Why become a member? ×

4 strings too much? Try a 2 string

Prime_BASS

[quote name='yorick' post='833036' date='May 10 2010, 01:22 PM']PMT in Brum currently have the Sandberg 2 string.[/quote]

Really? I can't see it on their web site.

And since no-one has yet posted a photo of the most iconic of 2-string basses I thought I might as well:

[quote name='Spoombung' post='832883' date='May 10 2010, 10:45 AM'][/quote]

That will be ok, its got 'mojo' new bridge and a good setup :) I have been on a mission to try and find a picture pre fire but no luck so far. Even found a MusicMan website with rare basses and it wasnt on there. Saw a very cool sterling made for Nine Inch Nails though.

This is me with my Longbow (I'm the big guy on the left):

I once noticed one of these on eBay a few years ago and wanted one badly but didn't buy it because I feared it would just be a gimmick. After that, Longbow went out of business for a couple of years and they became impossible to find. I then found the one on the right secondhand and bought it immediately. It is the standard model (righthanded, 30") but because of the strap button placement I had some balance issues with it when playing it upside down. All of a sudden, in October 2009, they popped up again on eBay in offers by Longbow themselves, so I sold it to the other guy in the pic and ordered a proper lefty (and 32" scale this time).

Longbow is/was a small American company that makes these of a single quare piece of solid figured maple. They're very well-made and have some interesting features. The pickups, for example, are custom-made stacked humbuckers and the ABM Mueller monorail bridge parts are recessed into the body with 'string-through-body' stringing :rolleyes:. Mine has the regular pickup placement, but they were also available with 'EB pickup placement', with the pickups in the famous Gibson mudbucker-position for an even deeper tone.

The sound is somewhere between an upright tone and the tone of a fretless Precision, and very dynamic. These came stock with flatwounds, and they're still on mine. They don't come with a gigbag, but they fit into a rifle bag perfectly so that's what I'm using. You should see the look on peoples faces when I walk by with it :). It was even more fun when I still had long hair and a long black coat.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='835165' date='May 12 2010, 12:20 PM']Where's the second strap button on the longbow?[/quote]

On the back of the instrument, at the 5th position, on the bass side.
So when I still played the righty upside down, it had a tendancy of tipping forward (and the position of the other strap button didn't exactly help either :)). I resolved that by folding the strap over the instrument at the bottom, which kept it from tilting.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the "Punk Bass" series from [url="http://www.krappyguitars.com"]www.krappyguitars.com[/url]

More than anything, you have to read their company manifesto...

[i][b]KRAPPY GUITARS--Krapmeister Kevin Siebold
relays the philosophy that guides our efforts:

Our instruments are built for frugal people
who aren't very concerned with regard to
quality, construction, materials, or safety.

The instruments are crafted from whatever
we find suitable. Pedigree of wood is not
a priority for us. We might get it from
a local hardware store, or use some old
shipping crates, or skids. Who knows??!!

If you are intrigued enough to purchase,
we will provide you with a complete history
for your instrument. The history might be
akin to this:

Wood: leftover 2x4 from a construction site.
Strings: used about 3 years ago on an old guitar.
Pickups: some buncha crap we snagged from some guy.
Electronics: whatever we can scrounge up!

Our warranty: There is no warranty, expressed or
implied. We fully acknowledge our product is crap, and
your purchase signifies that you have entered into an
agreement to buy a product that is lacking in quality,
contains poor materials, and is worthy of much abuse
and destruction. We will in no way provide any
customer service, so don't even waste your time!!!
[/b][/i]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='tredders' post='838468' date='May 15 2010, 09:41 PM']Yup, it was still there last Monday when I popped in.[/quote]

Any idea how much they want for it? I can't see it listed on the PMT web site.

And OTPJ Krappy have already been mentioned at least twice on the first page of this thread.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='838488' date='May 15 2010, 10:02 PM']Any idea how much they want for it? I can't see it listed on the PMT web site.

And OTPJ Krappy have already been mentioned at least twice on the first page of this thread.[/quote]

I didn't notice, to be honest. If it's in line with their other bass stuff, probably well over the odds!