay there's a whole bunch of 'clone' switches available that you can get for under a tenner.

Looks like this

and are wired like this

[/quote]

thanks Dood,
Actually have two of these (Marshall switches) lying around doing nothing, so will plug that in and check it out.

One last thing,
If I were to run the 4PRO mono bridged with the appropriate speakon cable, would an Ampeg SVT610hlf be able to handle it solo?
I understand this feature is ideally intended to be used with the 810 cab, but just wondering if the 610 would cope well enough power-wise?
At the moment I am running it in dual mono with a pair of Ampeg BSE410HLF´s-(one out of poweramp A and one out of B ) and it sounds pretty sweet, but a US built 610 (and road-cased) has popped up nearby and Im just wondering if it would be worth taking the punt?
Cheers,
Col

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='basshead56' post='846869' date='May 24 2010, 09:12 PM']thanks Dood,
Actually have two of these (Marshall switches) lying around doing nothing, so will plug that in and check it out.

One last thing,
If I were to run the 4PRO mono bridged with the appropriate speakon cable, would an Ampeg SVT610hlf be able to handle it solo?
I understand this feature is ideally intended to be used with the 810 cab, but just wondering if the 610 would cope well enough power-wise?
At the moment I am running it in dual mono with a pair of Ampeg BSE410HLF´s-(one out of poweramp A and one out of B ) and it sounds pretty sweet, but a US built 610 (and road-cased) has popped up nearby and Im just wondering if it would be worth taking the punt?
Cheers,
Col[/quote]

Yes, you will be able to run the SVT 4 Pro bridged in to the 610. The bridged power amp, according to the manual is able to drive a 4 Ohm load @ 1200W 'continuous'. In reality, normal bass playing is not able to attain 'continuous' 1200W - The 610 cab will be able to handle 90% of situations - I have to say, having heard the BSE410 and the SVT610 - the 610 seems to sound twice as big, due to that extended bottom end - but - the two 410s are still moving more air, given the extra two speakers. So you could gain with one hand and lose with the other depending on what you want.

I have to say, personally I would go for the 610. My mate Stag has one paired with the SVT 5 Pro and it's a beast!