Why become a member? ×

OMG- I think I've just bought something special!!

Old Horse Murphy

First meeting of the week. Monday morning in Lewisham. Took me ages to get there, pissing with rain etc.

Before I went in to my meeting, I decided I'd kill a few minutes browsing in a few shop windows.

Cash Converters had a Rickenbacker Chris Squire in their display!!!

I felt sick, dizzy and slightly panicky. I rubbe dmy eyes but it was there alright!

Cut a long story short, it's a genuine Chris Squire Ltd Edition, no case or certificate but it's real.

I got in to a bidding war with somebody else in the shop and basically I won. he even shook my hand afterwards (nice guy).

I'm not going to get a chance to play with it tonight and sat through the whole meeting feeling elated but slightly worried too (it wasn't cheap).

If this Riccy plays like any of the other Riccy's I 've had in the past, it's going to be a short love affair. I've never got on with them. However, just to say I owned a Chris Squire for a short period of time is a good thing.

I'm going for a lie down now, but Pics to follow.

Okay, but you're all sworn to secrecy.

I paid £1650 for it which I simply don't have at the moment.

I've done a bit of research on it and one went recently (with case etc) for £2.9K and I've been offered £2K for it if it doesn't float my boat.

I feel a bit better for getting that off my chest.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='90755' date='Nov 19 2007, 12:03 PM']Thats a great deal Well done! I'm sure if you don't like it you will get +£2K for it quite easily, Like I said on my Crack Converter thread I wonder how much they bought it for :)[/quote]

I've just seen your thread and agree entirely. I don't think I want to know how the previous owner came to own it either...

You certainly should do a "reasonable amount" of searching to make sure it's not nicked, preferably before the deal is cold.
At least call the local police station.
If it is stolen property and you sell it on Ebay and the police come round and pick it up you get nothing. Zero, de nada in compensation and you probably have no come back on CC either.

I think your wife may have a few words to say if that happens .....

[quote name='OldGit' post='90813' date='Nov 19 2007, 02:01 PM']You certainly should do a "reasonable amount" of searching to make sure it's not nicked, preferably before the deal is cold.
At least call the local police station.
If it is stolen property and you sell it on Ebay and the police come round and pick it up you get nothing. Zero, de nada in compensation and you probably have no come back on CC either.

I think your wife may have a few words to say if that happens .....[/quote]

I actually phoned the local Police station at lunchtime, as well as check on a few of the Rickenbacker forums. Nothing on any of them. I also got confirmation from CC that they had done the appropriate checks/ID verification so I'm happy with that :huh:

As for my wife....she took it calmly. I think I'm in for a whole heap of trouble when I get home :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy